The Student Room Group

Lost all my confidence whilst driving?

Ive posted on here previously regarding confidence in my driving but after one terrible drive (not an accident or anything) I lost all the confidence I did have. This was about 4 weeks ago and since then I haven't had the confidence to go back out in my car! yesterday I managed to drive forward and reverse in the garages near my house and i guess it's progress despite it not being on a road. Has anyone else experienced this? Everyone keeps telling me to get back out there and do it but I physically can't!
Reply 1
Can you get someone calm to sit with you and go on a short drive? I lost my confidence when someone bumped into my car (wasn't my fault but it shook me up) and my dad took me to the nearest village a few times so I built up confidence.

Everyone has bad driving days, I had one today so I'm locking myself in :smile: hope you feel better soon!
I've always had someone with me, I haven't had the confidence to go out alone yet! I passed about 7 weeks ago and really struggled in the first place. Thanks it's n ongoing issue though and it's getting me down; having a car and a license but no confidence to use them!
Reply 3
i haven't seen your other posts but cant you get the confidence to drive at night when there's no one around?
when i passed my test i was a bit nervous driving by myself as obviously i wasn't used to it, but i set myself a goal. i told myself to drive around the block back to my house, see what i did wrong and then do it again until i was confident. from then on the goals got a bit higher, driving to the gym, dropping a mate off etc

set off small and gradually improve
What actually happened on the bad drive?
Original post by pezza2000
i haven't seen your other posts but cant you get the confidence to drive at night when there's no one around?
when i passed my test i was a bit nervous driving by myself as obviously i wasn't used to it, but i set myself a goal. i told myself to drive around the block back to my house, see what i did wrong and then do it again until i was confident. from then on the goals got a bit higher, driving to the gym, dropping a mate off etc

set off small and gradually improve

I'll try that, it's just the fear of it now!
Original post by sarahthegemini
What actually happened on the bad drive?

My hill start was terrible, I stalled about 6 times and there as a massive que of cars behind causing lots of extra pressure. In the end I made my mum (has a licence but hates driving and has driven about 5 times in 20 odd years) take over. It was just horrible, my leg was shaking so much I physically couldn't do it and now I'm scared to go back out just incase, massive confidence knock!
Reply 7
Could be an option to take a few more lessons? Many driving schools will take people who have already passed if you want some help building confidence.
Original post by charlottemay93
My hill start was terrible, I stalled about 6 times and there as a massive que of cars behind causing lots of extra pressure. In the end I made my mum (has a licence but hates driving and has driven about 5 times in 20 odd years) take over. It was just horrible, my leg was shaking so much I physically couldn't do it and now I'm scared to go back out just incase, massive confidence knock!

Ah ok, well you've just got to bite the bullet and go for it tbh. I remember I was in Sainsburys car park, and a nice lady let me through, however I stalled twice, and then tried to pull off in neutral :facepalm: The car park was completely full and there was a lot waiting to leave, so they all saw/heard. That was pretty embarrassing. I think what made your situation worse is that you got your Mum to take over, whereas if you calmed yourself down and sorted it yourself, you'd feel more accomplished? Anyway, I completely empathise with you! But you've just gotta go for it, maybe try small hills to start with and then build up to hill starts on steep gradients?
Original post by Jelephant
Could be an option to take a few more lessons? Many driving schools will take people who have already passed if you want some help building confidence.

I've text my driving instructor this evening and he's going to accompany me for an hour, will hopefully be the boost I need :smile:
Original post by sarahthegemini
Ah ok, well you've just got to bite the bullet and go for it tbh. I remember I was in Sainsburys car park, and a nice lady let me through, however I stalled twice, and then tried to pull off in neutral :facepalm: The car park was completely full and there was a lot waiting to leave, so they all saw/heard. That was pretty embarrassing. I think what made your situation worse is that you got your Mum to take over, whereas if you calmed yourself down and sorted it yourself, you'd feel more accomplished? Anyway, I completely empathise with you! But you've just gotta go for it, maybe try small hills to start with and then build up to hill starts on steep gradients?

I physically couldn't do it, I was a mess! that's why i made my mum take over, I know I need to go back out and practice more and start small but I'm now just scared to get back in my car and do it. Feel bloody useless, but I've text my driving instructor and he's going to go out with me and hopefully get my confiendnce up :smile:
Original post by charlottemay93
I physically couldn't do it, I was a mess! that's why i made my mum take over, I know I need to go back out and practice more and start small but I'm now just scared to get back in my car and do it. Feel bloody useless, but I've text my driving instructor and he's going to go out with me and hopefully get my confiendnce up :smile:

Sorry I wasn't trying to sound narky, I understand why you got your Mum to take over :smile: I just think in hind sight, it would have been better to take a few deep breaths and sort it yourself - but obviously we can all say this after the situation has been amended! :tongue:

I understand the fear of getting back in the car and being behind the wheel, I was in a crash shortly after I passed my test (obviously I'm not comparing your mishap to my stupidity :tongue:) but it took me a while to build up my confidence again, so I just took short trips til I got my confidence back. It takes a bit of time, but as I said, just go for it. Good thinking getting your instructor to take you out again, hopefully he/she can talk you through hill starts and make you feel relaxed! :smile:
Reply 12
I passed a couple of months ago and still dislike hill starts. In my little 1L petrol it takes a high bite (whole car is shaking) and then a good bit of gas to get going if there's even a slight incline! I did a few terrible hill starts in the first couple of weeks, but getting better with practice :smile:

Never worry about the cars behind you, just focus on the task in hand. You can practice while parked to give you a bit more confidence, and getting in touch with your instructor again is a great idea.
thank you for all the advice :smile: nice to know I'm not the only one who struggles and has confidence issues. I'm just going to practice more and more and get back out there :smile:
Reply 14
I think the problem with driving lessons is I learnt to drive in a brand new Focus. The clutch was amazing, hill starts were a doddle and everything worked great. Then I passed and jumped into a 12 year old punto... Hill starts were a lot more challenging!

Just try to avoid routes you know you don't like if you have to. I live by a lot of hills and I tend to just avoid them if I have to otherwise I burn quite a bit of fuel. I had a bit of a baptism of fire by driving 150 miles down the motorway on my first day of having a car but everybody's different. Everyone gets a bit scared when they first pass. Don't go out at night like some people said, it can feel a lot more like people are driving right behind you and stuff. Just go for leisurely drives (preferably on your own! That's the only way you'll build confidence! I hate driving with my parents in the car and I've been driving for over a year, it's much better on your own!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending