The Student Room Group

Extra A-level

I am in year 11 and starting sixth form in September. I am still very unsure what career I want to go into. I have applied for physics, chemistry, maths and further maths for a-level. However, I am still considering a career in medicine, which I have a passion for, but I don't enjoy biology as much as the other subjects.Is it reasonable to do Biology A-level as well as the other subjects? Is there a way of doing this after school/on weekends online?
A levels are a huge step up from GCSE and the 4 will be more than enough. I think you might be able to do it online yes or see if your local college has an evening course you can do for biology. Or even consider swapping further maths for biology.
Reply 2
Original post by brmora17
I am in year 11 and starting sixth form in September. I am still very unsure what career I want to go into. I have applied for physics, chemistry, maths and further maths for a-level. However, I am still considering a career in medicine, which I have a passion for, but I don't enjoy biology as much as the other subjects.Is it reasonable to do Biology A-level as well as the other subjects? Is there a way of doing this after school/on weekends online?

If you want to go into medicine, (nearly) all med schools will be fine with you not doing biology as you are already doing physics, chemistry and maths. Only a small minority require you to have biology.

If you don't like biology, I wouldn't take it. You already have what you need for medicine.
Reply 3

Reread your question and realised I didn't actually answer your question, sorry.

I wouldn't do 5 A-levels, no matter how smart you are. As Hannah said, if you want to do biology I would swap it out for further maths. Pretty much all med schools don't care about further maths apart from Oxbridge.

Take a look here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422
I reckon it's 100% not worth it taking 5 A levels, and 4 is a lot anyway, especially while having to do UCAT/BMAT, interviews etc alongside A levels. There are plenty of medical schools that don't require biology, but if you wanted to keep your options open or particularly like the sounds of some med schools that require biology, you could consider dropping further maths? However, if you're likely to get a B or below in biology, that would make your application a lot harder, so if you're more likely to get the A in maths or physics, don't bother with biology. It would be very hard to learn at home, just because of the required practicals, but if you really wanted to maybe you could arrange to do the practicals at school?

Hello! I am currently facing the same dilemma. Can I ask what you decided to do?
Reply 6
Original post by Erudite2021
Hello! I am currently facing the same dilemma. Can I ask what you decided to do?

Hi! I decided to stick with my original 4: maths, physics, chemistry and further maths. I honestly wouldn’t stress about it too much as any of the science alevels can get you involved in any career. Just do the ones you know you’ll do well in and enjoy. I know that if I did biology too I would’ve done good in it but it is definitely not worth the added stress and I probably would’ve stopped it by the end of Year 12. I’ve decided not to go into medicine but I know that there are other possible routes into it (ie a postgraduate degree in medicine or a gap year to do a biology alevel). I would honestly say now don’t do it and just enjoy sixth form. Good luck and let me know how it goes!
Hi! I decided to stick with my original 4: maths, physics, chemistry and further maths. I honestly wouldn’t stress about it too much as any of the science alevels can get you involved in any career. Just do the ones you know you’ll do well in and enjoy. I know that if I did biology too I would’ve done good in it but it is definitely not worth the added stress and I probably would’ve stopped it by the end of Year 12. I’ve decided not to go into medicine but I know that there are other possible routes into it (ie a postgraduate degree in medicine or a gap year to do a biology alevel). I would honestly say now don’t do it and just enjoy sixth form. Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Thank you!!
Original post by Erudite2021

Only 1/3 of medical schools require A-level Biology in any case, the others are perfectly happy to accept applicants with chemistry + another science/maths subject.

Quick Reply

Latest