The Student Room Group

Biomedical Science Applicants 2013 Entry!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by bahonsi
Now, am so confused. Is it worth doing the IBMS degree? i mean i can always do maters and PhD at another research university when the time comes right?

If you're thinking of doing a PhD, I suggest you don't do an IBMS accredited degree. Accreditation just means you can work in the NHS as a biomedical scientist. If that's not what you want to do, non-accredited courses are usually far more flexible (as they don't have to follow IBMS guidelines), allowing you to focus on areas you find interesting.

But yes, if you decide you want to become a biomedical scientist, you can get accredited later.
Original post by morotibaby88
Well, stay encouraged. Manchester is competitive, yes, but it's not impossible to get in. I know they don't give offers without an interview; if you were invited to one, would yoube able to go to it? If you received an offer from Manchester, would it be your firm choice and king's your insurance?
I wish you the best!

Well, now on my second thoughts I think that King's is really well-known and won't be hard for me to find a job later. On the other hand, my brother is living in Birmingham and it would be alot more easier to be in Manchester not far from him. And the other thing is that in Manchester I got this 1 year in industry which sounds good. Still, I don't have any answer from Manchester and I think I would write King's as my firm choice, still i wait 3 more offers and have time to re-consider things.
What about you? Did you receive your offer from Edinburgh and which course would you make firm if you can't go in Edinburgh. Meanwhile, what do you plan to do in the future with your degree because I am not interested in applying Medicine later? :smile::colone::tongue:
Reply 382
Anybody got an offer for biomed from dmu?
Reply 383
Original post by lgsk
I have an offer from Sheffield as well and am considering firming it. Could you tell me a bit about what the course at Sheffield is like?

I have also received an offer from Sheffield and I think it will be the one of my two choices, but I dont know which one yet since it is not accredited! As far as I know, seeing the course' syllabus...I think it is a little more based on Chemistry than Biology!!(correct me if i am wrong). And since I enjoy Biology much more than Chemistry I am a little bit worried that it will not suit me! Hope that that has helped!!!
Reply 384
Original post by vic166
I have also received an offer from Sheffield and I think it will be the one of my two choices, but I dont know which one yet since it is not accredited! As far as I know, seeing the course' syllabus...I think it is a little more based on Chemistry than Biology!!(correct me if i am wrong). And since I enjoy Biology much more than Chemistry I am a little bit worried that it will not suit me! Hope that that has helped!!!

I definitely want to do an unaccredited degree as I have no desire to work in the NHS :tongue: Where did you see that it's more Chemistry based than Biology? From what I can remember on their website, it looked pretty Bio based to me...
I am seriously struggling with regards to where to choose. Which would anyone choose out of Warwick and Sheffield? Or if anyone is studying at either of these could you give me a bit of info about them. I'm worried that, if I go to Sheffield - city uni -, I won't feel as comfortable as I would if I was at somewhere like Warwick - as it's campus based.
Original post by harrietbrookes
I am seriously struggling with regards to where to choose. Which would anyone choose out of Warwick and Sheffield? Or if anyone is studying at either of these could you give me a bit of info about them. I'm worried that, if I go to Sheffield - city uni -, I won't feel as comfortable as I would if I was at somewhere like Warwick - as it's campus based.

Id say sheffield as warwick is not as good for biomed. And sheffield is amazing lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Coolina133
Id say sheffield as warwick is not as good for biomed. And sheffield is amazing lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay now I'm flapping because the course at Birmingham (medical science) sounds much more like the kind of thing I'd be interested in and a bit more medically based if that makes any sense ha?
Original post by Coolina133

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sheffields the most medical based haha. Its even the only uni that allows biomedical students to do full human dissection as if a med student

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 389
Is anybody going to the Surrey Applicant Day on wednesday 6th? :smile:
Reply 390
Original post by lgsk
I definitely want to do an unaccredited degree as I have no desire to work in the NHS :tongue: Where did you see that it's more Chemistry based than Biology? From what I can remember on their website, it looked pretty Bio based to me...

Well, since they require only chemistry and not biology in my offer, I assume that it is more Chemistry based. Btw, where would you like to work after your degree??
Reply 391
Original post by Waterstorm
Everybody misinterprets the accredited biomed course. It is not needed for anything except 1 job - being a biomedical scientist in an NHS lab. Just that 1 job out of the million other careers you could take. You can do any job in the NHS except for that 1 specific position.

At least as far as I know anyway, please correct me if this is wrong.

Well, since I am not sure about the job I want yet (including the choice of the biomedical scientist), it is difficult to choose whether to go for an accredited degree or a non-accredited! Can you please point out some carreers that I can go for apart from the one of the biomedical scientist?
Reply 392
Original post by vic166
Well, since they require only chemistry and not biology in my offer, I assume that it is more Chemistry based. Btw, where would you like to work after your degree??

Hmm from looking at the course the only modules that would be heavily chemistry based in the first year seem to be Physiology and Pharmacology though?
As for working after my degree, it's a bit premature for that :P But I do know I don't want to work in the NHS as a Biomedical Scientist and I want to get a masters degree.
Reply 393
Original post by lgsk
Hmm from looking at the course the only modules that would be heavily chemistry based in the first year seem to be Physiology and Pharmacology though?
As for working after my degree, it's a bit premature for that :P But I do know I don't want to work in the NHS as a Biomedical Scientist and I want to get a masters degree.

:smile: What other unis did you choose apart from sheffield??
Reply 394
Original post by eet001
Is anybody going to the Surrey Applicant Day on wednesday 6th? :smile:

Hey!
Yes, I will be going to the Surrey applicant day tomorrow (as long as the weather isn't too bad) and am kind of excited/nervous!
Have you been to any other applicant days yet?

Hope to see you there,
Florence :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 395
I've got offers from Newcastle, Cardiff (Anatomy), Surrey, Southampton and UEA and I still have no idea what to put as my first choice...
The offers for Newcastle, Southampton and Cardiff are AAB and Surrey and UEA are ABB.
Does anyone know which of the five is the best for biomedicine?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vic166
Well, since I am not sure about the job I want yet (including the choice of the biomedical scientist), it is difficult to choose whether to go for an accredited degree or a non-accredited! Can you please point out some carreers that I can go for apart from the one of the biomedical scientist?

Scientist Training Programme, or managment graduate scheme - both with the NHS. Management consulting, any graduate scheme including Apple, Amazon, Civil Service, TeachFirst etc. Possibly going into retail, sales, pharmaceutical, business, finance. Anything bascially.
Original post by Flogga
I've got offers from Newcastle, Cardiff (Anatomy), Surrey, Southampton and UEA and I still have no idea what to put as my first choice...
The offers for Newcastle, Southampton and Cardiff are AAB and Surrey and UEA are ABB.
Does anyone know which of the five is the best for biomedicine?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Southampton have some very good research constantly going on.
Reply 398
Original post by Waterstorm
Southampton have some very good research constantly going on.

True, but do you know which is the best in terms of biomedicine rankings?
I was thinking of maybe putting Southampton first and Surrey as my insurance but it's so hard to decide!
Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 399
Original post by vic166
:smile: What other unis did you choose apart from sheffield??

Sheffield, Newcastle, Dundee, Durham and Warwick. Offers from all of them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending