The Student Room Group

House deposit repayment/ DPS

Hi,

I had a tenancy for September 2011- September 2012. I was told by the letting agents my deposit would automatically be placed by them into the Deposit Protection Scheme. My landlady has checked my room and said she was ok for me to get my full deposit back, and that the letting agent would place it into the same account as I paid it out of, however as I have not received it yet I contacted one of my housemates (I never knew them very well) to ask if she had had hers yet, but she said we each had to contact the agent with our deposit ID to get a repayment ID, but I don't think I ever received a deposit ID and nor did I know that I needed one, as I was told by the agent that it all went through them and I didn't need to take further action.

A friend of mine has told me that her parents recently left a rented property and told her they got the deposit back automatically without having to contact anyone.

Has anyone been in this situation/ could shed some light on what to do?

Reply 1
You can get your deposit ID from DPS here: https://www.depositprotection.com/is-my-deposit-protected

If this doesn't work then contact the letting agent and ask for it.

Once you get it you can login to the DPS website and request your deposit yourself.
Reply 2
Original post by tsnake23
You can get your deposit ID from DPS here: https://www.depositprotection.com/is-my-deposit-protected

If this doesn't work then contact the letting agent and ask for it.

Once you get it you can login to the DPS website and request your deposit yourself.

I have tried this and it's saying there's no record of the deposit. Does that mean they definitely didn't put the deposit into the DPS? The letting agent isn't returning my calls.

If they didn't put it in is there anyway of getting my deposit back?
Reply 3
Original post by rougelipstick
I have tried this and it's saying there's no record of the deposit. Does that mean they definitely didn't put the deposit into the DPS? The letting agent isn't returning my calls.

If they didn't put it in is there anyway of getting my deposit back?

I am assuming everyone in the house had separate tenancy contracts (i.e. a House in Multiple Occupation or HMO) and therefore you all had separate deposits with the DPS. Let me know if this is not the case.

You should have been provided information about where your deposit is being held and any necessary information such as a deposit ID within 30 days of when you moved it. If the letting agent or landlord hasn't provided this then they have acted unlawfully.

If both the landlord and letting agent do not respond to further correspondence then you need to send your landlord a 'Letter Before Action' threatening action via the small claim courts. You can read more about this on http://england.shelter.org.uk
Reply 4
Original post by tsnake23
I am assuming everyone in the house had separate tenancy contracts (i.e. a House in Multiple Occupation or HMO) and therefore you all had separate deposits with the DPS. Let me know if this is not the case.

You should have been provided information about where your deposit is being held and any necessary information such as a deposit ID within 30 days of when you moved it. If the letting agent or landlord hasn't provided this then they have acted unlawfully.

If both the landlord and letting agent do not respond to further correspondence then you need to send your landlord a 'Letter Before Action' threatening action via the small claim courts. You can read more about this on http://england.shelter.org.uk

Thank you, that's really helpful :smile:
I have misplaced my DPS ID number and would like to have it sent to me again please
Reply 6
Original post by smichelled
I have misplaced my DPS ID number and would like to have it sent to me again please

Please don't bump up ancient threads, you'll get a better response by creating your own one.

If you've lost your ID just contact the scheme with your personal details and they can retrieve it.

Latest

Trending

Trending