The Student Room Group

Housemates this year are filthy!

Basically Im friends with 8 boys who, we have all decided to live together for this next academic year.

We have never lived together in the past. However some of htem have stayed in the house over the summer, because of work...etc. I went up to the house today to move my things up and the house is in a complete mess. The kitchen is so untidy, the hall ways are filthy and full of junk, the bathroom has dirt everywhere and hasnt been cleaned all summer.

Now, I understand that there will be some mess with so many people living in a house but the standards I saw today are terrible and i dont think it will change. I dont want to come back from lectures to a filthy house where I have to cook and shower. Thankfully my room is tidy but im scared im going to have a terrible year

any tips?
Reply 1
Original post by NGC773
Basically Im friends with 8 boys who, we have all decided to live together for this next academic year.

We have never lived together in the past. However some of htem have stayed in the house over the summer, because of work...etc. I went up to the house today to move my things up and the house is in a complete mess. The kitchen is so untidy, the hall ways are filthy and full of junk, the bathroom has dirt everywhere and hasnt been cleaned all summer.

Now, I understand that there will be some mess with so many people living in a house but the standards I saw today are terrible and i dont think it will change. I dont want to come back from lectures to a filthy house where I have to cook and shower. Thankfully my room is tidy but im scared im going to have a terrible year

any tips?

All you can do really is try and talk to them about the mess and draw up a cleaning rota for the house
Should of stayed in the halls for second year.

Too many people make out that having your own flat with friends is a good idea.
Original post by jelly1000
All you can do really is try and talk to them about the mess and draw up a cleaning rota for the house

I have suggested it but noone wants to do it.

Original post by Nineteen80eight

Yup, atleast in halls everything was kept tidy and everyone knew how things are
someone **** on the carpets. brilliant
Reply 5
Original post by NGC773

eewwwwww :redface: Sorry to hear youre in this situation. To be honest, living in a house with 8 other boys is just asking for trouble. I would say what others have said about doing a cleaning rota BUT depending on the type of guys your living with, this might not go down well and you might get stick for it (Im sure you can call this one if you know them well enough). Otherwise, just let it happen, with that many people it isnt going to be possible to keep it clean, just clear up after yourself, keep your own bedroom as your safe clean haven and just keep your head down, its only a year after all! (actually more like half a year if your home for the holidays).
Reply 6
Original post by Nineteen80eight

Not always an option depending on the univeristy, unfortunately.
Reply 7
Original post by NGC773

hahahaha

Put up signs directing people the bathroom?
Reply 8
I had a similar experience one year. To be honest, they probably aren't going to change. You can try and talk to them, but at the end of the day it's going to come down to a) they change their mind and start tidying up b) you tidy up all the time to make it nice, then they'll ruin it.

The problem living in such a large group is that people know they can get away with leaving a plate unwashed etc and blaming someone else, and then when someone isn't pulling their weight, people just think "well why should I?" - then it snowballs.
When I was in halls I had slob flatmates, they'd leave mouldy plates/dishes/pans/underwear/everything all over the kitchen and hallway, I had to shower wearing flip flops and not touching the sides because the bathroom was so grimy (this somehow built up so quickly that I cleaned it on the Saturday morning, and it was rank again by the Monday afternoon!) they'd spill drinks on the kitchen floor and leave it all sticky for days, the microwave became brown, the hoover AND mop went missing, so after a while I couldn't tidy up very well even when I could be arsed.

You soon stop caring (maybe not - it's still annoying as hell to get home and find all your pans with bits of food stuck to them) keep stuff you care about in your room, and let them be pigs. It's not the nicest way to live, but you can make a countdown calendar if you like... :P
Reply 10
I know what this is like. I experienced something similar in my first year.

Here is the situation. If you keep telling people to clean up, then they will fall out with you, and they will also bit'ch about you behind your back, and eventually your other housemates will fall out with you. (because they are sheep).

And if you dont do something about it then your house will smell, and will be dirty. Also you will be charged at the end of the year for fixtures and fittings, assuming things will be broken.

I agree with Gumball- Things are unlikely to change. You can try ask then to clean up, but that is a short term solution and they are unlikely to follow it in the long term.

If I was in the position, I would take authority and instruct people to clean up, but then they will fall out with me. But i have other friends. And i am not a sheep
Reply 11
Original post by NGC773

Who even does this? I get that people can be messy, but there's got to be a limit.
Thanks for the posts all.

Im just going to keep my room tidy and keep all of my stuff in there. Ive got a free small fridge to keep my stuff in and Ill just use the kitcken to cook + wash my stuff quickly

They are all animals

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending