The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society MKVIII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alofleicester
Coffee's all well and good, but have you tried coffee beer - it's amazing :sogood:

Seriously? :curious: Sounds vile.
Original post by superwolf
Seriously? :curious: Sounds vile.

Yes :yep: Had a Hazelnut Coffee beer the other week. Was awesome - like colder, more alcoholic coffee.
Reply 1382
Fire alarm has been going off for 20 minutes. Freaking triggering loud noises ugh.
Original post by Alofleicester
Yes :yep: Had a Hazelnut Coffee beer the other week. Was awesome - like colder, more alcoholic coffee.

I like putting cherry brandy or amaretto in my coffee. :drool:

Original post by asdfgah
Fire alarm has been going off for 20 minutes. Freaking triggering loud noises ugh.

Maybe go for a walk if you can? :console:
I like putting cherry brandy or amaretto in my coffee. :drool:

Cherry Brandy? Sounds interesting...
Reply 1385
Sitting outside the docs debating whether to go in or not... Hate days like this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FuzzySheep
Hey guys. :smile: Thank you for all the birthday wishes.

Moved to Bristol yesterday and already had a cry. My flat is really quiet whereas the ones above me are really lively and with people more similar to me. I've met some of them properly and went out yesterday which was fun, met lots of people there, but people seem to think you can't stray out of your flat so I'm worried that it'll stay like this and I won't make any friends. I can't deal with another year of feeling lonely, the last two have been awful and I so hope it gets better.

Hope everyone is doing well :smile:

When I was in halls we mixed with other flats, infact the people I am living with this year is mixed mostly with people from the flat across the corridor, which we mixed with loads last year. Enjoy freshers, it will be great! BARMY bar crawl is always a laugh!
Reply 1387
Maybe go for a walk if you can? :console:

Thanks, it's stopped now; slowly calming myself down with X-factor. :smile:

Original post by AmiB
Sitting outside the docs debating whether to go in or not... Hate days like this

:hugs: you can do it!
Keep having weird 'half-dreams' where I think something is happening when it isn't :erm: Thought the dog was in my room the other night, and was shouting at her for quite a while before I realised that she wasn't there. Thought I saw someone standing over my bed at one point, and was also talking to myself (I must have thought I was talking to someone else) last night apparently. I already do enough strange things in my sleep without adding this to the list! :tongue:

Original post by Anonymous #2
I just received an email from KFC saying I had been unsuccessful in an application I had made. My mum told me to go and hang myself. Hmm.

Welcome to the club :five: I've been rejected from fast-food establishments too many times to mention! Take solace in the fact that it's probably because you're over-qualified - they don't want to hire people who they think are likely to leave :smile: Working conditions and pay are crap anyway, so you've had a lucky escape!

Original post by rmhumphries
You usually can on the bus, but sometimes have to pay for them. I don't know about your trams, I think you can take dogs for free on my trams.

I'll look into it, if I can take her on the bus that'll be good! I'm fairly sure our trams ban dogs (:sad:) but maybe I can sneak her on...

Original post by rmhumphries
Some people are right ****s. Not even anyone I know, but over the last few days, it is just made me annoyed I guess, or upset; about how many people are such idiots.

:jumphug:
Maybe you should stick some headphones on when you're out and about so that you don't have to listen to other people's idiocy?

Original post by AmiB
Time to try and sleep once again... Can anyone on here describe what their hypomania feels like/how they act when cycling? My friend is sure that I am bipolar but as a supposedly diagnosed depressive I have not idea whether how I'm acting at the moment is me cycling or just having very good days followed by very low days...?

I've been concerned about having symptoms of hypomania in the past. For me, it's things like:

not sleeping

rapid thoughts

very sociable

talking a lot

feeling 'elated'

eating less/exercising more

taking risks I wouldn't usually take

acting 'obsessively' (e.g. cleaning for hours on end until things look 'perfect')

I asked a GP about some of my concerns, but she told me it was fairly normal to have some of those symptoms if you're depressed (e.g. not sleeping/eating). I didn't explain all of my concerns though, so idk :dontknow: If you're worried then definitely mention it, because I believe bi-polar is one of the hardest things to diagnose (takes 6 years on average or something similar). Like Wolf says, it could be symptoms of a personality disorder, or it could be something else entirely. Best to ask a professional so that they can help put your mind at ease :hugs:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1389
Original post by bytail

I've been concerned about having symptoms of hypomania in the past. For me, it's things like:

not sleeping

rapid thoughts

very sociable

talking a lot

feeling 'elated'

eating less/exercising more

taking risks I wouldn't usually take

acting 'obsessively' (e.g. cleaning for hours on end until things look 'perfect')

I asked a GP about some of my concerns, but she told me it was fairly normal to have some of those symptoms if you're depressed (e.g. not sleeping/eating). I didn't explain all of my concerns though, so idk :dontknow: If you're worried then definitely mention it, because I believe bi-polar is one of the hardest things to diagnose (takes 6 years on average or something similar). Like Wolf says, it could be symptoms of a personality disorder, or it could be something else entirely. Best to ask a professional so that they can help put your mind at ease :hugs:

I have been getting a lot of those recently followed by extremely low days. Got an appointment with the community psych in November so my Gp said he is the best person to raise those concerns with.

-------------

Been upped to 45mg of Mirtazipine, go to try eat and sleep properly, not allowed alcohol for 2 weeks (which I have never obeyed before so we'll see) and see her again in 2 weeks and I have to go back if I have any crazy days inbetween now and then...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AmiB
Time to try and sleep once again... Can anyone on here describe what their hypomania feels like/how they act when cycling? My friend is sure that I am bipolar but as a supposedly diagnosed depressive I have not idea whether how I'm acting at the moment is me cycling or just having very good days followed by very low days...?

I've been diagnosed bipolar in the past and I've obviously had hypomania / possible mania, this is what I get like when I'm hypomanic:

- Cant sleep
- impulsivity (dangerous driving, getting very drunk, taking drugs, unsafe sex, reckless spending)
- racing thoughts, like so so quick, it feels like my thoughts are going at 100mph
- constantly talking, usually very quickly
- grandiose plans (believing I am going to make millions by reinventing things and creating new amazing things which it would be impossible to do)
- unable to concentrate on anything
- irritable
- laughing at everything, uncontrollably.
- this may border in mania, but I was told by spirits (shadows) that the world is going to end and I'm the only one who can stop it and I must write to the prime minister and let him though.

This usually lasts a week for me.

There are other things which cause mood swings, they are common in depression, and other diagnoses like Emotionally Unstable (Borderline) Personality Disorder. I'm diagnosed with EUPD but I used to be diagnosed as bipolar, so they are very similar. People cycle a lot faster in EUPD though, sometimes several times during the day, while bipolar peeps cycle a lot slower (even rapid cycling doesn't come close to EUPD cycling)
Original post by bullettheory
When I was in halls we mixed with other flats, infact the people I am living with this year is mixed mostly with people from the flat across the corridor, which we mixed with loads last year. Enjoy freshers, it will be great! BARMY bar crawl is always a laugh!

I really want to go up to one of the others floors but I don't want them to feel like I'm imposing myself on them. Our floor is pretty much half internationals, two of which haven't come out of their room, the other is lovely. There's a guy who seems friendly but I don't think he likes our flat so he doesn't really spend time here. Another girl is also in her room a lot of the time and she only pops out once for a little bit. Every other flat has a great mix of people and I feel like I'll be missing out, I have to live here for a year and I'm just worried I'll stay lonely. I was hoping to go on the bar crawl actually so I will check that out :smile: sorry for the moan, just feeling a bit down at the moment.

:hugs: There's nothing wrong with mixing with other flats - the place I'm living at the moment downstairs is pretty dead, so one girl comes up and hangs out with us instead and we all get along just fine. Also, don't discount your whole flat yet - some of them might just be a bit shy at first, and you'll get to know them better later. Really hope you have a good year this time. :smile:

As above really, I don't want them to feel like I'm imposing myself on them. It's just that other flats are all sitting in chatting and everyone in my flat is just hiding away, we don't even know each other much at all really. I'm just really worried and I feel like I want to go home :frown: I hope you both prove me wrong and that it will get better. I really hope so :frown: Thank you :hugs:
Reply 1392
Seriously feel like I'm going nuts, seeing things that aren't there. I woke up several times this morning (didn't fall asleep till about 6am) and once saw this figure looming over me - like their face right above mine - and another figure standing in the corner. Creepy as.

Needless to say I didn't make class today, so useless :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
First day at uni is going really well - I have to be enrolled by Friday (my birthday :biggrin:) or they boot me out but for now I'm doing okay. Met with course manager and she was lovely and said she's okay with me appealing for a January start. They can't promise anything though but it's something at least. My fees should all be protected too - so no £8k a year madness so that's a pleasant surprise I have my first lecture at 2 and my heart is beating out of my chest at the moment. Wish me luck! I need it - I've been lost in my main building about 5 times now. Who invents a circular building with no windows? I just do loops!
Reply 1394
Original post by ParadoxSocks
First day at uni is going really well - I have to be enrolled by Friday (my birthday :biggrin:) or they boot me out but for now I'm doing okay. Met with course manager and she was lovely and said she's okay with me appealing for a January start. They can't promise anything though but it's something at least. My fees should all be protected too - so no £8k a year madness so that's a pleasant surprise I have my first lecture at 2 and my heart is beating out of my chest at the moment. Wish me luck! I need it - I've been lost in my main building about 5 times now. Who invents a circular building with no windows? I just do loops!

glad Uni is going well! :smile: and happy birthday for Friday! :biggrin: that's great that your course manager was nice/helpful! sounds good, good luck! :smile: hehe, most Uni buildings are like mazes in my experience lol!
Reply 1395
Original post by bullettheory
I've been diagnosed bipolar in the past and I've obviously had hypomania / possible mania, this is what I get like when I'm hypomanic:

- Cant sleep
- impulsivity (dangerous driving, getting very drunk, taking drugs, unsafe sex, reckless spending)
- racing thoughts, like so so quick, it feels like my thoughts are going at 100mph
- constantly talking, usually very quickly
- grandiose plans (believing I am going to make millions by reinventing things and creating new amazing things which it would be impossible to do)
- unable to concentrate on anything
- irritable
- laughing at everything, uncontrollably.
- this may border in mania, but I was told by spirits (shadows) that the world is going to end and I'm the only one who can stop it and I must write to the prime minister and let him though.

This usually lasts a week for me.

There are other things which cause mood swings, they are common in depression, and other diagnoses like Emotionally Unstable (Borderline) Personality Disorder. I'm diagnosed with EUPD but I used to be diagnosed as bipolar, so they are very similar. People cycle a lot faster in EUPD though, sometimes several times during the day, while bipolar peeps cycle a lot slower (even rapid cycling doesn't come close to EUPD cycling)

Mm well I will talk to the psychiatrist about when I go in November, so annoying that I haven't seen one yet and I was referred in May time. I was out last night at a pub quiz and went from being v low that I almost didn't go to arriving, being very high and elated and loud to being even lower than I was before within the space of an evening. Just don't know what's going on at the moment.

-------

Had a lecture this morning on EU law and spent about half the lecture staring into space and not realising I wasn't concentrating. So bloody hard to do anything at the moment. Really want to go to bed now but I have so much studying to do and I need to sleep tonight so I shouldn't. Hoping the higher dose of Mirtazipine knocks me out tonight so I can sleep...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1396
:console: it's only first day, I wouldn't make any huge decisions based on it, if you don't feel well maybe get some rest and stuff? counselling is a good idea, most Uni's offer it and they should be friendly and stuff :smile: hopefully you feel better soon and have better days!
Reply 1397
Original post by SciFiRory
:console: it's only first day, I wouldn't make any huge decisions based on it, if you don't feel well maybe get some rest and stuff? counselling is a good idea, most Uni's offer it and they should be friendly and stuff :smile: hopefully you feel better soon and have better days!

Except for my uni, absolutely hated the place and vowed to never set foot in there ever again...

Edit: Why the neg? It's true, I tried the counselling service and absolutely hated it, I am entitled to my opinion...
(edited 11 years ago)
Feeling really bad. Couldn't stand up to shower I was in so much pain, puked a few times, was in bed until 1pm, painkillers have helped a little in that I can actually like get out of bed now and walk around but overall; pretty ****ing ****. :sigh:
Reply 1399
Original post by AmiB
Except for my uni, absolutely hated the place and vowed to never set foot in there ever again...

oh :/ sorry to hear that, hopefully it's not like that for him though! you feeling any better today? :hugs:

---

still feeling midly triggered today so planning on trying out one of the pubs over the road from my dads...

Latest