The Student Room Group

Crashing Higher Engineering Not got a clue whatsoever

As title suggests I have decided to crash higher engineering with poor maths skills and honestly couldn’t tell you anything we learned in the last month before the summer, does anyone have any suggested resources for crashing in particular and specifically breaking down the course spec and going through examples at all? I also think its important to note I have the option to drop down to a national 5 after some time if I definitely don’t think its for me but I would love to even scrape a pass at the end of the year with the added effort. Any advice related at all would be dearly appreciated.

Thanks to all in advance
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by shaun_smith
As title suggests I have decided to crash higher engineering with poor maths skills and honestly couldn’t tell you anything we learned in the last month before the summer, does anyone have any suggested resources for crashing in particular and specifically breaking down the course spec and going through examples at all? I also think its important to note I have the option to drop down to a national 5 after some time if I definitely don’t think its for me but I would love to even scrape a pass at the end of the year with the added effort. Any advice related at all would be dearly appreciated.

Thanks to all in advance

Apologies, I'm not overly familiar with the Scottish qualifications, but in terms of engineering - do you think your ability to retain the content your learning is down to your confidence with maths? The reason I ask is that it might be better to focus on practising your maths to build your confidence up and that might naturally give you a better chance of understanding what you're being taught.

Do you already have a copy of the course spec? If you're struggling to break it down, I'd be happy to try and help you. Sometimes it can be better to pick topics you struggle with the most and do those first whilst you have the most time, then you can fill in the gaps with topics you're more confident with. Do you feel in a position to distinguish those topics or do you think it would be better to work through the spec methodically?
Reply 2
Original post by brainzistheword
Apologies, I'm not overly familiar with the Scottish qualifications, but in terms of engineering - do you think your ability to retain the content your learning is down to your confidence with maths? The reason I ask is that it might be better to focus on practising your maths to build your confidence up and that might naturally give you a better chance of understanding what you're being taught.

Do you already have a copy of the course spec? If you're struggling to break it down, I'd be happy to try and help you. Sometimes it can be better to pick topics you struggle with the most and do those first whilst you have the most time, then you can fill in the gaps with topics you're more confident with. Do you feel in a position to distinguish those topics or do you think it would be better to work through the spec methodically?

Thanks for your response, I have a copy of the course spec I can attach but the reason I mention maths is it's something
that pops up up when picking it, I got asked personally are you good with maths and/or physics both of which I am not but physics I did not personally pick. I think the big thing recently is being asked to calculate things based on circuit drawings but I have forgot the name of the topic (ironic) I am just totally lost on where to start do I go back to what I believe is gcse for you standard or do I keep on going with the A level and force stuff down my throat when I have no clue what it is?
Reply 3
Original post by shaun_smith
Thanks for your response, I have a copy of the course spec I can attach but the reason I mention maths is it's something
that pops up up when picking it, I got asked personally are you good with maths and/or physics both of which I am not but physics I did not personally pick. I think the big thing recently is being asked to calculate things based on circuit drawings but I have forgot the name of the topic (ironic) I am just totally lost on where to start do I go back to what I believe is gcse for you standard or do I keep on going with the A level and force stuff down my throat when I have no clue what it is?

sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/HigherCourseSpecEngineeringScience.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending