The Student Room Group

Biomedical sciences & physician associate

I'm currently studying btec level 3 national extended diploma in health and social care.
I would like to attend uni and study biomedical sciences then do a postgraduate degree in physician associate.
Is it worth it?
Is it hard to get a job as a PA in the UK?
It's worth it if that's what you want to do. In no field will jobs just land in your lap. You need to work towards getting them through grades and work experience.
Original post by Zahra840
I'm currently studying btec level 3 national extended diploma in health and social care.
I would like to attend uni and study biomedical sciences then do a postgraduate degree in physician associate.
Is it worth it?
Is it hard to get a job as a PA in the UK?
I’m graduating from Biomedical science next year and have considered studying for the physicians associate qualification. I spoke to my university careers advisor about it so I can pass on the info she gave me!
1 - physicians associate study is incredibly intense, more so than undergraduate study. So even after completion of your BMS degree, you’re looking at two further years of demanding study so it takes a lot of commitment, 5 years in total.
2 - entry to physicians associate courses require a 2:1, as do graduate medicine degrees. So for an extra two years you could qualify as a doctor and have better career and income prospects.
3 - ‘Apparently’ conversion from physicians associate to a doctor isn’t well structured. So you could potentially be stuck in the same job role for a long time!

Like I said, This is only the opinion of one careers advisor but I hope it’s useful! Also, physicians associates are relatively new in the NHS but it’s thought that demand will increase in years to come therefore job searching shouldn’t be too hard!
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi, I’ve just graduated, I did a Biomedical science degree and got a 2:1 and I’m considering both medical school and to be a P.A. I also did level 3 BTEC in health and social care, honestly the amount of science you get given in health and social care is hardly anything compared to what you’ll do in Biomed, doing a foundation year in Science helps, bear in mind a lot of the students in your course would have done A levels in biology, chemistry and maths. If you want to be a P.A I suggest you do the undergraduate course UCentral Lancashire offers, rather than doing Biomed first, if I knew this course existed I wouldn’t have done Biomed. Since Biomed is very laboratory based, nothing related with patient care.
Reply 4
Original post by Mayguerra63
Hi, I’ve just graduated, I did a Biomedical science degree and got a 2:1 and I’m considering both medical school and to be a P.A. I also did level 3 BTEC in health and social care, honestly the amount of science you get given in health and social care is hardly anything compared to what you’ll do in Biomed, doing a foundation year in Science helps, bear in mind a lot of the students in your course would have done A levels in biology, chemistry and maths. If you want to be a P.A I suggest you do the undergraduate course UCentral Lancashire offers, rather than doing Biomed first, if I knew this course existed I wouldn’t have done Biomed. Since Biomed is very laboratory based, nothing related with patient care.

Hey at the end what career path did you decided to take and why at the end x
Reply 5
Original post by Mayguerra63

Hi did you struggle a lot with the exams or coursework because u didnt study sciences at college? Could you please give some advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending