The Student Room Group

Should police carry guns?

And use if necessary?

I personally think so, perhaps high powered BB guns, or rubber pellets.

Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If I'm not allowed one in my home to defend myself, then they can do without too.

Edit: that's for carrying guns around, I would expect them to grab guns if there was some Raul Moat guy on the loose again, but not carry them around for average foot patrols.
(edited 11 years ago)
They do.....The rapid response units can usually get to a scene requiring Armed assistance as quick as an unarmed unit.

Arming all officers however leads to the risk of firearms going off when not needed or being used by the target.

CS gas and tasers and the like are lower risk and can cause the target to be of no danger. We rarely require armed response as guns aren't as easily available hear like usa, and anyone with one wouldnt really use it within reach of a response from police.
Reply 3
I personally agree with OP and think non lethal firearms would be a great idea.
Original post by ArounaF

Like Tazers?
Original post by ArounaF

The do have these firearms, but they only use them in riots etc.

The factor of the "non lethal" firearm being used on a innocent person and causing lasting damage has happened in the past.
Reply 6
No lethal firearm has ever been used in a riot situation in the UK.
Baton rounds have only been used in NI, not mainland UK.
Original post by Realadvice
No lethal firearm has ever been used in a riot situation in the UK.
Baton rounds have only been used in NI, not mainland UK.

Tbh they should just get out the water cannons
Reply 8
Current less than lethal are:
Baton round (often referred to as rubber bullets), are used but not in riots!
Taser
CS/Captor incapacitant spray (not a gas).
Reply 9
The continental police forces all use guns, and it seems to work alright for them.
Reply 10
I'm very proud that UK police don't carry lethal weapons on our streets. I think they do a good enough job, and to be honest, I fail to see how carrying a Sauer pistol at their sides would aid (or make a difference) to 90 percent of situations.

Guns have no place on the streets in a civilised democracy. They are for soldiers and special response units, not the local bobbie.
Original post by mb9236
I'm very proud that UK police don't carry lethal weapons on our streets. I think they do a good enough job, and to be honest, I fail to see how carrying a Sauer pistol at their sides would aid (or make a difference) to 90 percent of situations.

Guns have no place on the streets in a civilised democracy. They are for soldiers and special response units, not the local bobbie.

Quite right. Although the Glock 19 is used by more forces than the Sig!
No lethal firearm has ever been used in a riot situation in the GB.
Baton rounds have only been used in NI, not GB.

Corrected your post...therefore baton rounds have been used in the UK and have also killed and permanently disabled numerous people, some of which had nothing to do with riots.

Original post by mb9236

You are wrong, police in NI carry guns. Also, what happens in the other 10%?

Original post by Mr Bee
And use if necessary?

I personally think so, perhaps high powered BB guns, or rubber pellets.

Discuss.

Rubber bullets are just are almost and in some cases just as deadly as bullets. Hence why water cannons are used instead these days
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
While it is needed in other countries, I think there are 2 main reasons why they shouldn't here.

1. There is an armed police unit if needed, however, most of the time the presence of police is enough to deter crime. Therefore, why add something that will just bring controversy and fear? People respect the police for their job, they don't fear them because they have a gun.

2. Having been present on the student protests against tuition fees in London in 2010, I witnessed some disgusting things from the police. I know the news made it look like we were all hooligans throwing fire extinguishers about, but in actual fact,the majority of people were peaceful and well-behaved, yet I saw police being very free with their truncheons towards innocent people, can you imagine what would happen in that situation if they had guns?
(edited 11 years ago)
In Britain? Absolutely not. Whilst I know that there are some special forces that do have them, and the military, of course, I think non-lethal force is a far better way of dealing with trouble.

It may work in other countries but Britain is Britain and other countries are other countries. What is culturally sensible or accepted in other places isn't necessarily compatible with here.
Reply 15
Quite right. Although the Glock 19 is used by more forces than the Sig!

And how fun the Glock is to shoot! :biggrin:
Original post by bestofyou
Corrected your post...therefore baton rounds have been used in the UK and have also killed and permanently disabled numerous people, some of which had nothing to do with riots.

You're right, doesn't read very well.
In riot situations baton rounds have only been used in NI.
In other situations they have been used throughout the UK.
I was probably being too pedantic following the previous reference to riots....

You are wrong, police in NI carry guns. Also, what happens in the other 10%?

Reply 17
no. The armed response exists for a reason there is no need for the rest of the officers to have them. If we lived in a country were guns were widely available to the public then it would probably be a good idea but we don't.
Original post by mb9236
And how fun the Glock is to shoot! :biggrin:

A lot more civilised than a DE ! But that's the Israeli's for you....
Okay, not real firearms, but I definitely think they should have high powered bb guns with Metal/ Reinforced plastic pellets. For example a plastic pellet, with a steel core or whatever.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending