The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Uni of Edinburgh - 2nd year entry on UCAS form?

Hi,

I know that Scottish students tend to enter uni at 17 rather than 18. I want to apply to U of Edinburgh's biomedical sciences program, where they have an option for 2nd year entry. Should I select 2nd year entry on my UCAS form? I'm applying as an English student btw - considering that and the fact that I exceed the AAB entry reqs (predicted 4 A*s), can it be regarded as a safety uni?

Original post by Calliope5Chalice
Hi,

I know that Scottish students tend to enter uni at 17 rather than 18. I want to apply to U of Edinburgh's biomedical sciences program, where they have an option for 2nd year entry. Should I select 2nd year entry on my UCAS form? I'm applying as an English student btw - considering that and the fact that I exceed the AAB entry reqs (predicted 4 A*s), can it be regarded as a safety uni?

Edinburgh reject around half of the people who apply - even if you meet or exceed the standard offer I would never recommend considering it a safe option
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by PQ
Edinburgh reject around half of the people who apply - even if you meet or exceed the standard offer I would never recommend considering it a safe option

Feel free to disagree; you're correct about the acceptance rate (according to google it's a little over 50%) however surely they don't reject people without holistically considering the application? From the website, I can see they consider predicted grades, GCSEs, and the PS. My grades are perfect, PS packed and teacher recommendations prove I'm well-rounded (that's something they also like to see apparently). I know that rejection can still occur, but I'm sure of the fact that there would be no justifiable reason to reject me based on that criteria. I've already been accepted by Leeds (A*AA) and I wanted a 'grade safety' which Edinburgh's entry requirements provide. Surely it's worth applying given that context?
Original post by Calliope5Chalice
Feel free to disagree; you're correct about the acceptance rate (according to google it's a little over 50%) however surely they don't reject people without holistically considering the application? From the website, I can see they consider predicted grades, GCSEs, and the PS. My grades are perfect, PS packed and teacher recommendations prove I'm well-rounded (that's something they also like to see apparently). I know that rejection can still occur, but I'm sure of the fact that there would be no justifiable reason to reject me based on that criteria. I've already been accepted by Leeds (A*AA) and I wanted a 'grade safety' which Edinburgh's entry requirements provide. Surely it's worth applying given that context?

My daughter is also applying for biomedical sciences. It is very oversubscribed, and for her option (neuroscience) they only give offers to 35% of Rest of the UK applicants. I think the broader biomedical sciences is the same. I agree, I can't see any reason why you would be rejected, but when we went to the open day they were pretty clear that the AAB offer is a minimum and heavily implied that applicants would need higher grades (possibly considerably higher grades?) to be considered. We had a chat with one of the lecturers about 2nd year entry. It is possible but far from guaranteed - it is competitive and there are only a limited number of spaces. Those who do go straight into 2nd year often struggle initially. Most will catch up and be fine, but it does tend to make for a stressful first year. We didn't ask what grades would be needed for 2nd year entry, but I suspect pretty high. After this conversation my daughter decided she would rather just go for 1st year entry and take the extra year, particularly as she would like to do a year abroad in her 3rd year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending