The Student Room Group

Biomedical Science Applicants 2013 Entry!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JohnBoradfield
Its the University of

http://medipathways.com/

Its an accelerated course which you need a minimum of BBB at Alevel. If its not too much to ask can you have a look and tell me what you think?

I appreciate the help.

Looks good albeit the content seems somewhat squished into the two-year duration.
Reply 581
Original post by cfost
Oh great :biggrin:
Do you have facebook?

Yup! :smile: I'll pm it to you
Hi guys!

I'm an international student and have never been to the UK, so I really don't know what to choose other than what I read in the brochures.

I've got an unconditional offer in both University of Manchester and University of Sheffield for Biomedical Sciences, and a conditional offer from University of Bristol for cellular and molecular medicine. And quite frankly, I have NO IDEA where to go.

Any advice would be great. I'm mostly concerned on the quality of the degree and the safety of the place. Thanks guys, I'd really appreciate it!
Reply 583
Original post by HarryMWilliams
Which university is that?

My understanding of university courses, is the first year is typically spent catching people up and getting to the same point in their basic understanding which can then be used during Years 2 and 3.

It really is what you put into the degree you can go to Oxford and still come out with a 2:2, its hardwork that really pays off. Its also true you can do the degree in two years, am coming from the non traditional route since the only science i did at A-Level was maths i enroled on some type of foundation course which is equivalent to 3 Science A-levels, and i have appiled straight to year 2 of Bio-med, and have all my offers. May i also point out my course is so simliar to most students on a life science course, e.g med, bio med, nursing, pharm e.t.c, and the content is so similar that it wouldnt make any sense if i were to start from year 1 as i would just be repeating another year.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 584
Original post by JohnBoradfield
Ok, I have had a look and this University are offering a 2 year BSc in Biomedical Sciences instead of 3.
It sounds too good to be true, but apparently you complete earlier than others with proper accreditation.
What do you think since you said its about what you put into the degree that counts.

It really is what you put into the degree you can go to Oxford and still come out with a 2:2, its hardwork that really pays off. Its also true you can do the degree in two years, am coming from the non traditional route since the only science i did at A-Level was maths i enroled on some type of foundation course which is equivalent to 3 Science A-levels, and i have appiled straight to year 2 of Bio-med, and have all my offers. May i also point out my course is so simliar to most students on a life science course, e.g med, bio med, nursing, pharm e.t.c, and the content is so similar that it wouldnt make any sense if i were to start from year 1 as i would just be repeating another year.
Reply 585
Original post by supaabzz
I have applied for Biomedical Science without full A2 chemistry.
I'm doing AS because university of Lancaster requires C grade minimum at AS-Level, and I think I will be able to get that.
I applied: Manchester/Lancaster/Aston/Surrey/Brunel. Only one university requiring AS Chemistry, rest are fine without it.
It's a disadvantage If you want to go certain uni. I wanted to apply Southampton, but i cant because of chemistry.

Hi what a levels did you pick then? did u do maths instead of chemistry

Thanks
Original post by AvatarKorra
Hi guys!

I'm an international student and have never been to the UK, so I really don't know what to choose other than what I read in the brochures.

I've got an unconditional offer in both University of Manchester and University of Sheffield for Biomedical Sciences, and a conditional offer from University of Bristol for cellular and molecular medicine. And quite frankly, I have NO IDEA where to go.

Any advice would be great. I'm mostly concerned on the quality of the degree and the safety of the place. Thanks guys, I'd really appreciate it!

Then Sheffield University is the best place to go...:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AvatarKorra
Hi guys!

Team sheffield !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 588
Hi Guys, I dont understand how this works :frown: Currently Im sitting my as subjects and Im applying for unis in September/October, can I apply with lower grade than the required grade? Will I get a conditional offer?
Reply 589
I was just wondering if someone could give me a little advice? I'm in year 12 and I'm currently doing chemistry, biology, maths and English. I'm most likely going to drop maths next year but I have no idea what career I can go into with what I've got. I know I won't get in for medicine as its so competitive and biomed sounds interesting but I'm not sure ill be passionate about it. Plus I'm not really sure where it would lead me, any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lola M
I was just wondering if someone could give me a little advice? I'm in year 12 and I'm currently doing chemistry, biology, maths and English. I'm most likely going to drop maths next year but I have no idea what career I can go into with what I've got. I know I won't get in for medicine as its so competitive and biomed sounds interesting but I'm not sure ill be passionate about it. Plus I'm not really sure where it would lead me, any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those are my a-levels too! :biggrin: and i dropped maths.(Im hopefully doing biomed at King's) Don't write off medicine until you get your final results, if that's what you want to do, and even if you don't get the grades you still have a chance at applying for postgrad medicine. From what i've been told its a bit of a myth that they prefer biomedicine, if you did any life science you could still apply and have a good chance (i was talking to someone who got in after doing zoology)- and with biology and chemistry you can pretty much apply to any life science course. At King's they said that out of the 38 people who got a 1st in their biomed degree and applied to medicine, 38 got an interview and 36 got in. (something like that) .. i always wanted to do biomedicine and i think medical research is where the career possibilities lie :smile: or the NHS as a biomedical scientist. Maybe have a look around some unis at their biomed modules too see if you like the look of them? Its a really great degree if you like the science behind medicine :smile: Sorry if this isn't helpful, i'm procrastinating and i got excited that someone else was doing sciences with english :P Goodluck! x
Reply 591
I was also looking into Soton, but didn't get the offer:frown:
I contacted a few other medical schools about best way for graduate entry to medicine and one of them recommended this:

http://medipathways.com/video/

They also have a 6-year course in Medicine in Poland, except the first 2 years this are taught in London and you get this BSc. too..

Sounds like a new course cos I never heard of it before...
Original post by Cribster
I was also looking into Soton, but didn't get the offer:frown:
I contacted a few other medical schools about best way for graduate entry to medicine and one of them recommended this:

http://medipathways.com/video/

They also have a 6-year course in Medicine in Poland, except the first 2 years this are taught in London and you get this BSc. too..

Sounds like a new course cos I never heard of it before...

DON'T STUDY MEDICINE IN POLAND! really. it sucks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 593
Original post by v_nelson
Hi Guys, I dont understand how this works :frown: Currently Im sitting my as subjects and Im applying for unis in September/October, can I apply with lower grade than the required grade? Will I get a conditional offer?

Yep,you sit your AS exams this summer,and what grades you get,your teachers will predict what you might get at the end of A-Level. The predictions could either be the same grade you got at AS,one grade higher or two.
Most teachers are realistic at this point and they'll either predict you the same grade or a grade higher,depending on what they think your potential is.
You then apply for university in October-December,depending what course you're applying for and universities will look at your predictions and offer you a place. If your predictions meet their entry requirements,they'll give you a conditional offer. If not,they'll just reject you.
Reply 594
Original post by lastlullabyy
DON'T STUDY MEDICINE IN POLAND! really. it sucks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I would rather not be in Poland, but hopefully the BSc will get me in before then :smile:
Original post by F02r
Do they look at GCSEs if you're applying for Biomedical Sciences?

Which universities do you think I should apply to with 3As 7Bs and 1C? I was thinking about KCL, but heard that they are really strict on GCSEs - is this true? :confused:

Check with the universities you are interested in as each are different, It is your A/AS levels that are important.
Original post by Lola M

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am a second year biomed at Lincoln and I love it. Different universities have different modules for their courses, have a look around where you think you might like to study and at the course, just make sure it is accredited. ask anytime if you would like to know more :smile:
Original post by Coolina133
Team sheffield !!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely Sheffield
Reply 598
Hi

Are there any mature students starting Biomedical Science at University of Sheffield in Sept ?? :smile:
Original post by CharCat
Hi

Are there any mature students starting Biomedical Science at University of Sheffield in Sept ?? :smile:

There probably will be, but there are some of us in every year. All 3 years tend to interact so you wont feel left out of anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending