The Student Room Group

Business studies unit 3 and 4 2013

Anyone doing edexcel business studies unit 3 (6BS03) and 4a (6BS04) in 2013?

You might find this helpful for unit 4a : pre release case study 2013

What are your revision techniques and answering styles? Let's share below :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Anybody taking Business unit 4A this jan?
If anybody is, how do i prepare for the case study? :/
Reply 2
Original post by ifte.shawn01
Anybody taking Business unit 4A this jan?
If anybody is, how do i prepare for the case study? :/

I am :smile: Got the case study yet? What do your teachers predict as possible questions?
Well actually i am a private candidate and i am all by myself :rolleyes:
Reply 4
Well actually i am a private candidate and i am all by myself :rolleyes:

Maybe we can discuss it together. Ratios may come up, eg. calculate current ratio, acid test ratio from the balance sheet. What else do you think are possible?
umm questions on CSR might come.
Have you practised any questions?
Reply 6
umm questions on CSR might come.
Have you practised any questions?

Yeah CSR should definitely come up (at least in June). The main focus seems to be on the expansion of stores, so a question from that might be the 20 or 30 marker. Didn't exactly practise any questions yet, just wrote down possible points for answers :colone: Shall we answer a question here?
Reply 7
x

What about corporate culture? Surely it would be affected because Theo Karpathios quit superdry, and also new managers were recruited?
Reply 8
Hi i'm also doing unit 4 on the 24th! I definetly think CSR is going to come up for one of the 20 or 30 markers. Fingers crossed it is because there is quite a lot you talk write about. How have you guys been revising for this? i dont think theres a lot of people taking it in january
Reply 9
Original post by jl779
Hi i'm also doing unit 4 on the 24th! I definetly think CSR is going to come up for one of the 20 or 30 markers. Fingers crossed it is because there is quite a lot you talk write about. How have you guys been revising for this? i dont think theres a lot of people taking it in january

Yeah not many people do this, so we need every man (or woman) to get this thread going! :tongue:

CSR for a 20/30 marker? That had never happened, and CSR shows up only for 8 markers or less, imo.

Even if CSR did show up for that many marks, there is nothing much to write about!! The only things I would talk about are that having leads to higher brand image, employees would be motivated and costly lawsuits can be avoided... What else is there? :confused:
Reply 10
Original post by ezioaudi77
Yeah not many people do this, so we need every man (or woman) to get this thread going! :tongue:

CSR for a 20/30 marker? That had never happened, and CSR shows up only for 8 markers or less, imo.

Even if CSR did show up for that many marks, there is nothing much to write about!! The only things I would talk about are that having leads to higher brand image, employees would be motivated and costly lawsuits can be avoided... What else is there? :confused:

oh my bad hahah maybe it wont be worth so many marks then. im not so sure ive been self teaching this topic so im really unsure whats gonna come up to be honest. any ideas?
Reply 11
Original post by jl779
oh my bad hahah maybe it wont be worth so many marks then. im not so sure ive been self teaching this topic so im really unsure whats gonna come up to be honest. any ideas?

The final topic of the specification "Company growth" is important because SuperGroup is planning to expand through mergers (inorganic growth) and new stores ,such as the austin reed store (organic growth).

Did you form any questions?
Reply 12
i think contingency planning may be involved somehow after they experienced the problems with the new warehouse system so could be linked to the firm growing too quickly? so this could maybe come up with the additional case study information in the exam
Reply 13
Original post by jl779
i think contingency planning may be involved somehow after they experienced the problems with the new warehouse system so could be linked to the firm growing too quickly? so this could maybe come up with the additional case study information in the exam

Yeah I think so too! Also, superdry had new managers recruited and also one of the cofounders left...so this could affect corporate culture? In that case this could come up as new evidence as well :smile:

What do you think about ratios? I don't think it will come up in the major questions but maybe 4 markers because a small balance sheet extract is given...

And investment appraisal techniques (incl. decision trees, CPA, etc)? Do you think they could be questioned at all?
Reply 14
yeah definitely!!

Well for ratios since theyve only provided us with the balance sheet they may question us on the acid test ratio and the current ratio so those will probably be 4 markers so yeah agree with you on that one! :smile:

Investment appraisal could come up as they might link it with the growth for maybe their European growth or even the rest of the world? So possibly. This could maybe be part the answer for one of the 20/30 markers?
Reply 15
Also what type of culture would you say Supergroup use?
Reply 16
Original post by jl779
yeah definitely!!

Well for ratios since theyve only provided us with the balance sheet they may question us on the acid test ratio and the current ratio so those will probably be 4 markers so yeah agree with you on that one! :smile:

Investment appraisal could come up as they might link it with the growth for maybe their European growth or even the rest of the world? So possibly. This could maybe be part the answer for one of the 20/30 markers?

Better prepare for that too then. Thing is, there are just so many techniques, not just one or two and their evaluations have to be studied as well :redface:
Reply 17
Original post by ezioaudi77
Better prepare for that too then. Thing is, there are just so many techniques, not just one or two and their evaluations have to be studied as well :redface:

exactly! so difficult trying to guess whats going to come up, because almost every topic can be linked back to superdry haha so annoying!!
Reply 18
Original post by jl779
Also what type of culture would you say Supergroup use?

I think it has a power or role culture.

Power because most decisions seem to be made by few individuals (Dunkerton,Holder).

Role because there are clear job descriptions to employees (Luc Clement as head of european franchising, and the new managers have been appointed different positions as well).

Feel free to disagree with me or add new reasons.
Reply 19
I think its slightly more geared towards Role culture as power culture is more common for soletraders or newer businesses however there are definite aspects of both used. So do you think we could mention that its a mixture of both if the question was to come up?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending