The Student Room Group

Entering Serbian qualifications

Hi all,

First off, I'm sorry if this has already been discussed, I have performed a search but with no success. I am a Serbian student and I'm applying to three UK universities this year, and I'm not sure how to enter my qualifications. Here in Serbia we have up to 17 subjects (or rather modules) each of the four years we spend in high school, and at the end of every year we get a certificate stating the final grades for that year's modules. In our final year, we are required to do 'Matura' - a final exam in three subjects (a test in two pre-determined subjects and a thesis in a third subject). The High School Leaving Certificate is the official high school qualification in Serbia, but it lists only those three subjects and is seen as a pure formality in my country - Serbian universities assess their candidates based on the four end-of-year certificates. Now, in UCAS apply, I have to select the high school leaving certificate as my qualification and I have no idea what to enter as modules - only the three subjects from the final exam, or all the modules I have taken - there are around 60 :s-smilie: It would be ideal if there was someone from Serbia who is now studying in the UK and who could reply to this, but obviously all help is welcome :wink: Thanks in advance!
What do the Universities you're applying to ask for as entry requirements? I would enter in this format... If you're still unsure, perhaps ring UCAS? Appreciate if you're doing that from Serbia, it might be expensive :s
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply :smile: The minimum entry requirements are exactly my problem... I'm applying to study French (and Italian at some unis), and I'll have Serbian and English (compulsory), as well as French on my leaving certificate. But, some unis have maths or an approved science (apart from English and French) as a minimum entry requirement - there's no way I could have that on my final certificate, but I did have maths, physics, chemistry and biology for two years (and had the highest grade in all of them)... If I enter, say, maths (2 modules - 1st year maths, 2nd year maths), then it doesn't seem right to leave those three subjects as final exam modules, but rather enter them the same way as maths (that would be 4 modules for each of the subjects)... And if I get to that point, what should I do about other relevant modules (e.g. Latin, Literature, Translation)? Bother entering them or just mention it in the personal statement? I'm completely confused...
You could try contacting the National Academic Recognition Centre here:

http://www.ecctis.co.uk/naric/default.aspx

Also, a very quick search on google brings up this page from Durham, regarding equivalent qualifications:

https://www.dur.ac.uk/international/countryinfo/?cid=132

You could have a look and see what the Universities you want to apply to ask for?

Or, alternatively, ring UCAS. You won't be the only Serbian student to have ever applied to University in the UK.
Reply 4
Hi and thanks for replying :smile: I found out about NARIC some time ago, but as far as I remember, the procedure there is far too complicated (and expensive)... And when it comes to the requirements of the universities - well, that's pretty much what confused me in the first place... I ended up contacting UCAS after all, and they said I should enter all the subjects from my last two years, as well as the final exam subjects, so the problem is solved :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending