The Student Room Group

uni cape town

hi,

can anybody tell me something about the university of cape town, especially the humanities department ?

i am going to study philosophy in vienna next year (i am from germany) but i kind of really want to make my full bachelor in cape town, i have been thinking about this for many weeks.
i already let my certificates get translated and i scored better at toefl than i need for uct.

if i won't like it in vienna i think i am going to apply to uct without a doubt. however, if i like vienna i don't know what to do because i would still want to go to cape town i think.

pros and cons:
vienna:
pros:
german speaking, good for education, ranked as one of the most liveable cities if not the most liveable citie, good ranked for philosophy/humanities.
cons: sometimes you hear that austrian students from vienna don't like german students to come there, international, but still german speaking, so speaking english may not be trained very much, maybe not that amazing landscape as cape town

cape town:
pros:
landscape, international, diverse, english speaking, fees should be ok
cons:
studying philosophy in english may be a bit difficult for non native speakers, but not a big cons point, racism ?, danger ?, maybe not that good education ?,
are south african degrees especially from cape town easily accepted at foreign universities from europe and america and so on ?
(edited 11 years ago)
Just answered your other thread, but here's what I said:

Hmmm that's a tough one. Although Cape Town sounds very exotic, is it any good at philosophy? If you want exotic and philosophical, what about Australian Universities? They are some of the best at philosophy in the world and produce really bright influential philosophers (like Peter Singer and Huw Price). I realise I may have just added another choice to your decision instead of helping resolve it

Also Cape Town can be seriously dangerous, but it would be an amazing city to study in. Just make sure that the Uni is actually good at philosophy--take a look and see if there are good academics there if you really love the subject!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending