The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by em.d_4
No those gcse's are fine you'll have to apply carefully and get a ukcat to compensate

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok! Thank you!

By "compensate" what sort of score should I be looking at?

(ah and I completely slacked off for the GCSEs, so I'm not toooooooo worried about the AS/A2 grades, only time will tell with that though I guess! :smile: )

And do you know any unis that don't care too much about GCSEs for medicine?
And any that specifically do? (not gonna apply to those considering how many A*s a lot of med applicants seem to have!!!)
Original post by Kugelmugel
Ok! Thank you!

By "compensate" what sort of score should I be looking at?

(ah and I completely slacked off for the GCSEs, so I'm not toooooooo worried about the AS/A2 grades, only time will tell with that though I guess! :smile: )

And do you know any unis that don't care too much about GCSEs for medicine?
And any that specifically do? (not gonna apply to those considering how many A*s a lot of med applicants seem to have!!!)

Birmingham, kings, Edinburgh etc are mad over gcse's whereas Sheffield amongst others are more relaxed.
It's hard to say what score but aim for 2800+ (700 avg). It's all very well to.say that but just do your best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by em.d_4
Birmingham, kings, Edinburgh etc are mad over gcse's whereas Sheffield amongst others are more relaxed.
It's hard to say what score but aim for 2800+ (700 avg). It's all very well to.say that but just do your best.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, thanks! :smile:
I'm not 100% sure this is the right place for it, but I wanted to check whether or not I would be completely out of a chance of doing medicine at Cambridge. I took a year out in between GCSEs and A levels and took psychology A level in that year. I only got 82% and 86% in the two papers and the medicine person at the college I'm now at said I would probably be better off not applying there even if I got above 90% in all my other subjects. If this true?
Original post by 1234567890-
1A*, 5A's 4B's and one C(French)
AAAA- biology, chemistry, maths and business studies.
I know my chances are like 0 of getting in, but with a great personal statement, work experience and a high UKCAT/ BMAT is there hope?

With a high ukcat there is always hope :smile: it's still just about being careful with where you apply
So... I've only just started AS but I'm pretty sure about medicine.

Just wanted to ask a couple of things because everyone applying to medicine seems to have 85 A*s and everyone with anything less is like "hmm might not get in only 6 A*s!!" :eek:

I got 4A*s 4As and 2Bs... will the Bs matter a lot??

Haha, I'm applying with 5 A*'s so I know how you feel. The B's don't matter that much though, as most med schools look at your top 8 GCSEs anyway :smile: it is really about the other factors too, like a good UKCAT (over 680 if possible), great AS grades (above grade B) and a strong personal statement (plenty of work experience) - you've still got a year to work on all these, so don't rule yourself out just yet!
Reply 5986
Original post by Ezme39
Haha, I'm applying with 5 A*'s so I know how you feel. The B's don't matter that much though, as most med schools look at your top 8 GCSEs anyway :smile: it is really about the other factors too, like a good UKCAT (over 680 if possible), great AS grades (above grade B) and a strong personal statement (plenty of work experience) - you've still got a year to work on all these, so don't rule yourself out just yet!

same here, 4A*..that's why I dont do much on tsr coz like everyone has 12+ A* so can't measure up, but most uni's need that anyway
where are u applying
Original post by jacqueh26
same here, 4A*..that's why I dont do much on tsr coz like everyone has 12+ A* so can't measure up, but most uni's need that anyway
where are u applying

I'm applying to Liverpool (because A is worth the same as A*), Keele (who don't look at academics as long as you meet the minimum requirements), HYMS (my more risky one, but also include UKCAT) and Nottingham (70% UKCAT based) - have you applied yet?
Hi, I really need an advice. I am an EU student and I recently sat UKCAT and got 2430 and band 2 which is a 3rd decile. I have 5 A*s and 3As in an exam equivalent to GCSE. I have a good personal statement, good reference, I have done some job at a psychiatrist clinic, I volunteer and I attent local hospicy. I have also attended some medical conferences and lectures. I also have quite experience in medical field, I have many doctors in my family who have taught me a lot so I know how to do some very basic exams. I have also seen them at work and have learnt quite a lot. I have variety of academic achievments in many fields. Do I stand a chance at King's or St. George's? I am really really worried about my UKCAT but will I get automatically rejected? Studying in London is my dream.
So... I've only just started AS but I'm pretty sure about medicine.

Just wanted to ask a couple of things because everyone applying to medicine seems to have 85 A*s and everyone with anything less is like "hmm might not get in only 6 A*s!!" :eek:

I got 4A*s 4As and 2Bs... will the Bs matter a lot??

The Bs will matter a lot to some universities, but at others it won't disadvantage you too much. For example, I can say at Edinburgh when they calculate the overall academic score and if you have any Bs in your best 10 GCSEs, then you can only get 2 out of 5 points available. Seems weird but someone with 9A*s 1B will score less than someone with 10As. So you need to do your own research in how various universities will use your GCSEs. This is a good starting point: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jatyization
Hi there, I will be apply to medicine with good GCSE's (8 A*'s) but bad AS-Level grades (ABCC). I am wondering which Medical Schools do not emphasise AS-Level grades as much.

My choices so far are: Bristol, Cardiff, Lancaster and Liverpool. However i am really not too sure about Liverpool. Can anyone recommend any medical schools? Thanks... :smile:

Liverpool asked for a further B at AS
Original post by Asklepios
The Bs will matter a lot to some universities, but at others it won't disadvantage you too much. For example, I can say at Edinburgh when they calculate the overall academic score and if you have any Bs in your best 10 GCSEs, then you can only get 2 out of 5 points available. Seems weird but someone with 9A*s 1B will score less than someone with 10As. So you need to do your own research in how various universities will use your GCSEs. This is a good starting point: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths

Posted from TSR Mobile

Edinburgh? really? I thought they wanted a min of 6A*s
GCSES: 8A* , 3 A's
AS : ABBB

UKCAT : 2670 (667.5 av)

Looking to apply to 4 of Leicester, St Georges, Cardiff, Sheffield, Keele, Bristol.

Are they suitable uni's?
Original post by bhamrambo
GCSES: 8A* , 3 A's
AS : ABBB

UKCAT : 2670 (667.5 av)

Looking to apply to 4 of Leicester, St Georges, Cardiff, Sheffield, Keele, Bristol.

Are they suitable uni's?

Yep, only apply to Bristol if you're sure your personal statement is strong enough:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Angelo12231
Edinburgh? really? I thought they wanted a min of 6A*s

There is no minimum, but to gain top marks you need 10As of which 8 are A*s
Here goes.

Do I stand a chance?

GCSEs 4A*5A1B
AS: AAABB (including general studies)
A2 Prediction A*A*A*A*
UKCAT: 645 Band 1

Over 14 months volunteering a general hospital
1 week at a care home
Day at an A&E

All the school extra stuff.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey, I just started 6th form and I'm really keen on doing vetsci or medicine!

However I'm concerned about my GCSEs, I got AAABC in English, maths, science 1, science 2, and art&design. I have pretty compelling special circumstances and went to a special school because I was ill, but will my GCSEs still make my applications to med school later look bad? I mean, if everything else was fine on my UCAS?
Original post by Jatyization
This is a joke right?

Of course you stand a chance!!!! Just try not to apply to places dependent on GCSE grades.

It actually wasn't a joke.

The reason I ask is because I see candidates that are like x10 better than me with all the grades but still get rejected.
I have a ukcat score of 697.5 band 1 and I am predicted A*A*A*A as well as having achieved grades in short course global perspectives and fsmq additional maths which gives me a tariff total of 596.

Should I apply to Barts with 697.5 average and 596 points?

Thank you!!
Reply 5999
Which Scottish unis should I apply to with my stats? I'm an EU applicant.

Grades: 23 A's 1B (99,5% of highest possible)
UKCAT: 737,5 Band 1

Latest

Trending

Trending