The Student Room Group

La Sociedad Española

Scroll to see replies

kellywood_5
I know you don't need the subject with the verb, but can't you use it sometimes for emphasis or when it might not be absolutely clear who you're talking about? That's what my course says anyway.

Yes, you can, but I've never done that.
Jammertal
Yes, you can, but I've never done that.

Ah, OK.
kellywood_5
I know you don't need the subject with the verb, but can't you use it sometimes for emphasis or when it might not be absolutely clear who you're talking about?
yeh i was always under that impression too..
I think you can use the subject when it's something like "estaba", where it can mean "it was" or "I was"... or when you're saying something like "He thinks this, but I think that...", you can use yo to emphasise that it's now your opinion.
Yo soy is fine, but rarely used, I believe. And I didn't find your original sentence ambiguous at all, Kelly. :smile:

Jammertal
gerund: estoy estudiándolo desde 2 anos (where's the ~?)

Shouldn't it be desde hace?
Hashshashin
Yo soy is fine, but rarely used, I believe. And I didn't find your original sentence ambiguous at all, Kelly. :smile:

Thanks for the help, everyone :biggrin:
kellywood_5
Thanks for the help, everyone :biggrin:

De nada! :p:
Hashshashin

Shouldn't it be desde hace?

Yep it should. Thanks. :biggrin:
¿alguien puede explicárme las diferencias entre el español (de España) y el español sudamericano?

He visto que algunos de mis libros fueron publicado en EE.UU y naturalmente ¡no quiero aprender a habler como un mexicano!
Reply 149
kellywood_5
I know you don't need the subject with the verb, but can't you use it sometimes for emphasis or when it might not be absolutely clear who you're talking about? That's what my course says anyway.

Yup:smile:
You can use it/not use it whenever you want really. I find that I only use it either to make it clear what I'm on about (i.e. if there's a lot of 3rd person verbs in a sentence) or sometimes for fun when I'm talking in 1st person (I like to pronounce my 'yo' half-way between a 'y' and a 'j':smile: )
Jammertal
Imperative: Pagadlo con tarjeta, but no lo pagad con tarjeta
There are some other rules as well, but I can't explain them in English. :redface:

That's not quite right. Remember negative imperatives take the subjunctive. So it "No lo pagueis"

And Kelly- the pronoun can go before or be tagged on to the infinitive.

Puedes hablarlo
or Lo puedes hablar (slightly more common in speech)

This work for most verbs

Tengo que irme ( I have to go)
or
Me tengo que ir
Richy Rich$$
That's not quite right. Remember negative imperatives take the subjunctive. So it "No lo pagueis"

And Kelly- the pronoun can go before or be tagged on to the infinitive.

Puedes hablarlo
or Lo puedes hablar (slightly more common in speech)

This work for most verbs

Tengo que irme ( I have to go)
or
Me tengo que ir

Richy Rich$$

:redface: You're right. And you can even use the subjuctive for some positive imperatives (ud and uds forms, v rarely used though)
Wow. Too many complex linguistic words being thrown around here... :confused:
Richy Rich$$

I always forget this use of the subjunctive, I reckon it must because I don't really use many imperatives. Or in fact any!
Reply 155
leannemann
I always forget this use of the subjunctive, I reckon it must because I don't really use many imperatives. Or in fact any!

I can't say I've ever used an imperative, let alone a negative one! Especially not in a written paper, I'm too lazy to work in dialogue:rolleyes:
What is an imperative :confused:.
Reply 157
brimstone
What is an imperative :confused:.

Basically an order, like 'clean your room now' or 'pick that up!'
Don't worry about it though, chances are you won't need to actually use it, especially not at GCSE.
I thought so, but I wasn't sure. Is 'silencio' one?
brimstone
I thought so, but I wasn't sure. Is 'silencio' one?

It's used as an imperative, but it's the Latin/ Spanish noun for 'silence' and not the imperative form of a verb.
A 'real' imperative would be !cállate!- same as shut up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending