The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emerl98
Hey guys, I'm wondering if I would still be able to apply to universities next year for medicine with my crappy GCSEs. I got 2A's 5B's and 3C's. My A grades are Maths and R.E. My B grades are physics, chemistry, biology, french and Psychology. And my C grades are English language + Literature and P.E.

I am currently doing Maths, and all 3 sciences for AS and I'm on the road to AAAA for AS. I believe I may be able to get at least 1-2A*s overall by the end of A2.

I'm planning to do work experience at hospitals for the whole of summer and at a care home. I also have a few friends who can help me patch up my personal statement.

So, do I still have a chance of getting into medicine? Is there anything else I need to add to improve my chances?

Hmm English language may be a problem at a C grade and preferably As in sciences :/ A lot of universities that offer med usually have a cut off at B grades for english maths and science
Original post by Angelo12231
Hmm English language may be a problem at a C grade and preferably As in sciences :/ A lot of universities that offer med usually have a cut off at B grades for english maths and science

So I would have to retake English language next year to have a chance of getting into medicine? Would it be bad to say that I'm retaking English in my personal statement?
Original post by emerl98
So I would have to retake English language next year to have a chance of getting into medicine? Would it be bad to say that I'm retaking English in my personal statement?

It would be a good idea to retake yeah! Im in year 12 too by the way.

And could you retake this year?
Original post by Angelo12231
It would be a good idea to retake yeah! Im in year 12 too by the way.

And could you retake this year?

I really don't know, I'd probably have to do it externally but I'll try. Is it really necessary to do it this year?

Also, how are you finding yr 12? What A-levels are you doing? What do you think you'll get at the end of AS? And are you hoping to get into medicine too?
Original post by emerl98
I really don't know, I'd probably have to do it externally but I'll try. Is it really necessary to do it this year?

Also, how are you finding yr 12? What A-levels are you doing? What do you think you'll get at the end of AS? And are you hoping to get into medicine too?

Cool, Im not sure but I'd recommend doing it this year as you can put your new grade into the application. Though you should research the possible exceptions.

AS is okay, not too difficult but difficult enough. I do maths,chemistry,biology,physics and EPQ as an extra. Hoping to get AAAAA or AAAAB, don't care about the EPQ too much. I am looking to study medicine too! :tongue:
Hey everyone,
Im hoping for 2016 entry.

Stats-

GCSE 5A* 4A's 2B (grrr languages) .
AS- Studying Maths, Law, Biology, Chemistry, Further Maths ( A's predicted by my teachers)+ Critical thinking.
A level Plans: Biology Chemistry, Law and Maths A level from this year.(EPQ next year ?)

Work experience + Volunteering:
3+ years helping with young children in a scout group, involving leading planning and teamwork. Weeks work experience in hospital in two weeks time. Large role in Ten Tors challenge ( basically a mass expedition organised by the army on dartmoor)- I was a team lead on a number of years also. I'm also hoping to do a week in a pharmacy over the summer- as well as visits to care homes.

Uni choices:
Thinking about my options here- my preferences are UCL, Imperial , Barts and Cardiff so far- Very likely to change!

Do i Stand a chance at these uni's- or even in medicine at all? If these choices look unrealistic, where should i be looking?
Original post by daltonbarham
Hey everyone,
Im hoping for 2016 entry.

Stats-

GCSE 5A* 4A's 2B (grrr languages) .
AS- Studying Maths, Law, Biology, Chemistry, Further Maths ( A's predicted by my teachers)+ Critical thinking.
A level Plans: Biology Chemistry, Law and Maths A level from this year.(EPQ next year ?)

Work experience + Volunteering:
3+ years helping with young children in a scout group, involving leading planning and teamwork. Weeks work experience in hospital in two weeks time. Large role in Ten Tors challenge ( basically a mass expedition organised by the army on dartmoor)- I was a team lead on a number of years also. I'm also hoping to do a week in a pharmacy over the summer- as well as visits to care homes.

Uni choices:
Thinking about my options here- my preferences are UCL, Imperial , Barts and Cardiff so far- Very likely to change!

Do i Stand a chance at these uni's- or even in medicine at all? If these choices look unrealistic, where should i be looking?

They are fine for Medicine but I'd avoid Cardiff. Your GCSEs are good but may miss Cardiff's GCSE cut off, unfortunately.
Hi I'm in year 11 and wondering what A-levels you took for medicine ? I wanted to take Biology Chemistry Physics Psychology....I have a possibility to get GCSE's 7A*s /maths FSMQ :A / distinction * business and I already have an A in core science ...realistically what are my chances of getting into any medical school
wonder if anyone can help, today i received a rejection letter from cardiff because 'I didn't meet the academic requirements' i know that they base this on my top 9 scoring GCSE's giving 3 points for an a*, 2 for an A and 1 for a B. I achieved a total of 10 a*'s in GCSE meaning that my best 9 would account for a score of 27/27 for the academic requirements! Anyone know if i have grounds for a reconsideration in those respects from the uni? or do you think they may have just put that in all rejection letters?
Original post by mjwateridge
wonder if anyone can help, today i received a rejection letter from cardiff because 'I didn't meet the academic requirements' i know that they base this on my top 9 scoring GCSE's giving 3 points for an a*, 2 for an A and 1 for a B. I achieved a total of 10 a*'s in GCSE meaning that my best 9 would account for a score of 27/27 for the academic requirements! Anyone know if i have grounds for a reconsideration in those respects from the uni? or do you think they may have just put that in all rejection letters?

What about your AS-Levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mutleybm1996
What about your AS-Levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got aabb with both the b's being literally a mark off an a, but the gentleman who ran the open day said that they don't even look into the as level results as 'they are unfinished results'
Hi

I am currently doing my as levels and was wondering if I had a chance to get into any medical schools. i got 5A*s and 5As at GCSE and will hopefully get 4 A's at as level. I have also done 4 weeks work experience in endocrinology department, 2 weeks in surgery (in america) and have volunteered at a care home for 8 months and in a charity shop for 13 months. Do i stand any chance of getting into any med school?
Thanks.
Hey all , can I have your advice on which medical school i should apply to . I'm very afraid of the UKCAT and i dont have as much work experience at the moment. Oh and i will be applying as an international so Im afraid i might not get a place as competition is really intense
IGCSEs - 9A*
AS - Yet to have a forecast
Work Experience and Voluntary work - 7 days shadowing an ENT , Will be applying to a hospice to work once a week on weekend
( i did visit many orphanages as part of my school's LEO club but i am not sure if that counts
Thanks in advance for anyone that replies me
Original post by GracelovesNeuro
Hi I'm in year 11 and wondering what A-levels you took for medicine ? I wanted to take Biology Chemistry Physics Psychology....I have a possibility to get GCSE's 7A*s /maths FSMQ :A / distinction * business and I already have an A in core science ...realistically what are my chances of getting into any medical school

Hey!

7A* is good for Medicine for most medical schools. People I know who have gotten in in the past have had 5/6/7+ A*.

The A levels you have chosen are great. Most unis require Chemistry plus another science (maths or biology or physics) so you fit into the criteria.

Hope this helps a bit! :smile:
Original post by bradenrixon0923
Hi

I am currently doing my as levels and was wondering if I had a chance to get into any medical schools. i got 5A*s and 5As at GCSE and will hopefully get 4 A's at as level. I have also done 4 weeks work experience in endocrinology department, 2 weeks in surgery (in america) and have volunteered at a care home for 8 months and in a charity shop for 13 months. Do i stand any chance of getting into any med school?
Thanks.

Hey!

Yes you would definitely have a shot with medicine with 5A* and 5A grades. Try to get 4A grades at AS level as many medicine applicants do so it just keeps you competitive.

Your work experience is also really good but make sure that you can talk about it in your PS and interview and that you can explain why you did it and why you think it was relevant to being a doctor!

Practice your UKCAT lots when it gets to summer and start drafting your personal statement when you have time.

Hope this helps! :smile:
Not sure if anyone will be able to help me out but: I am a Canadian student wanting to do my medical degree in the UK!

Secondary school, grade 12:
Physics 92%, chemistry 88%, biology 90%, precalc 87%, English 93%

I haven't really been able to find too much info, the minimum entry requirements (for some schools) are 85% but I haven't been able to get a good idea of what is considered competitive for international students..

I am taking the UKCAT this upcoming registration, but I was wondering what score I need to balance my grades out??
Original post by bradenrixon0923
Hi

Thanks.

You definitely do stand a chance!!
I got 1A 2B 1C & PASS ICT BTEC

I'm retaking my A-levels and want to apply to medical schools. But I'm postive that I won't get accepted.

Should I still try? [ I don't meet any requirements for any medical schools' GCSE requirements, expect Exter, Leicester, Durham/Newcastle and Abderdeen) ]
Original post by BewareTomato
I got 1A 2B 1C & PASS ICT BTEC

I'm retaking my A-levels and want to apply to medical schools. But I'm postive that I won't get accepted.

Should I still try? [ I don't meet any requirements for any medical schools' GCSE requirements, expect Exter, Leicester, Durham/Newcastle and Abderdeen) ]

What were your gcses if you mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by frances98
What were your gcses if you mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

English - C
Maths- B
Science- B
Additional science- A
ICT (vocational/ betch)- pass

Latest

Trending

Trending