The Student Room Group

Honestly, do you consider it as a useless postgraduate course?

A master in International Business?
Reply 1
Yes, but if it is from an elite universities it can be worth it for the prestige, recruitment prospects and connections.
Reply 2
Not as useless as a master in International Hotel Management. :wink:
Or a surfing degree.
Reply 4
Uhm..I need to believe it may also depend on your capacity to sell yourself and your degree..Honestly I don't really understand how could a business degree be useless in this globalised world, considering for example that relations between nations and international trade are one of the most important keys of politics and economy.
Anyway it is important while studying, to focus on learning other skills that you would be able to offer one day, like foreign languages, experiences abroad etc..
Why are you doing it? If its because work opportunities at the moment are rubbish and this fills in a year in a seemingly productive way, then do it. If its because you think it will open up a world a wonderful job opportunities as soon as you have finished it, think again.
Reply 6
I never studied business before. I have a BA in international relations and I am supposed to keep studying something related, but I really have no intention to do it and that is because I see very poor job prospects/offers in this field.
That explains why I am changing and aiming something more connected with business/economy that can be well combined with my BA.
Considering this world is governed by economy, I see not many options and I believe it is the wisest thing I can do.
Reply 7
Original post by EvanM300
Uhm..I need to believe it may also depend on your capacity to sell yourself and your degree..Honestly I don't really understand how could a business degree be useless in this globalised world, considering for example that relations between nations and international trade are one of the most important keys of politics and economy.
Anyway it is important while studying, to focus on learning other skills that you would be able to offer one day, like foreign languages, experiences abroad etc..

Um, yes, but these are the kinds of things you learn about in economics and international relations degrees - not usually in business degrees. The question to ask is:what do you actually learn during the course of this degree that a prospective employer would find useful? I am aware of one international business degree that offers partnerships with companies so that its students can do actual case studies as part of the course, and I can see why that would be useful to someone wanting to go into consulting for example. I'm not sure all or even most of them offer this type of thing?
Reply 8
most of universities don't even have an internship programme at the end of the course

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending