The Student Room Group

In university, contemplating direction switch.

Hi all, new here to TSR and I'm looking for some advice.

I'm 18 years old, studying my second year in software engineering at Linnaeus University in Sweden. At current I work a part-time job as programmer, it's quite on and off depending on whether there are any projects available for me to work on.

Prior to beginning undergraduate studies I was an International Baccalaureate student, I did decently on most of my studies and although scores weren't outstanding, I still think I did fairly well.
But ever since I've started studying at university, I've found myself increasingly lacking motivation. I come from a fairly tech-oriented family (father worked in IT for 20+ years, mother also dipped in hardware tech for a few years) and grew up with computers, they're second nature to me and logically I thought that computer engineering/software would suit me perfectly. However, somehow the courses seem completely uninteresting to me and I have lost interest in it so much that it's work to just get myself out of bed to get to a lecture (have a 50 min commute to uni everyday).

Here is where I need advice, being in my second year now I think it'd be a waste to simply change direction, but I'm not sure either on whether another year of studying this would beneficial to me in any way. I could possibly start anew after finishing this program and study in another area, but would that take too long? How long do you guys intend to study for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending