The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Advice needed please!

Hi guys, I am currently studying International Hospitality and Tourism Management at the University of Surrey. I really don’t like it and don’t think I will work within the industry (and the wider business industry if I can avoid it). The subject I really want to study is psychology, and my end goal would be to work within the sector, as some sort of counsellor probably. I actually really wanted to apply for psych instead when it came to applying for unis through UCAS back in year 13, but because I knew it was such a competitive course I didn’t bother trying, but now I really regret this decision. My a level grades are ABC, but the entry requirements for the psychology course is ABB so I am one grade off. Not sure if they are lenient or not. Surrey also offers a mental health nursing course, but the entry requirements for that is BBC so I meet the criteria for that. Also with mental health nursing I can study a masters in counselling as well which would be ideal. But I am aware that a nursing course is extremely mentally and physically draining and I’m not entirely sure if I’m up for that, but I’ve always expressed interest in potentially becoming a nurse so I know that I’d be able to push through. If I do end up sticking with IHTM I’ll probably apply for a master’s conversion course when I graduate from my UG course. Should I switch or stick?? This is super urgent as the last day my uni will accept changing courses is 6/10!! Any sort of advice is needed! Thank you so much!! 🤍🤍
(edited 7 months ago)
Change, no point wasting your time (and money) doing a course you are not interested in.
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Hi there!

Sounds like you are not enjoying your current course so I believe there is no point for you to continue studying it.

Although, you are right, Psychology is a competitive course and it's great that you researched your alternatives. But do you know if your university is offering clearing? It allows you to apply outsite the normal application window so even though you don't meet the entry requirements, maybe through clearing they'll accept your application.

I hope I managed to help!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep
Reply 3
Have you only just started the course at Surrey?
Have you asked about switching courses there?
Original post by acrylicsunlight
Hi guys, I am currently studying International Hospitality and Tourism Management at the University of Surrey. I really don’t like it and don’t think I will work within the industry (and the wider business industry if I can avoid it). The subject I really want to study is psychology, and my end goal would be to work within the sector, as some sort of counsellor probably. I actually really wanted to apply for psych instead when it came to applying for unis through UCAS back in year 13, but because I knew it was such a competitive course I didn’t bother trying, but now I really regret this decision. My a level grades are ABC, but the entry requirements for the psychology course is ABB so I am one grade off. Not sure if they are lenient or not. Surrey also offers a mental health nursing course, but the entry requirements for that is BBC so I meet the criteria for that. Also with mental health nursing I can study a masters in counselling as well which would be ideal. But I am aware that a nursing course is extremely mentally and physically draining and I’m not entirely sure if I’m up for that, but I’ve always expressed interest in potentially becoming a nurse so I know that I’d be able to push through. If I do end up sticking with IHTM I’ll probably apply for a master’s conversion course when I graduate from my UG course. Should I switch or stick?? This is super urgent as the last day my uni will accept changing courses is 6/10!! Any sort of advice is needed! Thank you so much!! 🤍🤍

Sociology is another option that could would develop skills useful for counselling - it's still in clearing on Surrey's website.
Hi @acrylicsunlight!

You can find the contact for the Admissions Team here. Please contact them to see what can be done!

I agree with previous advice to switch courses, as I'm sure doing a course you don't enjoy can be a long ride!

I wish you luck!

Marko
Accounting and Finance BSc
Original post by acrylicsunlight

Hello!

I completed my undergraduate degree at the University of Surrey in Modern Languages (French and Spanish). Currently, I'm pursuing a Master's degree in Psychology as a conversion course at Surrey.

It's great that you're recognising the need to explore your academic path and ensure it aligns with your interests. I personally believe that studying something you're passionate about is the most important. Changing courses isn't uncommon, so don't worry!

Personally, I initially chose my undergraduate program out of interest, and it turned out to be a valuable experience, equipping me with transferable skills and helping me discover my passion for supporting others.

I have friends who transitioned from psychology to mental health nursing. It's demanding due to the required placements each year, but it can also be incredibly rewarding if you're dedicated.

If you're already contemplating a switch, it might indeed be a sign that you should explore other options. When I was uncertain about applying for the conversion course, I reached out to the faculty to schedule a meeting and discuss its suitability for my goals. I was completely honest about my thoughts and feelings around studying the course.

Counseling is a separate qualification, but psychology/mental health nursing skills can certainly help. I recommend having conversations with your lecturers and, if it feels like the right move for you, go for it!

Best of luck, and feel free to reach out if you have any specific questions.

Thanks,
Sam (She/her)
MSc Psychology

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending