The Student Room Group

La Sociedad Española

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
hahaha some hispanic guy on without a trace just went "get outta the way maricon!" to this other guy and i laughed and my parents were like "wha? what does that mean?" i left them in suspense :rolleyes:
magnad
You want a man and a woman?!

Greedy sod :p:

:frown: Sorry
Reply 1582
Mr. Jim
hahaha some hispanic guy on without a trace just went "get outta the way maricon!" to this other guy and i laughed and my parents were like "wha? what does that mean?" i left them in suspense :rolleyes:

Lmao I love it when that happens! I always look smugly at my mum whenever someone speaks Spanish on the tele. You should have seen me when we went to watch Volver!
Yes linguists are a very open minded bunch it would seem, which can only be good i spose. Quite a lot of females too. A language degree is pretty much a straight man's dream:rolleyes:
Reply 1583
oi paddo, what do you have to do for your TEFL course?
Reply 1584
Mr. Jim
oi paddo, what do you have to do for your TEFL course?

Pfff buggered if I know! It's so embarassing when people ask me what certain things I do involve and I have nooooo idea. Like when I applied to IBM and people asked me what I'd be doing if I got the job, all I could do was make an indeterminate noise, shrug and run away :indiff:
Reply 1585
hehehe well it sounds useful whatever it is. tho methinks with it being how to teach english to foreigners the need to use foreign languages will be absent since those are the rules of being british. my english language teacher was given a class to teach and she can only speak english, i don't get what happens when they want to ask questions!

tho she did have some funny stories -

*thick scary russian accent* "loch ness monster. is real?"

*same thick scary russian accent* "what is difference between quilt and eiderdown?"

heh
Reply 1586
Mr. Jim
hehehe well it sounds useful whatever it is. tho methinks with it being how to teach english to foreigners the need to use foreign languages will be absent since those are the rules of being british. my english language teacher was given a class to teach and she can only speak english, i don't get what happens when they want to ask questions!

tho she did have some funny stories -

*thick scary russian accent* "loch ness monster. is real?"

*same thick scary russian accent* "what is difference between quilt and eiderdown?"

heh

Lmao gotta love the thick scary Russian accent!
Well when I went to Shpayne on my Shpaynish course none of my teachers spoke English. I think the idea is immersion.
Mr Jim, can I ask a huuuuuge favour:redface:?
Reply 1587
er, hyeeeeeeeeees...
Reply 1588
Mr. Jim
er, hyeeeeeeeeees...

Can you look at my PS? I need help (generally yes but specifically with UCAS):redface:
I'll look at it too if you want, not that you asked me, but hey, the offer's there!
Reply 1590
leannemarie
I'll look at it too if you want not, that you asked me, but hey, the offer's there!

Fankoooo!:biggrin:
Reply 1591
too many women doing languages. boo.
My politics teacher is Tony Blair's former speech writer :eek: He wrote the 'Education Education Education' speech :eek4:

And French is hard :frown: Can't understand a word the teacher says :frown:
I'm gonna fail :frown:
brimstone
My politics teacher is Tony Blair's former speech writer :eek: He wrote the 'Education Education Education' speech :eek4:

And French is hard :frown: Can't understand a word the teacher says :frown:
I'm gonna fail :frown:

The idea isn't to understand, it's to nod and smile :wink:
Reply 1594
leannemarie
The idea isn't to understand, it's to nod and smile :wink:

This really isn't a joke. Not for people at my school anyway.
Pretend you're amazing in class, understanding every word the teacher says, chuckle knowingly at what seem like jokes... then run home and learn some flashy vocab to make the teacher think you're better than you are and therefore stop worrying and getting cross. You may even get away with ignoring homework if you pull it off well enough.
:p:
Well I always got the impression that the idea wasn't to understand every word, just enough to know what was going on. Certainly the case with AS French when we had a huge range of ability but the teacher stopped a lot to explain if people didn't get the grammar etc. A2 was a lot better though.
My Spanish teachers speak really basic Spanish. I tried to keep up my Spanish over the holidays, and everyone else basically forgot everything, so the first few lessons have been rather boring. And then the teacher asks a really simple question, and absolutely no-one answers. It's not because they don't know, because we complain about everyone else doing it. I answer sometimes but then I don't want people to think I'm taking over or something so I keep quiet the rest. My class needs to talk more...
Reply 1597
Hola, estoy borracho:frown::biggrin:
Anywho. I met up with all my friends who are still at school, was fun!
Plus my work ended an hour early today:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
La vida es buena.
But work tomorrow is 10:00am - 5:tongue:m:eek:
Btalently having a 2-hour lunch break:rolleyes:
Reply 1598
My class were seriously awful at Spanish. So much so that if the teachers started to talk in Spanish, there was mass confusion. At least I sat in a good position to look out the window..
man my classes seem so much more attentive than everyone elses! shame really, feel like i've missed out on some solid dossing time...

anyway could anyone suggest me a decent podcast or something like that to listen to? taking a gap year and feel that the spanish is gonna start slipping pretty rapidly unless i start working on it myself!

found a good humour one from Aradio - Alex Salgado, but just a bit tooo fast to keep up to... is funny until i realise i've sat there for 2 minutes and not understood a word!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending