The Student Room Group

Is it wise to get accommodation in a different town to my University?

I am a bit late for the accommodation and so my only current option is to either get expensive accommodation in the city centre of the university town, or get slightly cheaper private accommodation in a town about 15 or so miles away. I am a keen cyclist and so a 15 mile ride is not that big of a deal, plus there is a bus route that goes between these towns. My question therefore is, will I regret this at some point and how will it play out logistically? Also I guess another downside is that I will be miles away from anybody at the university as most likely everybody will have got accommodation in the university city/town itself.
Original post by Bo77 Tman
I am a bit late for the accommodation and so my only current option is to either get expensive accommodation in the city centre of the university town, or get slightly cheaper private accommodation in a town about 15 or so miles away. I am a keen cyclist and so a 15 mile ride is not that big of a deal, plus there is a bus route that goes between these towns. My question therefore is, will I regret this at some point and how will it play out logistically? Also I guess another downside is that I will be miles away from anybody at the university as most likely everybody will have got accommodation in the university city/town itself.

yeah but then you may gett sick and not be able to ride bicycle, you may get bus sick or the bus may stop working. So i think you need to get accom in the uni town itself
Reply 2
Original post by justlearning1469
yeah but then you may gett sick and not be able to ride bicycle, you may get bus sick or the bus may stop working. So i think you need to get accom in the uni town itself

Thanks, I thought so too. The 15 mile journey will feel like 50 miles eventually

Hi @Bo77 Tman

Is this your first year of uni? As I feel it would maybe be nice to be a little closer to the uni if it is... Have you looked into any housing groups on Facebook for your university, as lots of people will have signed housing contracts and then change their minds so will need people to take over their tenancies. I would look into this as a potential option as I know for Edge Hill uni this is a massive thing and lots of people are still looking for people to fill their rooms you might even get yourself a bargain :smile:

You could also speak to your universities accommodation team to see if they can offer you any advice or support.

If not, it does sound like biking in would be okay for you and a good way to keep fit as well! I think either way will work out okay, so don't worry!

Good luck!
Katie - Third year Educational Psychology student
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by EdgeHillStudents
Hi @Bo77 Tman

Is this your first year of uni? As I feel it would maybe be nice to be a little closer to the uni if it is... Have you looked into any housing groups on Facebook for your university, as lots of people will have signed housing contracts and then change their minds so will need people to take over their tenancies. I would look into this as a potential option as I know for Edge Hill uni this is a massive thing and lots of people are still looking for people to fill their rooms you might even get yourself a bargain :smile:

You could also speak to your universities accommodation team to see if they can offer you any advice or support.

If not, it does sound like biking in would be okay for you and a good way to keep fit as well! I think either way will work out okay, so don't worry!

Good luck!
Katie - Third year Educational Psychology student

Thank you for the reply, yes I am a first year student so I guess that was part of the reason I was slightly apprehensive to carry out this idea, I will try and find some housing groups for my university. Thank you, that seems like the better option for now. If anything I can reevaluate in 2 weeks as I think the private accommodation will still be available.
@Bo77 Tman

Cycling or taking the bus could become a bit of a hassle and an additional stress.

It's nice to cycle to uni in the spring and summer, but we're heading into autumn! It won't be too long before the evenings are going to be getting dark early and when it will also be dark in the mornings. You might not feel so keen on cycling when it's dark, cold and miserable and when you then have to go and sit in a lecture room for the next two hours : (

Cycling or taking the bus might also prevent you attending things because of the bus timetable (which might not be so regular) or because you are too tired to cycle home after sports practice or a social event.

The extra expense for living in the city centre is frustrating, but the convenience in the long run will make things a lot easier for you, whether that's shopping, catching up with friends, long days at uni (and being able to go home in between lectures), being able to spend a long time in the library without worrying about the time, catching the train back to your parents' home for the weekend without having to cycle or bus to the city centre first or still getting to uni on time even when your alarm does not go off!

Living in the centre will help a lot!

See the extra money as an investment that will pay off with saved time and energy.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
One benefit of being in the city centre is that it will often be easy to find evening bar/restaurant/hotel/cleaning work close to your accommodation which will more than cover the difference in rent (as well as taking up less time than you'd have been spending on the bus).

As above though if you can it's worth seeing if you can find something on a short let or temporary let (or with good cancellation terms) as there's often rooms that come available in late Sept/October/November/December as people drop out and need someone to take over their tenancy. In some cases they'll happily hand over the room with the rent covered until January because that's better than being liable for the rent for the whole year.
Reply 7
I am a bit late for the accommodation and so my only current option is to either get expensive accommodation in the city centre of the university town, or get slightly cheaper private accommodation in a town about 15 or so miles away. I am a keen cyclist and so a 15 mile ride is not that big of a deal,

Before cycling that sort of distance, you should check whether your university provides changing/showering facilities for student cyclists, plus lockers, plus somewhere secure for your bike.
(edited 7 months ago)
Get the expensive halls in your uni town you’d miss out massively if you don’t you get loads of people commenting saying they don’t feel they missed out at all but they weren’t there they don’t know how much they missed out and although you’d still be moving out you still. E commuting (although not from home) and would be missing out as much as a commuter from home but with none of the benefits and there are a few but the pros of accommodation far out weigh them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending