The Student Room Group

Need urgent advice and help please

Shall I do BTEC Business Level 3 diploma or extended diploma?
Is it hard or easy?
I never done Business and I did do Economics.
Do you recommend me to do it or not?
Any help or advice is appreciated.
How's the coursework and exam like?
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by QueenOla
Is it hard or easy?
Do you remember me to do it or not?

Definitely do extended then you’ll focus more on it as juggle an a level at the same time is kinda difficult. I do extended and the coursework is good as long as you manage your time you’ll do 4 exams and 13 coursework but it’s not that difficult I’m in hear 13 atm so I’ve done 2 exams and 7 coursework.
Is it hard or easy?
Do you remember me to do it or not?

If you goal is to enter university following the completion of the BTEC, then you should definitely study for the Extended Diploma as it is worth the equivalent of three A levels. The Diploma is only worth the equivalent of two A levels, meaning it'd be much harder to gain entry to university with it.
Reply 3
Original post by bethany145
Definitely do extended then you’ll focus more on it as juggle an a level at the same time is kinda difficult. I do extended and the coursework is good as long as you manage your time you’ll do 4 exams and 13 coursework but it’s not that difficult I’m in hear 13 atm so I’ve done 2 exams and 7 coursework.

Thanks so much for your reply. I want to do it in one year am I able to? I already done BTEC IT got a Distinction. And failed Maths and Economics. My school said to do BTEC L3 course I want to stay for one year shall I do the Extended Business or Diploma?
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
If you goal is to enter university following the completion of the BTEC, then you should definitely study for the Extended Diploma as it is worth the equivalent of three A levels. The Diploma is only worth the equivalent of two A levels, meaning it'd be much harder to gain entry to university with it.

I want go Uni. I already done IT BTEC L3 got a Distinction. Since I failed Maths and Economics my school said to do a L3 course. I want to take L3 course one year and do either diploma or extended I am not sure what to do help me
Reply 5
Thanks so much for your reply. I want to do it in one year am I able to? I already done BTEC IT got a Distinction. And failed Maths and Economics. My school said to do BTEC L3 course I want to stay for one year shall I do the Extended Business or Diploma?

If you really really want to stay for one year only then you can only do a diploma but it’s better to stay for 2 years and do the extended as it will be equivalent to 3 alevels but it’s your choice❤️
I want go Uni. I already done IT BTEC L3 got a Distinction. Since I failed Maths and Economics my school said to do a L3 course. I want to take L3 course one year and do either diploma or extended I am not sure what to do help me

When you say that you've "already done IT BTEC L3", was that a BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in IT? Or was it something else?

You say you "want to take L3 course one year". As both the Diploma and the Extended Diploma are designed to be studied over two years, they'd be tough to complete it in one year. The Diploma contains fewer units than the Extended Diploma, so that might be a better choice.

Between the "IT BTEC L3" you already have (which I assume is an BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate) and an BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Business, you'd have the equivalent of three A levels - which should give you a good shot at a university place.

Do you have any idea what you might like to study at university, or at which university you might like to study it? These are important questions, as not all universities / courses are equally welcoming of BTECs - so it's best to know sooner rather than later if there's going to be a potential issue.
Reply 7
When you say that you've "already done IT BTEC L3", was that a BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in IT? Or was it something else?

You say you "want to take L3 course one year". As both the Diploma and the Extended Diploma are designed to be studied over two years, they'd be tough to complete it in one year. The Diploma contains fewer units than the Extended Diploma, so that might be a better choice.

Between the "IT BTEC L3" you already have (which I assume is an BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate) and an BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Business, you'd have the equivalent of three A levels - which should give you a good shot at a university place.

Do you have any idea what you might like to study at university, or at which university you might like to study it? These are important questions, as not all universities / courses are equally welcoming of BTECs - so it's best to know sooner rather than later if there's going to be a potential issue.

I want to do Com Sci at Uni.
Yes correct I did BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in IT. Got a D.
I want to do Com Sci at Uni.
Yes correct I did BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in IT. Got a D.

OK. For Computer Science, most high-profile unis want a Maths A level, in addition you whatever BTEC you have. Those that don't often want an Extended Diploma (worth 3 A levels) rather than multiple "smaller" BTECs like the Extended Certificate or the Diploma. There are many that would happily accept multiple smaller BTECs, but they tend to at the lower end in terms of quality.

Have you considered "topping-up" your Extended Certificate in IT to and Extended Diploma in IT? The Extended Certificate contains 4 units, whilst the Extended Diploma contains 13, but 4 are the units you've already done in the Extended Certificate - so you'd only have to do 9 units. (The process of "topping-up" to a larger qualification at the same level is explained here.) I don't know if this could be done in one year - you'd need to check with your college.

If you did this and ended-up with a BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in IT, that would meet University of Nottingham's entry requirements for Computer Science / Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence (see here). It would also meet the requirements for Royal Holloway (as long as you took the Programming module), Aston University, Kingston University, etc.

Does that approach have any appeal?
Reply 9
OK. For Computer Science, most high-profile unis want a Maths A level, in addition you whatever BTEC you have. Those that don't often want an Extended Diploma (worth 3 A levels) rather than multiple "smaller" BTECs like the Extended Certificate or the Diploma. There are many that would happily accept multiple smaller BTECs, but they tend to at the lower end in terms of quality.

Have you considered "topping-up" your Extended Certificate in IT to and Extended Diploma in IT? The Extended Certificate contains 4 units, whilst the Extended Diploma contains 13, but 4 are the units you've already done in the Extended Certificate - so you'd only have to do 9 units. (The process of "topping-up" to a larger qualification at the same level is explained here.) I don't know if this could be done in one year - you'd need to check with your college.

If you did this and ended-up with a BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in IT, that would meet University of Nottingham's entry requirements for Computer Science / Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence (see here). It would also meet the requirements for Royal Holloway (as long as you took the Programming module), Aston University, Kingston University, etc.

Does that approach have any appeal?

All college spaces all full.

I have called City Uni of London and said I could do a foundation year for Com Sci with BTEC Business and IT.

My school has offered me to stay for 2 years either do diploma or extended diploma for Business.

All colleges for IT are not allowing to do the other units as you said I dont know why maybe because there is no space.
All college spaces all full.

I have called City Uni of London and said I could do a foundation year for Com Sci with BTEC Business and IT.

My school has offered me to stay for 2 years either do diploma or extended diploma for Business.

All colleges for IT are not allowing to do the other units as you said I dont know why maybe because there is no space.

Understood.

It's a shame that you can't find any colleges to help you top-up the Extended Certificate in IT to an Extended Diploma - especially as you achieved a Distinction.

Hopefully, when the time comes, other unis will also make you offers based upon the Business / IT combination of BTECs, so you have a choice and aren't limited to just City.

I hope it all works out for you. Good luck. :crossedf:
Reply 11
Understood.

It's a shame that you can't find any colleges to help you top-up the Extended Certificate in IT to an Extended Diploma - especially as you achieved a Distinction.

Hopefully, when the time comes, other unis will also make you offers based upon the Business / IT combination of BTECs, so you have a choice and aren't limited to just City.

I hope it all works out for you. Good luck. :crossedf:

hopefully it works well for me.

I know I have no choice unfortunately would have loved to do the IT BTEC to top it up. But can't
Reply 12
Original post by bethany145

can you tell your tips and advice for BTEC Business please

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending