The Student Room Group

Too many young mums knocking about

Scroll to see replies

Original post by politics_student
Then, don't have children?

And what about those who have jobs and then lose them?
Original post by Kibalchich
I don't think you understand **** all about **** all.

Are you going to answer my question?
Original post by Kibalchich
So no one in the country should have kids until we have full employment? Really?

If people are going to start a family, they should have enough money to be able to support them.

Original post by OU Student
And what about those who have jobs and then lose them?

Those people are fine, in the sense that they weren't able to predict their loss of job. It's irritating when people have children without a job, because the money will have to come from somewhere, and more often than not it's from the taxpayer.
Original post by politics_student
If people are going to start a family, they should have enough money to be able to support them.

Define "enough money"? Some people manage to feed and bring up their families on very little money.
Original post by laurenbowes
No. It is both participants' job.

When people choose to have children is up to them. Having children young doesn't mean you are uneducated. Not every young mother lives off benefits.

Didn't realise you were psychic.

And why is it that you instantly assume this? Could it be perhaps that the fathers of these children are the ones unwilling to face up to the responsibility, leaving the women to care for the children, even though it is a joint responsibility?

No one blames the men for the pregnancy. They blame them for refusing to help once it has happened.

This is basically the complete opposite of what is true 99% of the time.
Define "enough money"? Some people manage to feed and bring up their families on very little money.

Enough money to be able to give the child a basic start in life, in terms of nutritious food, adequate shelter, warm clothing, etc. I believe other factors are important too, such as emotional support and living in a secure home. Therefore, my argument is that people should be able to provide a lifestyle for their family (preferably in marriage) almost independently from the state.
Original post by Jabberwox
I think they seem to be following some trend. Get pregnant. Announce it on Facebook. Have baby scans. Put baby scan as profile picture. Have baby shower. Upload baby shower pics on Facebook. Have the baby. Announce it on Facebook to gather 500+ Likes.

At least 15 people in my year group - no exaggaration - have done exactly that and followed that exact pattern with their babies. It's an utter joke. I swear they are having children for the wrong reasons, including getting benefits and a flat.

To be perfectly honest, I don't really have a problem with 'young mothers' (though I'd draw the line at having a baby at say, 15 or younger). It's just when they have babies for the wrong reasons - e.g. following the trend, wanting a house, benefits, or because there's 'no alternative'. And a lot of the mothers I have seen fall into one or more of those categories. The child does not have a stable home because the mother is still living with HER mother, or her boyfriend's mother, or whatever, and nine times out of ten, they don't have a job, and don't even stay with the so-called father of the baby. Their lives are currently too unstable for a child to be brought up in.

If they had a house, a stable relationship with a guy, and a job, and THEN decide to have a baby, I wouldn't have a problem with it, even if they are only 18. But it's rare that a woman that young would have any of those things anyway. It appears a lot of 'young mothers' do it the opposite way; have a baby, and then expect the benefits/house, etc. when it shouldn't be like that. I wouldn't even consider children until I am in a house, married and a stable job. Sorry.

Really good post.
Original post by Lilrascal19
Nothing wrong with a 'council estate lifestyle.'

I'm quite they aren't losing any sleep over your views.
Get off your moral high horse, stop being so judgemental of people you hardly know anything about and focus on you.

Can tell you're still a student. Wait until you're paying for their todlers' Nikes. Oh and their rent, utilities, repairs, food and everything else (both mother and her multiple kids) while you do 40 hour weeks and can barely afford your own necessities.

It's fine when we're talking about genuine charity cases who have fallen on hard times through no fault of their own and they need a helping hand.

But when it's a lifestyle choice, as it so often is, it's a piss take.
You don't. You're just making assumptions.

Yeah OP is a mong, how dare he make an assumption on something with a 99% likelihood?
Original post by KimKallstrom
Yeah OP is a mong, how dare he make an assumption on something with a 99% likelihood?

Where does this 99% come from?
:rolleyes:

Er, no. Some young men are killed at war. I have a friend who spends a lot of time raising his son single handily due to have a wife who is ill.

Be honest, do you think there are enough of the above in comparison to the lifestyle choicers to dispute OP's general rule?

Your posts in this thread seem to be like:

OP: "Men are taller than women"

You: "No, some women are taller than some men. My mum is taller than by brother. You are wrong. Stop generalising. Not all men are taller than women, therefore you are wrong to say that men are taller than women."

Look, exceptions to the rule don't matter. Jessica Ennis is stronger than Stephen Hawking. Who cares?
Where does this 99% come from?

You honestly don't get it, do you? You don't get the error you've been making throughout this thread?
Reply 392
I actually just feel sorry for their kids. Their chances at doing well in life are so much lower.
Original post by Sheldor
Not taking sides here, but is prostitution a key part of human existence which hae existed since the very first humans/whatever humans evolved from/one of the basic defining characteristics of living things?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is the oldest profession, after all.
You honestly don't get it, do you? You don't get the error you've been making throughout this thread?

What error? Not all single mums sleep around.
Original post by liamb109
It is the oldest profession, after all.

I would say Farmer, nanny or chef takes that title.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 396
What if people with criminal records weren't allowed to seek benifets? What if young women (and men for that matter) were given free pills, condoms, spermicides and encouraged more throughout school to go to college, or uni, or work hard and make something of themselves? What if the 'chav' lifestyle was deglorified for what it really is?
Original post by Granthi
What if people with criminal records weren't allowed to seek benifets? What if young women (and men for that matter) were given free pills, condoms, spermicides and encouraged more throughout school to go to college, or uni, or work hard and make something of themselves? What if the 'chav' lifestyle was deglorified for what it really is?

What happens if the contraception fails? None is 100% safe.
Reply 398
These women you hate so much are raising the next generation of front line soldiers.

Give them some credit.
Can tell you're still a student. Wait until you're paying for their todlers' Nikes. Oh and their rent, utilities, repairs, food and everything else (both mother and her multiple kids) while you do 40 hour weeks and can barely afford your own necessities.

It's fine when we're talking about genuine charity cases who have fallen on hard times through no fault of their own and they need a helping hand.

But when it's a lifestyle choice, as it so often is, it's a piss take.

Well that's clear as it is in my signature.

By what you've said, it seems as though you're in that position, which as you have already politely put it, is a 'lifestyle choice.'

I know plenty of single people (parents may I add) working 40+ hours a week with children... Young children and they don't seem to be complaining & managing just fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending