The Student Room Group

Btec level 3 Business

Hi so everyone in YR 12 who is doing business and with the Pearson exam board .The marketing campaign exam .Any help
Will be much appreciated

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Structure is very important try find resources to structure your exam and 7 ps are very very important can get you a lot of marks. Explain. Explain. Explain. It is very important imagine an examiner asking why u did this and why you chose that method. Dont focus on the start too much and always refer back to the question to get higher grades shows you understand what your saying and what the question is asking you to do. Also use youtube videos and perfect your structure.
Hope that helps x
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 2
Thanks for the help what year are you in
Reply 3
Original post by Deedeejalj
Structure is very important try find resources to structure your exam and 7 ps are very very important can get you a lot of marks. Explain. Explain. Explain. It is very important imagine an examiner asking why u did this and why you chose that method. Dont focus on the start too much and always refer back to the question to get higher grades shows you understand what your saying and what the question is asking you to do. Also use youtube videos and perfect your structure.
Hope that helps x

Reply 4
Original post by H_20

Year 13 i study business btec as well
Reply 5
Original post by Deedeejalj

Year 13 i study business btec as well

Can you link some of the resources u used for the exam. Btw what did you get in ur January exam
Reply 6
Original post by H_20
Hi so everyone in YR 12 who is doing business and with the Pearson exam board .The marketing campaign exam .Any help
Will be much appreciated

Hi. Just recently typed this up for someone else doing Unit 2 as well so I'll paste it here too. hope this helps you!

I did BTEC Business in 6th form and I got Distinction for both! Some really helpful tips for you:
Unit 2:

Follow a concise structure, make sure you keep this structure throughout your work as it's easy to get carried away with little things such as not spacing at your paragraphs.

The structure I used was as follows for subtitles: Title [Activity 1], Introduction,Marketing Aims and Objectives, Research, Size, Structure and trends of the market,Competition, Evaluation of reliability and validity of the information, Justification[SWOT], Justification [PESTLE], Title [Activity 2], Introduction, Marketing Mix, Product,Price, Place, Promotion, Marketing message, selection of media, campaign budget, timescale, conclusion.

Remember to aim for at LEAST 4 SMART marketing objectives and explain each,explaining how you plan on achieving these marketing objectives.

Constantly refer back to the case study throughout your work. Make relevant links,don't just throw in random facts and statistics, use them to your advantage. Use themto explain your points, your conclusions, back up any data, etc. The examiners want to see that you have good understanding of the market not that you can copy and paste facts that you both have already.

Strengths and weaknesses are important. Assess these in key areas such asevaluation of reliability of information. This shows the examiners that you are factoring in different circumstances.

SWOT & PESTLE - Ensure everything your analysing here is linked back to the case study. Do not go off on a tangent. This, along with PESTLE, is an analysis of thebusiness and the environment/economy. Point out why this would or wouldn't affect the business

Make sure to start activity 2 on a new page

For the Marketing Mix, always aim to do the extended marketing mix were possible[all 7 P's]. If some P's are not relevant, then this must be explained.

Timescale - do not leave too much of your budget left at the end. Utilise the amountgiven in a smart way as it's been given for a reason. Consider factors such as if thebusiness is considering going national, if they're expanding their supply to meetdemand, if they're diversifying, etc. This would all incur more costs and so morereasons to use more of your budget.

Reply 7
Original post by davidccch
Original post by H_20
Will be much appreciated

Hi. Just recently typed this up for someone else doing Unit 2 as well so I'll paste it here too. hope this helps you!

I did BTEC Business in 6th form and I got Distinction for both! Some really helpful tips for you:
Unit 2:

Follow a concise structure, make sure you keep this structure throughout your work as it's easy to get carried away with little things such as not spacing at your paragraphs.

The structure I used was as follows for subtitles: Title [Activity 1], Introduction,Marketing Aims and Objectives, Research, Size, Structure and trends of the market,Competition, Evaluation of reliability and validity of the information, Justification[SWOT], Justification [PESTLE], Title [Activity 2], Introduction, Marketing Mix, Product,Price, Place, Promotion, Marketing message, selection of media, campaign budget, timescale, conclusion.

Remember to aim for at LEAST 4 SMART marketing objectives and explain each,explaining how you plan on achieving these marketing objectives.

Constantly refer back to the case study throughout your work. Make relevant links,don't just throw in random facts and statistics, use them to your advantage. Use themto explain your points, your conclusions, back up any data, etc. The examiners want to see that you have good understanding of the market not that you can copy and paste facts that you both have already.

Strengths and weaknesses are important. Assess these in key areas such asevaluation of reliability of information. This shows the examiners that you are factoring in different circumstances.

SWOT & PESTLE - Ensure everything your analysing here is linked back to the case study. Do not go off on a tangent. This, along with PESTLE, is an analysis of thebusiness and the environment/economy. Point out why this would or wouldn't affect the business

For the Marketing Mix, always aim to do the extended marketing mix were possible[all 7 P's]. If some P's are not relevant, then this must be explained.

Timescale - do not leave too much of your budget left at the end. Utilise the amountgiven in a smart way as it's been given for a reason. Consider factors such as if thebusiness is considering going national, if they're expanding their supply to meetdemand, if they're diversifying, etc. This would all incur more costs and so morereasons to use more of your budget.

Hi thanks I appreciate this
Reply 8
Original post by H_20
Will be much appreciated

Unit 2:

If you don’t mind do u stil have copies of your mock exam papers if so could you send them

Btw what were your other subjects
Reply 9
Original post by H_20

Unit 2:

If you don’t mind do u stil have copies of your mock exam papers if so could you send them

I don't have any of my mocks or exams anymore seeing as I did unit 2 in 2021 unfortunately. My other subjects were economics, and Law. But I'm willing to give tips that got me my top marks for unit 2, 3, and 6.
Reply 10
Original post by H_20

Unit 2:

I don't have any of my mocks or exams anymore seeing as I did unit 2 in 2021 unfortunately. My other subjects were economics, and Law. But I'm willing to give tips that got me my top marks for unit 2, 3, and 6.

Unit 2 tips please for each section.
Reply 11
Original post by H_20

This is going to be quite long! Apologies in advance haha.

Activity 1:
Introduction - briefly say what you'll be doing/writing about [a rationale]
Marketing Aims and Objectives - Explain importance of marketing aims and objectives briefly. Briefly write what their purpose is. Then, state what the business' aim is and what objectives that YOU have come up with for them to implement. Make sure this is at LEAST 4 objectives. Write the 4 objectives in bullet points, and then beneath the points, explain each objective in some more brief detail. For example, if one of the goals is to build relationships with 3rd party suppliers, why would this benefit the business? How could they use this to their advantage? How would you measure brand awareness increasing? KPIs?
Research - this should be kept very brief. Just write how you were able to develop the knowledge you have about the market and mention the use of primary and secondary research, quantitative/qualitative data. No more than 3-5 lines.
Target market - Give some background before jumping straight in. Is the market mass? What popular brands occupy the Market? What's their current sales volume? Then, start to link to your business. Should your business keep monitoring the current sales volumes of its competitors? How does this link to their aims and objectives? If all brands are targeting a specific type of consumer, what should your business do to diversify and find its own target market? How would this aid in achieving their aims? Do the statistics support your point? Why or why not?
Size, structure, and trends of market - discuss the current size of the market and if it's growing or shrinking. Is it saturated or mature? Early stages? How would this affect the progress of the business? If it's highly profitable, then perhaps the business can exploit this opportunity. How does the size of the market link to their aims and objectives? Brand image? Remember that no industry is perfect - where there is good there is also bad, so talk about the drawbacks of the size too [e.g., a market may be seen to be growing but a specific subsegment is shrinking. How would this affect the business? and aims? objectives?]. What is the trend within the market? What's the demographic of people purchasing the product or service? Is this demographic changing or fluctuating? Is it a still demographic [as in throughout the year] or is it fluctuating demographic [e.g., 16-24 during summer, 40+ during winter, or vegans, vegetarians, pescatarians, etc], Are they aiming for a more ethical approach to business? Does this reflect in the market?
Competition - who are the businesses top 3 competitors? What are their current values in the market? What is their market share? Why are they such big competitors and how does this pose a threat to your business? How can your business use its aim to beat the competition? How can its aims/objectives damage their business? Suggest this. Out of the 3, who is the biggest competitor and why? What ARE they doing that your business needs to do? What ARENT they doing that your business SHOULD do in order to gain competitive advantage? Where should they sell? Is it niche? How can they adapt to trends?
Evaluation of reliability and validity of information - was the information provided a good insight into the market? was it biased? Was it outdated? Did the surveys take place at a good time, and if not how would this have skewed the reliability of the data? Was it representative, and if not how could this skew validity? Did it target the demographic you aimed to target originally, and if not why? Was the sample size large enough? Were the questions misleading?
Justification [SWOT] - This is highly dependent on the business, but the general things to discuss are what exactly in the business is their strength, weakness, opportunities, and threats. Aim to talk about 2 in each column and explain how this would affect their aims and therefore your created objectives. Always refer back to the case study as well as your objectives.
Justification [PESTLE] - DO NOT MIX THIS UP WITH SWOT!! This is an assessment of the economy and business environment and NOT of the business but you MUST talk about how this affects your business. You must make sure the issues you choose for each letter are current and relevant. For example, for political you can talk about inflation as it's a current issue and how it would affect your business. You should aim to talk about 2 for each here too, but one would suffice if talked about in sufficient detail.
Conclusion - now that you've done the research and analysis, do you think your business should proceed with their aims? Explain and analyse why you think this. What should they be mindful of?

Activity 2
Introduction - write about what you're going to do in this section briefly [1-2 lines]
Marketing mix - talk about all 7Ps where relevant. Link back to the case study and aims/objectives [e.g.,]
Marketing message - define what a marketing message is briefly and how it can be used. Then, explain what the marketing message you're going to convey for the business is. How will you do this and why have you decided to use that message? What is the business' USP? Advantage?
Selection of media - what media have you decided to use and why? How is this appropriate. Once you've decided which media to use [usually pick between 3 and 5 types of media], you must explain each one individually and why you've decided to use it.
Campaign budget - The subtitles at the top should be: Methods of promotion, media costs, additional costs, total costs, and extra info [optional if you want to add more clarification]. Then, you must write all of your chosen media and fill in the boxes that have been subtitled above. Do the needed calculation, etc. Then, once completed, write briefly what the campaign budget was and what the selection of media total costs were making sure to add everything up and subtracting it from the campaign budget to state what the extra expenses left over are.
Timescale - This should usually be monthly [4 weeks], depending on the case study as they may have given you a specific timescale or time period. Then fill these out in different colours indicating how long each objective will take to complete. Examples of objectives are: identifying aims of business, analysing primary and secondary market research, identifying target market, etc. Then, at the end, explain how long the campaign should run for and why. Write what the different colours indicate [e.g., different teams?] Write what date the campaign should start and finish.
Conclusion - 3-4 line conclusion to summarise the marketing campaign of activity 2 and how it will help them achieve their aim and work towards your chosen objectives.

Hope this helps you immensely!
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 12
Original post by H_20

Activity 1:
Marketing Aims and Objectives - Explain importance of marketing aims and objectives briefly. Briefly write what their purpose is. Then, state what the business' aim is and what objectives that YOU have come up with for them to implement. Make sure this is at LEAST 4 objectives. Write the 4 objectives in bullet points, and then beneath the points, explain each objective in some more brief detail. For example, if one of the goals is to build relationships with 3rd party suppliers, why would this benefit the business? How could they use this to their advantage? How would you measure brand awareness increasing? KPIs?
Research - this should be kept very brief. Just write how you were able to develop the knowledge you have about the market and mention the use of primary and secondary research, quantitative/qualitative data. No more than 3-5 lines.
Target market - Give some background before jumping straight in. Is the market mass? What popular brands occupy the Market? What's their current sales volume? Then, start to link to your business. Should your business keep monitoring the current sales volumes of its competitors? How does this link to their aims and objectives? If all brands are targeting a specific type of consumer, what should your business do to diversify and find its own target market? How would this aid in achieving their aims? Do the statistics support your point? Why or why not?
Size, structure, and trends of market - discuss the current size of the market and if it's growing or shrinking. Is it saturated or mature? Early stages? How would this affect the progress of the business? If it's highly profitable, then perhaps the business can exploit this opportunity. How does the size of the market link to their aims and objectives? Brand image? Remember that no industry is perfect - where there is good there is also bad, so talk about the drawbacks of the size too [e.g., a market may be seen to be growing but a specific subsegment is shrinking. How would this affect the business? and aims? objectives?]. What is the trend within the market? What's the demographic of people purchasing the product or service? Is this demographic changing or fluctuating? Is it a still demographic [as in throughout the year] or is it fluctuating demographic [e.g., 16-24 during summer, 40+ during winter, or vegans, vegetarians, pescatarians, etc], Are they aiming for a more ethical approach to business? Does this reflect in the market?
Competition - who are the businesses top 3 competitors? What are their current values in the market? What is their market share? Why are they such big competitors and how does this pose a threat to your business? How can your business use its aim to beat the competition? How can its aims/objectives damage their business? Suggest this. Out of the 3, who is the biggest competitor and why? What ARE they doing that your business needs to do? What ARENT they doing that your business SHOULD do in order to gain competitive advantage? Where should they sell? Is it niche? How can they adapt to trends?
Evaluation of reliability and validity of information - was the information provided a good insight into the market? was it biased? Was it outdated? Did the surveys take place at a good time, and if not how would this have skewed the reliability of the data? Was it representative, and if not how could this skew validity? Did it target the demographic you aimed to target originally, and if not why? Was the sample size large enough? Were the questions misleading?
Justification [SWOT] - This is highly dependent on the business, but the general things to discuss are what exactly in the business is their strength, weakness, opportunities, and threats. Aim to talk about 2 in each column and explain how this would affect their aims and therefore your created objectives. Always refer back to the case study as well as your objectives.
Justification [PESTLE] - DO NOT MIX THIS UP WITH SWOT!! This is an assessment of the economy and business environment and NOT of the business but you MUST talk about how this affects your business. You must make sure the issues you choose for each letter are current and relevant. For example, for political you can talk about inflation as it's a current issue and how it would affect your business. You should aim to talk about 2 for each here too, but one would suffice if talked about in sufficient detail.
Conclusion - now that you've done the research and analysis, do you think your business should proceed with their aims? Explain and analyse why you think this. What should they be mindful of?

Activity 2
Introduction - write about what you're going to do in this section briefly [1-2 lines]
Marketing mix - talk about all 7Ps where relevant. Link back to the case study and aims/objectives [e.g.,]
Marketing message - define what a marketing message is briefly and how it can be used. Then, explain what the marketing message you're going to convey for the business is. How will you do this and why have you decided to use that message? What is the business' USP? Advantage?
Selection of media - what media have you decided to use and why? How is this appropriate. Once you've decided which media to use [usually pick between 3 and 5 types of media], you must explain each one individually and why you've decided to use it.
Campaign budget - The subtitles at the top should be: Methods of promotion, media costs, additional costs, total costs, and extra info [optional if you want to add more clarification]. Then, you must write all of your chosen media and fill in the boxes that have been subtitled above. Do the needed calculation, etc. Then, once completed, write briefly what the campaign budget was and what the selection of media total costs were making sure to add everything up and subtracting it from the campaign budget to state what the extra expenses left over are.
Timescale - This should usually be monthly [4 weeks], depending on the case study as they may have given you a specific timescale or time period. Then fill these out in different colours indicating how long each objective will take to complete. Examples of objectives are: identifying aims of business, analysing primary and secondary market research, identifying target market, etc. Then, at the end, explain how long the campaign should run for and why. Write what the different colours indicate [e.g., different teams?] Write what date the campaign should start and finish.
Conclusion - 3-4 line conclusion to summarise the marketing campaign of activity 2 and how it will help them achieve their aim and work towards your chosen objectives.

Thank you I’m going to use this over this week alot as the next week is the exam
Reply 13
Good luck! Don't stress too much, as long as you remember the subtitles and refer to the case study, the business and aims and your objectives then you will be fine. Just don't forget that you always have to talk about how everything your stating affects the business and therefore their aims and so your objectives [it's basically a never ending cycle of domino effects]. I'll keep monitoring this in case you guys need anymore help!
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 14
Btw we were told to link our marketing objectives and our marketing message

Do we do our objectives throughout the whole thing
And our marketing message just in part B ?
Reply 15
Good luck! Don't stress too much, as long as you remember the subtitles and refer to the case study, the business and aims and your objectives then you will be fine. Just don't forget that you always have to talk about how everything your stating affects the business and therefore their aims and so your objectives [it's basically a never ending cycle of domino effects]. I'll keep monitoring this in case you guys need anymore help!

Just to be clear by part B I mean activity 2
Reply 16

Also how do we make the aims as the objective are given to us already
Reply 17

I’m sorry for so many questions but you know for activity 1 and 2 you have to do them both in part B which is the 3 hour session then Part A the note taking session. Is prior and 2hour session
Reply 18

Activity 1:

Activity 2

hi if u dont mind can u show me a structure you used for Unit 1 paper for financial planning & analysis
Reply 19
Original post by H_20
Btw we were told to link our marketing objectives and our marketing message

Do we do our objectives throughout the whole thing
And our marketing message just in part B ?

Yes. You must link your marketing message to your marketing objectives, but you also need to discuss your objectives throughout all your work. You have to discuss why and how ur objectives can be met, or how they'll be affected in accordance to whatever your point you may be making.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending