Barts and The London
Brighton and Sussex
Durham
Glasgow

Leeds
Exeter
Plymouth

Southampton

I've picked through and taken out those places that you either don't meet the requirements off, or do but still have little chance as they expect higher than their minimum (my experience of going through the admissions process).

Bolder those you should look at particularly. You will need to pick up your game at AS and in the UKCAt though.
Original post by GCSE-help
Haha I know I said I coasted through A-levels but trust me, I am not super smart and I SERIOUSLY doubt if I'm going to get 90%+ in exams, no matter how hard I work.

I've seen a few BMAT/UKCAT questions and it seems like there is a lot of verbal reasoning. Plenty of practice needed but not something you can really 'revise'. Maybe depends on how good you are on the day.

I think I may apply for one BMAT Uni, not more than that. Two risky. Anyway, I think im getting too far ahead of myself, better just to concentrate on AS now and get some more work experience under my belt!

Thanks for the help :smile:

Don't underestimate yourself! I got comfortably 90%+ in all of my AS levels, but my GCSEs pale in comparison to yours! You can definitely do at least as well as me I'm sure :P
Reply 782
Hey guys :smile:
i know its probably a bit late to ask this since its past the deadline, but do you think i have a chance to get in?
GCSE - 5A* 4A 3B distinction in art
AS - AAAB (bio maths chem art)
Predicted A2 - A*AA
UKCAT - 635

Applied for Cardiff, Liverpool, Keele and Leicester.
cause ive read stuff and im getting worried :frown:
Original post by Samriddha
Don't underestimate yourself! I got comfortably 90%+ in all of my AS levels, but my GCSEs pale in comparison to yours! You can definitely do at least as well as me I'm sure :P

Thanks, makes me feel more confident :smile:. Gonna take a lot of hard work though.
Hey guys I was just wondering GEP programs such as Warwick do take gcse and a levels into consideration even though they say they don't.

I was going through chemo in my last 2 years at school and I did very poorly in my gcses. I had to re sit maths as I was too ill to sit the exam.

I then 3 years later decided to study an access course in which I received mainly merits and distinctions and I am now in my final year of nursing and predicted a 1st.

The big question is do I apply with horrible pre degree grades?
Original post by LauraJ.123
Hey guys I was just wondering GEP programs such as Warwick do take gcse and a levels into consideration even though they say they don't.

When they say that, they really do mean it :smile:

The big question is do I apply with horrible pre degree grades?

Yeah it's fine.
Original post by Democracy
When they say that, they really do mean it :smile:

Yeah it's fine.

I thought i'd leave it this year due to them grades. I'd rather apply once I have the 1st or 2.1 rather than them seeing the grades I had before and making a decision based on that. (if that makes sense)

It's always been something I've wanted to do but due to illness I thought my grades and health would hold me back but as i'm back to full health I thought 'why not!'

I know i'll get the whole abandoning nursing questions but meh.
Reply 787
Original post by LauraJ.123
I thought i'd leave it this year due to them grades. I'd rather apply once I have the 1st or 2.1 rather than them seeing the grades I had before and making a decision based on that. (if that makes sense)

It's always been something I've wanted to do but due to illness I thought my grades and health would hold me back but as i'm back to full health I thought 'why not!'

I know i'll get the whole abandoning nursing questions but meh.

I know a guy who was a nurse before getting into medicine. Tbh I think he probably did have a harder time than others justifying why he wanted to drop nursing for medicine but imo it's about the type and level of healthcare you want to provide. Try to articulate why it is that you've decided that you want to provide the healthcare of a doctor rather than that of a nurse.
Original post by Zedd
I know a guy who was a nurse before getting into medicine. Tbh I think he probably did have a harder time than others justifying why he wanted to drop nursing for medicine but imo it's about the type and level of healthcare you want to provide. Try to articulate why it is that you've decided that you want to provide the healthcare of a doctor rather than that of a nurse.

I'm doing a masters after my nursing degree to bump up my chances.
I was just too sick to consider a medical degree back when I was 18 and never thought i'd be able to because of my poor gcses, there not exactly easy to re-sit where I live it's all moderated coursework. Decided nursing was as close as I was going to get. I had to have loads of operations and was always in awe of the anaesthetists. Just trying to write a personal statement that tries to guilt trip the university into giving me an interview I hate talking about how sick I was.
Reply 789
Hello people :smile:
I've recently sent my ucas app off and I've applied to study Medicine at Bristol, Keele, Cardiff and King's (6 Year course)
I achieved AAAB for my AS, and I'm predicted A*A*A. I kinda flopped my UKCAT (hence, why I am applying to primarily non-UKCAT unis)...
My personal statement is okay... decent work experience, good extra curricular paragraph + Duke of Edinburgh
I only got 4A*s at GCSE and the rest B's.... (INCONSISTENCY!!!)

What are my chances?
Reply 790
Original post by Somalia
I've recently sent my ucas app off and I've applied to study Medicine at Bristol, Keele, Cardiff and King's (6 Year course)
I achieved AAAB for my AS, and I'm predicted A*A*A. I kinda flopped my UKCAT (hence, why I am applying to primarily non-UKCAT unis)...
My personal statement is okay... decent work experience, good extra curricular paragraph + Duke of Edinburgh

What are my chances?

Unfortunately not really that great. Cardiff place heavy emphasis on GCSE grades through operating a point score system, with your grades it is unlikely you'll make it through the academic screening. Your GCSE grades will also disadvantage an application to Bristol as those with 8A/A*s will be given more credit. Also Bristol are very personal statement heavy so your statement would have to be excellent not just okay. Keele would also need a great personal statement. Not sure about Kings though.
Original post by Somalia

What are my chances?

Your AS and predicted grades seem great. GCSEs look a bit weak though so hopefully the unis you apply for don't look at GCSEs that much.
Reply 792
Original post by myyrh
Unfortunately not really that great. Cardiff place heavy emphasis on GCSE grades through operating a point score system, with your grades it is unlikely you'll make it through the academic screening. Your GCSE grades will also disadvantage an application to Bristol as those with 8A/A*s will be given more credit. Also Bristol are very personal statement heavy so your statement would have to be excellent not just okay. Keele would also need a great personal statement. Not sure about Kings though.

Thank you very much for your honest answer... I also achieved 2 Distinctions in ICT, would they be taken into consideration when examining my GCSEs? Also, do you know whether the universities that I have applied for have begun sending out responses?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 793
Original post by Somalia
Thank you very much for your honest answer... I also achieved 2 Distinctions in ICT, would they be taken into consideration when examining my GCSEs? Also, do you know whether the universities that I have applied for have begun sending out responses?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Unfortunately it's unlikely the two distinctions will carry any weighting as they're normally just discounted or at best substituted for half a GCSE. No none of those would have started sending out responses this early. The only medical school which may start around this early would be Birmingham.
Reply 794
Sorry to butt into the thread. I'm not an applicant (yet), but which university is better for medicine?
Oxford, or Cambridge?

Just curious...
Reply 795
Original post by Konflict
Sorry to butt into the thread. I'm not an applicant (yet), but which university is better for medicine?
Oxford, or Cambridge?

Just curious...

Both equal. Just like all other medical schools.
Reply 796
Original post by Konflict
Oxford, or Cambridge?

Just curious...

LOL haha,
okay BOTH are GREAt for meds.
for Oxford: 9 A*s, High BMAT like 7.8 -8 in two sections and 4 A in the essay.
A*AA @ in Alevels achieved in one sitting
For Cambridge: GCSE 8 A*/A...6 A* and a fe more As are good as minimum
High BMAT like 6-8
essay 4-5 A
A*AA @ A levels acheived in one sitting, sometimes can be A*A*A
From my experience, they look for 'skilled' applicant'. They determine the passion and qualities from the recommendation letter and the PS.
Hope it was a helpful info.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 797
I'm starting to wonder whether i've made the right choices.

Academic stuff:
5a*'s 6a's at gcse
4 a's at as
predicted 5 A*'s at A2
UKCAT 695 average (2780 total)

experience:
week in a hospital
18 months volunteering with people with learning difficulties
6 days volunteering at a care home

I've applied for Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle and Sheffield.
Is this enough experience and have I applied to the right universities for my strengths? :s-smilie:
Reply 798
Original post by DrKeen
I'm starting to wonder whether i've made the right choices.

Academic stuff:
5a*'s 6a's at gcse
4 a's at as
predicted 5 A*'s at A2
UKCAT 695 average (2780 total)

experience:
week in a hospital
18 months volunteering with people with learning difficulties
6 days volunteering at a care home

I've applied for Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle and Sheffield.
Is this enough experience and have I applied to the right universities for my strengths? :s-smilie:

Your choices are fine :smile: Leeds is a bit risky but you have three other choices where you stand a very good chance of an interview.
When is the UKCAT usually taken? (Currently in Year 12)

Latest

Trending

Trending