The Student Room Group

Campbell property end of tenancy cleaning charges

So the company i stayed with Campbell property are charging me for what they see as 'beyond wear and tear' for my ensuite but im yet to see an invoice specifically relating to my ensuite. We were not asked for a deposit so there isnt one for them to bill it to so are instead billing me. I have pictures of the area before i left the property and after it was cleaned thoroughly by me and my parents.

Anyone know what I can do to contest these, the company is known for overcharging as well as not doing work they charge for (a lot of articles online about them from over the years too)

Theres also been numerous breaches of contract on their part not to mention they disabled all the smoke alarms in the house which from what we know is illegal. Not sure if the contract breaches are of any use with contesting the charges but thought id mention it anyway.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I really feel that the fee although small is not justified

Thanks
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Benjitah
So the company i stayed with Campbell property are charging me for what they see as 'beyond wear and tear' for my ensuite but im yet to see an invoice specifically relating to my ensuite. We were not asked for a deposit so there isnt one for them to bill it to so are instead billing me. I have pictures of the area before i left the property and after it was cleaned thoroughly by me and my parents.

Anyone know what I can do to contest these, the company is known for overcharging as well as not doing work they charge for (a lot of articles online about them from over the years too)

Theres also been numerous breaches of contract on their part not to mention they disabled all the smoke alarms in the house which from what we know is illegal. Not sure if the contract breaches are of any use with contesting the charges but thought id mention it anyway.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I really feel that the fee although small is not justified

Thanks

I had exactly the same problem. I decided to go with Campbell for my first year without reading reviews. everything seemed fine so I took on my second year property with them. I then moved out of the first property and was faced with ridiculous charges! I was charged for cleaning, even though we actually paid for a professional cleaner to go into the property and it was spotless! when I moved into my second property, the oven button to ignite the flames on the hob was melted so could not be used (which im sure they charged the last tenants for but did replace!) My bedroom was also filthy with hairs, dust, pen lids and coins on the floor- so being charged for cleaning at my old place is laughable! my lampshade was also ripped and hung down but was still 'useable' so was left like that for the entire year- which again im sure they charged the last tenants for and didn't replace. my walls were all scuffed and dirty- guess they charged for that and didn't do it. Throughout the year we had so many issues. My room was under the bathroom, and the shower had a huge leak and destroyed loads of my belongings, which equated to about £300 worth of damage (text books cost a bomb and I had a lot of make up!) they compensated me £60 to which i managed to push them up to £130. the shower was left unfixed and continuously leaking into my bedroom for 6 WEEKS! 7 rooms in the property sharing one small shower room.... and in the meantime, my room was cold, damp and everything was going mouldy! Upon my move out they have the cheek to charge me for mould on my mattress.... if my room wasn't damp it would not have been mouldy! I am still disputing it to this day. absolute joke of a company. I will always put anyone off using them, and am even thinking of going to the ombudsman to file a case, as nothing was sorted when it needed to be.

our garden was overgrown- the neighbour came round to do it after a month! so we missed the last of the sun
the kitchen side was loose and sharp and was very dangerous- never fixed
our oven ignition didn't work- repaired after 7 months
dishwasher didn't work- repaired after 2 months
leaking shower- repaired after 6 weeks.
tumble dryer wasn't functional- repaired after 3 weeks
we had mice- took 4 weeks to get someone round and sort it
our gate had fallen off and was propped against the wall- was never fixed, just a trip hazard on our path.
second shower was leaking- never fixed as it didn't go into anyone's room, just the hallway
My housemates room was so damp the walls were DRIPPING- took over a month to sort so she stayed with me in my damp room.

the list goes on but I'm running out of energy.
All in all shocking agents- I am now an agent myself and have to say I'd be embarrassed to provide or even work for such an inhospitable company.
Good Luck!
Never ever trust Campbell. I felt so identified with the leaking part. One of my flatmates had the same problem with them. Her room was absolutely disgusting after the leakage. They wanted me to pay for painting my room because there were two marks of bluetak. I went and did the job myself, took me a day, and left the room even better than when I got it! I mean it. Clean and fresh. And you know what? They go and tell me that I have to pay for a stained mattress... Those cheeky *******s! When I always had the mattress protection on and it was spotless when I took it off before leaving. The problem was I got rid of it so they could not see it and I had no proof. It seems they just wanted to charge me up for something! At the end I paid because I wanted to stop having anything to do with them. I don't leave in England either, so I couldn't fight this from home. After a year full of problems with them. Unbelievable. Campbell property NEVER AGAIN.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Please never ever ever rent with them. They are beyond awful. We paid nearly £6000 for the year and the list of problems is actually endless it's a joke. All they have paid us back is £100 for the stress they have caused. The place is always filthy when you move in. Honestly they are a bunch of scammers and liars and will try anything they can to get more money out of you. Universities should never let their students live with them and should be ashamed if they do. They have a bad reputation for a reason! We were stupid enough to ignore that and get sucked in but I pray nobody else is!
Reply 4
Wish I’d read the reviews on Campbell property before going with them, worst decision I’ve ever made in my life. Paying nearly £6000 for the year and within 2 months we have had no water in the flat numerous times and no electricity so people were having to walk up 20 flights up stairs to their flats! The place was FILTHY when we moved in and there are so many problems wrong with the building with only 1 elevator working for flats on 11 different floors.I would strongly advise people not to go with them as Campbell will do absolutely NOTHING about it and now they have simply left all the problems and we are now under new management which means campbell have caused us so much stress and now just left us to it. It’s actually ridiculous I don’t know how they have managed to keep so many property’s running like this.
Reply 5
Campbell are the worst company I have ever dealt with. I wouldn't even advise my worst enemy to rent with them. They don't care about anything except making monwy out of people
DO NOT RENT WITH CAMPBELL PROPERTY!!!their properties are full of problems, blocked toilets , rat infestation , damp , water issues to name a few! left the property to be fined a bill 3 months later of £600 for a stained carpet. They are unhelpful and greedy. Do not rent with them , big regret.
Reply 7
My Daughter is in a flat with Campbell Property and they have no end of issues including mould. They have emailed them with a list of items that need addressing. However there is no hurry for them. They have pushed back and said they will not pay the rent until all is resolved. Are there any tips on what they should do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending