The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Angury
What is it that makes you feel unconfident with your chances?
Personally I think your academics and volunteering/work experience are strong.

Plus the fact that you've been offered an interview is a good sign. It goes without saying that you should prepare for the interview to give yourself the best chance - find out the style of the interview and types of questions that are typically asked. Do a mock interview, make sure you know your personal statement well and are able to expand upon everything you have mentioned in it, make sure you are able to reflect upon your work experience and how that led to your decision to do medicine (if it did) etc.

To be honest I don't know what happened, my confidence was a bit knocked after getting a C and everyone else in my school mostly have very high, almost perfect ukcat scores.

Thanks for the advice though! I've done two mock mmis which I learnt a lot from but Plymouth is a panel interview but my neighbour who is a consultant really kindly offered to do a sort of mock with me tonight!

But yes to answer your question I suppose my ukcat knocked my confidence a little, especially the band 4 in sjt as it meant I couldn't apply for Liverpool which was where I really wanted :frown: but all the others I've applied to look equally as good
I'm in year 12 and really am considering medicine but feel a bit terrible compared to the other grades people have achieved on here, so was wondering if I had a chance.

GCSE's: 2A*'s 7A's 2B's

Work Experience:
1 week at a dental practice
1 week at my NHS hospital
2 weeks at a Pharmacy
1 week at a GP

Predicted:
A*A*A (Chemistry, Biology, Maths respectively)

I would love to go one in London, but felt as if my grades were a bit low! Thanks so much!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by chrlhyms
I'm in year 12 and really am considering medicine but feel a bit terrible compared to the other grades people have achieved on here, so was wondering if I had a chance.

GCSE's: 2A*'s 7A's 2B's

Work Experience:
1 week at a dental practice
1 week at my NHS hospital
2 weeks at a Pharmacy
1 week at a GP

Predicted:
A*A*A (Chemistry, Biology, Maths respectively)

I would love to go one in London, but felt as if my grades were a bit low! Thanks so much!

That's some great stats you got there and you're slightly disadvantaged by applying next year because due to the a level reforms most unis dont look at AS's or A2 predictions however I know you just need to apply to your strengths if you're desperate to go to a London uni you could always take a gap year cause then you'll have your A2 grades so they'll have to consider those
Original post by saahil0987
That's some great stats you got there and you're slightly disadvantaged by applying next year because due to the a level reforms most unis dont look at AS's or A2 predictions however I know you just need to apply to your strengths if you're desperate to go to a London uni you could always take a gap year cause then you'll have your A2 grades so they'll have to consider those

Hey! Thank you so much for your reply, and I totally agree with you that it is highly annoying I won't have a full set of results however, I am doing a Maths AS (then carrying it into A2)-would that grade alone (if I scored highly in it) be able to help my application?

Is there anything else you would say to help boost my application? Which I could do in my free time (also planning on doing an EPQ)
Original post by Watermelonvogue
To be honest I don't know what happened, my confidence was a bit knocked after getting a C and everyone else in my school mostly have very high, almost perfect ukcat scores.

Thanks for the advice though! I've done two mock mmis which I learnt a lot from but Plymouth is a panel interview but my neighbour who is a consultant really kindly offered to do a sort of mock with me tonight!

But yes to answer your question I suppose my ukcat knocked my confidence a little, especially the band 4 in sjt as it meant I couldn't apply for Liverpool which was where I really wanted :frown: but all the others I've applied to look equally as good

Few people have the perfect application. You still have the opportunity to get the grades you need at A Level, and you've applied wisely in terms of your UKCAT score. Your GCSEs are fantastic and the rest of your extracurricular are good, so I'd say your application is pretty good regardless of the C grade.

Ultimately you just need that one offer. No matter where you go, you will still become a doctor. The fact that you have received an interview should give you a slight boost in confidence - you've got a chance and it sounds like you're doing the right preparation to make the most of it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9285

Do Unis really not look at A2 predictions because of the A level reforms? What else do they base their interview offering criteria on then? I thought because of the reforms, there'd be more emphasis on predictions:/
Original post by BULL14
GCSE Grades: 11A*s,2As and a B
Maths - A*
Chemistry - A*
Further Maths - A
Biology - A*
Physics - A*
Geography - A*
History- A*
English Language - A*
English Literature - A*
Business Studies - A*
ICT - A*
Religious Studies - A*
French - B
Urdu - A

Work experience:
1 week in a psychiatry ward
1 day in emergency psychiatry department
By the time I apply 2 years of volunteering in old people's home
1 week shadowing psychologist lecturer at Oxford university

a levels taken
Biology Chemistry Maths Economics EPQ

Do i have a realistic chance?

If so what med schools am I restricted to?
btw I am in yr12

The lack of A*s in some of your subjects e.g. French, Urdu and further maths are really going to hurt your application. I'm my opinion, it isn't even worth trying. Maybe look at a different career path :smile:
Original post by HR321
Do Unis really not look at A2 predictions because of the A level reforms? What else do they base their interview offering criteria on then? I thought because of the reforms, there'd be more emphasis on predictions:/

Well when I went they said they had a greater emphasis on GCSEs and the BMAT / UKCAT - might not apply for all unis but those ones did say that during their open days
Reply 9288
Well when I went they said they had a greater emphasis on GCSEs and the BMAT / UKCAT - might not apply for all unis but those ones did say that during their open days

ah ok, which unis are those?
I would like to point out on here that ALL universities consider A2 predictions and not meeting the minimum requirement can result in rejection. AS Levels aren't considered for nearly all of them, but A2 still is.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
I would like to point out on here that ALL universities consider A2 predictions and not meeting the minimum requirement can result in rejection. AS Levels aren't considered for nearly all of them, but A2 still is.

Sorry my bad yes they said the consider them to the extent that you meet the requirements but not as a way of comparing applicants.
hello! i applied to liverpool,st george and barts for medicine
637 ukcat , band 3
8A*s igcses 1 A
3A*a 1A alevel predictions
2years work experience, good ps
do i have a chance of receiving interviews? Thanks!!
Reply 9292
Original post by Andreas14
637 ukcat , band 3
8A*s igcses 1 A

St George's 100% yes
Liverpool you get full marks for your GCSE score but the score for your personal statement will make up 70% of your pre interview score. So whether you get an interview depends mostly on your PS.

I'm not sure about Barts. They prefer a high UKCAT and high tariff. Seeing as your UKCAT score isn't sky high and you're only doing three subjects, it seems unlikely.

Good luck. I applied to Liverpool and St. George's as well.
has anyone received from st georges and liverpool?
Hey! those of you that got interview from st george, did you get notified from email? also where do we find the ukcat cutoff (i know its 631 but where did you guys find it), lastly those of you that got interview how many spare days did you have to prepare from the moment you receivev the invitation? Thanks!!
637 ukcat , band 3
8A*s igcses 1 A

SGUL interview everyone above their cutoff

Barts: composite of all the information you provide them + your a levels are very strong and your UKCAT is mediocre therefore I would say there is about 50% chance of getting interview

Liverpool - I believe they heavily rely on your personal statement in order to decide whether to interview you
Hey! those of you that got interview from st george, did you get notified from email? also where do we find the ukcat cutoff (i know its 631 but where did you guys find it), lastly those of you that got interview how many spare days did you have to prepare from the moment you receivev the invitation? Thanks!!

Last year, I received a SGUL interview very early. I had 2 days to prepare

Don't know where cutoff is.

They start sending offers day after interview

Normally, they interview high UKCAT + composite score people first
I heard SGUL sent the requirements needed for interview to every applicant? I may be wrong, though.
Original post by Gogregg
I heard SGUL sent the requirements needed for interview to every applicant? I may be wrong, though.

No you're correct. SGUL have said on their entry requirements for medicine (on the website) that anyone who meets the minimum requirements will be invited for interview. I can't remember them off by heart accept the GCSEs minimum requirements which is 416 UCAS points from 8 GCSEs (equivalent to 8As)
I've got 2A*s 6As and a B at GCSE, is that good enough for medicine?

Latest

Trending

Trending