The Student Room Group

Why do I cry all the time and sometimes for stupid reasons :( ?

I'm a really emotional person and it doesn't take much to induce my tears. I cry perhaps 3 times daily on average. I can't help it. The crying sessions last around 10 minutes and usually occur once memories of previous break-ups and family problems besiege my mind. Also stress for meeting deadlines makes me cry and general fear of imminent deadlines. However sometimes I start crying if I can't find a pen or if I misplaced a certain clothing item etc and even sometimes when we're out of coffee etc etc.
:penguinhug: *hug*

It sounds like you have so many things on your mind and they're all over the place so you get emotional as you remember one thing to the other. When you're feeling so drowned with emotion like this, little trivial things can make you burst into tears (like when you're out of coffee, as you mentioned!).

I can totally relate to this and there are so many ways to get out of the rut! If you're brave enough, I would 100% suggest counselling. I'm at university and we have a counselling center with free sessions to talk about anything and everything. It's scary at first, but they are trained in the field and it's so relieving to get everything off your chest to a total stranger! If you're not brave enough, then perhaps try writing everything bad in your life (i.e. everything that gets you down) in a list so you have all your negative thoughts in a physical format. Then try tackle each one individually. If you can't tackle them, then perhaps accept that they are part of the past and there is nothing you can do to change it (that's the hard part! acceptance!). When you've managed that, you can change your own outlook on it and be in control of your perceptions.

PM if you need to talk!
Reply 2
Original post by Alana6277
I'm a really emotional person and it doesn't take much to induce my tears. I cry perhaps 3 times daily on average. I can't help it. The crying sessions last around 10 minutes and usually occur once memories of previous break-ups and family problems besiege my mind. Also stress for meeting deadlines makes me cry and general fear of imminent deadlines. However sometimes I start crying if I can't find a pen or if I misplaced a certain clothing item etc and even sometimes when we're out of coffee etc etc.

I feel your pain. This happened to me about 2 months ago, just like you described. I wouldn't be able to find my keys or my phone, and suddenly, I'm crying for no reason. I was aware that I was crying for no reason, but couldn't stop the tears.

I know my outbursts of tears were purely due to all the crap that had happened at the time, and I needed to vent it all out, so my body's way of coping, was just constant 'angry' tears.

It's just stress hun :smile: If there is a lot on your mind, I suggest you talk it out with someone you trust. That's what I did, and I'm a lot better since then.

Hope this helps.
Reply 3
You sound really stressed/depressed. I suffer from anxiety panic attacks in certain situations, but one statement really helped me through:

Depression is the unnecessary worrying over something that has already happened, it's gone, in the past, it doesn't matter in the present. And anxiety is the unnecessary worrying over things that haven't even happened yet, and might never happen at all.
How much time do you spend living in the future or the past, rather than the present?

As daft as it may sound, try meditation (actually a lot of research has been done regarding meditation in the last 10 years and it has been found that these practices do alter activity of certain brain regions). When you feel down, think of all the good things you have achieved, all the good things you have in your life. Or as I do, shift your focus to some random thing that you can see, and enhance the quality of that focus eg instead of just looking at a tree, notice individual leaves moving in the wind, the suttle changes in colour, etc.

Since this is tsr, I may get a lot of hate for this post, but it worked for me, so I hope you'll find it useful too. Looking into cognitive behavioural therapy, mindfulness based stress approaches, etc may really help you to rewire the annoying protocol that you subconciously carry out in your mind when you feel down. It certainly kept me in control when I recently went through a tough time.

Good luck
ash
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ash92:)
You sound really stressed/depressed. I suffer from anxiety panic attacks in certain situations, but one statement really helped me through:

Depression is the unnecessary worrying over something that has already happened, it's gone, in the past, it doesn't matter in the present. And anxiety is the unnecessary worrying over things that haven't even happened yet, and might never happen at all.
How much time do you spend living in the future or the past, rather than the present?

As daft as it may sound, try meditation (actually a lot of research has been done regarding meditation in the last 10 years and it has been found that these practices do alter activity of certain brain regions). When you feel down, think of all the good things you have achieved, all the good things you have in your life. Or as I do, shift your focus to some random thing that you can see, and enhance the quality of that focus eg instead of just looking at a tree, notice individual leaves moving in the wind, the suttle changes in colour, etc.

Since this is tsr, I may get a lot of hate for this post, but it worked for me, so I hope you'll find it useful too. Looking into cognitive behavioural therapy, mindfulness based stress approaches, etc may really help you to rewire the annoying protocol that you subconciously carry out in your mind when you feel down. It certainly kept me in control when I recently went through a tough time.

Good luck
ash

You are correct, I am overly depressed about the past and likewise anxious about the future.
I hate the present and so I try envisage the future, however its prospects make me anxious because the past will always reflect into it :frown: xx
Reply 5
You are correct, I am overly depressed about the past and likewise anxious about the future.
I hate the present and so I try envisage the future, however its prospects make me anxious because the past will always reflect into it :frown: xx

no worries :wink:

I see, it's a vicious circle

It's incredible how simple it really is, yet how worked up we can become. Talking to people about it really helps you realise what good you have in your life. The present may suck, but think about what good things are happening in your life atm.

I listened to a lecture by Dr Philipe Goldin (I'm a biomedical science student) which proved really useful to me - though it might be a bit too much detailed for you. But one of my lecturers Has a postgraduate qualification in hypnosis, and advised me to got to "thechangeworks.com" and purchase (cheaply) the "naturalSelfConfidence" audio. This may also help you as it helped me. Don't worry it's nothing like the crazy stage hypnosis we all imagine, it's just 2 people talking - making you visualise a scene where you are amongst nature, and try to relate that to confidence and strength.

If you need to talk to someone about generally feeling down etc, just PM me, i'm not on tsr as often as i used to be but I'll do whatever I can to help.
Are you depressed?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7
Original post by smilingrainbow
Are you depressed?

Yeah :frown:
Yeah :frown:

I used to be depressed as well. And the way to cure it is to try to find out the core reason. And when you do, try to find a way to "cure" yourself or solve your problems. That will be a very big help!

Quick Reply

Latest