The Student Room Group

symptom of derealisation/depersonalisation

Hi

Okay so I suffer with alot of anxiety (panic, ocd and depersonalisation/derealisation) and when I have episodes of dp one of the things that happens is I carry on talking in auto pilot sort of thing but my voice isnt me, it sounds like a completely different person! Ive done alot of research about my conditions and had cbt etc but I rarely come across people with this symptom. Does anyone else get this?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hi

Okay so I suffer with alot of anxiety (panic, ocd and depersonalisation/derealisation) and when I have episodes of dp one of the things that happens is I carry on talking in auto pilot sort of thing but my voice isnt me, it sounds like a completely different person! Ive done alot of research about my conditions and had cbt etc but I rarely come across people with this symptom. Does anyone else get this?

Yes. I have Depersonalisation Disorder. Being on "auto pilot" is a very good way to describe it, it's like I'm going through the motions of an ordinary life but not really thinking about anything I do. I wouldn't say my voice seems like a different person, it just sounds really far off and unimportant. The whole world seems detached and strange...

How long have you had this for? For me it started about 7 years ago. It doesn't seem to be related to anxiety or depression or anything, it's just a continual feeling...
Hi

I have BPD and one of my symptoms is dissociation (including memory loss, depersonalisation and derealisation). I get the whole not recognising my voice thing - I keep talking but it just doesn't sound like me, its like I'm trapped in a body which isn't mine. I also find it hard to recognise myself in the mirror, it looks like someone different!
Reply 3
Original post by bullettheory
I have BPD and one of my symptoms is dissociation (including memory loss, depersonalisation and derealisation). I get the whole not recognising my voice thing - I keep talking but it just doesn't sound like me, its like I'm trapped in a body which isn't mine. I also find it hard to recognise myself in the mirror, it looks like someone different!

Thats exactly my symptoms. Its like im looking at myself from a different persons view sometimes. And i get the whole not recognising yourself too! I thought i was the only one haha. Do you have any treatment for it?
Reply 4
Yes. I have Depersonalisation Disorder. Being on "auto pilot" is a very good way to describe it, it's like I'm going through the motions of an ordinary life but not really thinking about anything I do. I wouldn't say my voice seems like a different person, it just sounds really far off and unimportant. The whole world seems detached and strange...

How long have you had this for? For me it started about 7 years ago. It doesn't seem to be related to anxiety or depression or anything, it's just a continual feeling...

I've had anxiety issues 11 years but the depersonalisation came on about 2 years ago. Seems to develop more when im stressed or tired. I dont have it continual though, it ramdomly comes on every so often. Sometimes I can go a day without it but sometimes its happening every 10 minutes or so.
Thats exactly my symptoms. Its like im looking at myself from a different persons view sometimes. And i get the whole not recognising yourself too! I thought i was the only one haha. Do you have any treatment for it?

Yeah it's really weird where it feels like you are looking at yourself from outside you, like you are part of a film and you are watching you on the screen. I promise you are not alone with this! I am in DBT which is a type of therapy. Its for my BPD but its meant to help with dissociation too. I also take an anti psychotic which can help with my dissociation at times
Reply 6
Hi

yes this is exactly what i have and although there are online communities i still didnt feel like anyone else had this! ive had mine for about 3 or 4 years now...im wondering if it will ever go! it gets worse when im tired and stressed and feels like auto pilot
Reply 7
Lately it's been happening more frequently, I dont know why. Its really bothering me. Thanks for all your replies :smile:
Reply 8
Lately it's been happening more frequently, I dont know why. Its really bothering me. Thanks for all your replies :smile:

exam stress? i also find if i focus on it too much it gets worse so its like a negative cycle
Reply 9
Actually thinking about it its probably money stress!!! Guess I've just got to calm down a bit!
Hi, i get anxiety and this too.

I get the mirror thing sometimes and the voice thing! You are certainly not alone x
Reply 11
it can be so frustrating at times...i wish it was more well known so someone might find a cure for it
I get derealisation a far bit, I hate it because I knows its a sign that things aren't right in my mental health. Unfortunately its very common and I tend to find that I need to take control with things inside my head before apathy and the 'slowness' kicks in. I find concentrating on my breathing, going to my 'happy place' and smiling at people helps alot.
I've suffered from depression for about 6 years now and it has been discussed with Drs that I may have BPD and anxiety disorder. I recently heard of dissociation and it's symptoms and a lot of them sounded so familiar to me... I imagine its more DR than DP, I've not experienced the 'feeling like you're in a movie' but very frequently I will go into a trance like "hypnotic" state where it is possible for me to stare at the wall for hours on end with the same song on repeat and not notice time pass. The feeling I get (and this will sound odd) is like my brain is numb but mind is in a trance, my body will feel like it melting or sliding away. This will happen, depending on what depressive state I am in, almost every night. I know there's more to it when it happens but once I'm out of the state it's like I completely forget it, like I've been brainwashed not to remember or that it wasn't actually MY thoughts at the time.

Could anyone tell me what they think, and if this sounds like I could possibly be experiencing DR/DP? This has been happening for years but I've only just become aware of dissociation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
dudes
dr and dp are symptoms, anxiety is the cause
also focusing on your dp and reading interent sites and **** amke it way worse,
I got it from drugs for a while, dont worry it goes when the anxiety goes
Reply 15
id say i have DP and i have the whole brain feeling numb...cant say my body feels like its sliding away but sometimes it feels like my arms arent mine? like im watching my body from third person. sometimes i feel like i could just stare at the wall for hours and not feel anything but i definitely have the wondering about my thoughts and which are mine. i sometimes get depressed but it comes and goes and i know when its there so i luckily dont act on it (comes with suicidal thoughts alot). when im tired its a lot worse, so late at night especially when im stressed and hormonal i dissociate more and get more wound up because i feel like im not myself. i sometimes wonder if i have a mix of BPD and other disorders but its definitely primarily anxiety and i just have to try not to focus on it otherwise when i spend a lot of time in my own head i become really ****ed up...i hope that helps?
Reply 16
I've had these symptoms in the past. I haven't had them for over a year now though. I had 2 periods of these symptoms, and the second one was really long - pretty much the entire month before I came to university and then the first month of university. I kept getting these really weird panic attacks where I wasn't myself and I felt like I was in some weird body.. almost as if I was split into two people? I was my consciousness and then the rest of me (body, voice, other thoughts) were something else. I don't actually know how to explain it that well but does this sound like the symptoms any of you experienced? I'd just get this sudden feeling and then I'd start having a panic attack and I'd usually go on fb and start chatting someone to get out of the feeling because it was so scary.. sort of to try to bring me back to reality. And then I had to move into my friend's room for the full first month of uni..we were both sleeping on a single bed. Then as I got immersed in uni life and work and stuff I just stopped having the thoughts, and I've had one panic attack since.

I get that when I've done MDMA, scares the **** out of me
I used to have this really badly when I went through 'extreme' anxiety, when I was around 15-16.

It's probably one of the most scariest feelings I have ever felt in my whole life, I seemed to suffer more from the derealisation than depersonalisation.

I was told that it is a defence mechanism that your brain initiates when you are under a lot of stress or anxiety. The problem is though that when you have anxiety you seem to panic over the feelings of it or become obsessed with them and it honestly feels like you're going crazy, which just causes them to become worse and before you know it you're kind of stuck in this obsessive unreality type place.

This happened to me when I was having a hard time, I had been told I had 'pure-o' which is basically OCD, this caused me to have some major panic attacks, which then caused the feelings of unreality and those feelings stuck around for a good year and a half.

I would have very strange thoughts that went along the lines of ''why am I me?'', ''Is this real?'' and even worse ones than that but they were very philosophical and deep and would cause me to panic. I would also feel like nothing was real or that I was doing everything in 3rd person like I wasn't actually me, it was really scary, kind of felt like a permanent bad drug trip.

The only thing that helped me to get rid of this feeling was as soon as I felt that way or if I found myself ruminating over these feeling or thoughts I would do something, literally anything, just to get myself out of my head and back down to Earth. At first it was hard but over time it became easier and in the end it went away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMkEMudcrB8
(edited 9 years ago)
My thoughts that trigger this 'dream/drug' like feeling come on so quickly. Sometimes it's over silly things like, I might be late for my bus :/

Quick Reply

Latest