The Student Room Group

Anyone else feel that modern society too over sexualised?

Everything nowadays seems to be so sexualised, mainly for young girls. I personally think it's such a shame, I'm a guy but even i can see that things have gone a bit too far. If only things were like they were a few decades ago, nothing is sacred or private anymore.

In fashion especially. Everywhere you look there are girls in see through leggings, shorts that look more like pants (and reveal just as much), dresses that come up to their waists and even bikinis that leave absolutely nothing to the imagination. It really is sick, and because it's built into modern society it's accepted as being the norm and is even fashionable. Makes me thankful I'm a guy! A guy clearly born in the wrong era haha!

Does anyone else share the same views? Please share your thoughts and feelings on this, I've always been curious to see what other people think about this.

Scroll to see replies

Kids grow up too fast.
Reply 2
Reply 3
Yeah I agree that things have too much emphasis on sexual aspects now. Too many celebrities are setting a bad example though to the younger generation, for fashion to change they will have to do so also.
Original post by chelseafan
Kids grow up too fast.

Sad but true. But it's hard to expect anything else, again down to society. Have you seen the content of young girls magazines (ages 10+) All about make up, boys, fashion etc. Surrounded by these images and influences constantly it's no wonder things have gotten so out of hand.
Original post by Fides
Yeah I agree that things have too much emphasis on sexual aspects now. Too many celebrities are setting a bad example though to the younger generation, for fashion to change they will have to do so also.

I agree, but at the rate things are going things are just going to get a whole lot worse. Fashion is just getting more and more skimpy, and younger and younger people are wearing such fashion. Anyone that doesn't conform is seen as an outcast.
Yup.

Original post by Hunter38
I agree, but at the rate things are going things are just going to get a whole lot worse. Fashion is just getting more and more skimpy, and younger and younger people are wearing such fashion. Anyone that doesn't conform is seen as an outcast.

Exactly. I always see young girls all dressed up in skimpy clothes. It's scary, and it's made worse by the fact that if you don't do it, people judge you and don't want anything to do with you. So anyone would tries to go against the trend gets made an outcast which makes everyone else feel like they have to conform.

As a girl, I think it's really sad. Boys have it so much easier (I'm not saying they don't have pressure, but nothing to the level that girls have it, imo).
Reply 7
Original post by lonelyknight

As a girl, I think it's really sad. Boys have it so much easier (I'm not saying they don't have pressure, but nothing to the level that girls have it, imo).

Jeans, shirt and hoodie.

No pressure whatsoever lol
Reply 8
Everything nowadays seems to be so sexualised, mainly for young girls. I personally think it's such a shame, I'm a guy but even i can see that things have gone a bit too far. If only things were like they were a few decades ago, nothing is sacred or private anymore.

In fashion especially. Everywhere you look there are girls in see through leggings, shorts that look more like pants (and reveal just as much), dresses that come up to their waists and even bikinis that leave absolutely nothing to the imagination. It really is sick, and because it's built into modern society it's accepted as being the norm and is even fashionable. Makes me thankful I'm a guy! A guy clearly born in the wrong era haha!

Does anyone else share the same views? Please share your thoughts and feelings on this, I've always been curious to see what other people think about this.

Yep and if you're a dad, and you don't want your teenage daughter who is 13 dressing like a street walker you'll be decried as an oppressor who is holding down his daughter!
Original post by lonelyknight
Yup.

Exactly. I always see young girls all dressed up in skimpy clothes. It's scary, and it's made worse by the fact that if you don't do it, people judge you and don't want anything to do with you. So anyone would tries to go against the trend gets made an outcast which makes everyone else feel like they have to conform.

You're right though, us guys have it so much easier than girls. Girls fashion is changing so fast I can't keep up, and yet I can wear a pair of jeans from 2 years ago and a t shirt and I still look fairly fashionable.

This is the reason I have always liked te understated girls, te ones who don't wear skimpy skirts or tops because it's "fashionable" The girls who are down to earth. My girlfriend in a nutshell haha!

That said, even she has fallen victim to society's "norm" She is perfectly happy to walk around in a bikini showing all her assets, but (and she has said this to me), if she doesn't have make up on then she feels naked! This is a prime example of how screwed up our modern world's morals are.
Reply 10
It's a bit unnerving to see 14 year olds who have the same fashion sense as 19 year olds. That isn't right and I'm not sure I'd be happy if I had a daughter.
Original post by Elipsis
Yep and if you're a dad, and you don't want your teenage daughter who is 13 dressing like a street walker you'll be decried as an oppressor who is holding down his daughter!

Funnily enough, this is one of the reasons why I'd be scared to be a father to a child in this era. I cannot begin to imagine how difficult it would be. If I had a 13 year old daughter trying to leave te house in leggings or miniskirts etc I would go ape! It makes me sick seeing other young girls dressed in such a way, god forbid if she wad my own child. I think I would definitely be the overbearing father haha! For the record, I wouldn't see you as being an oppressor, just a caring dad.
Reply 12
It is sad.
My brother is 15 and his female friends wear like hotpants shorts with their arses hanging out and loads of makeup, wheras my brother can barely dress himself...

Mind you I don't think anyone should wear shorts like that when public nudity is banned >.<
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ch0llima
It's a bit unnerving to see 14 year olds who have the same fashion sense as 19 year olds. That isn't right and I'm not sure I'd be happy if I had a daughter.

I would say that even 19 year olds dress far too revealing. It doesnt matter what age, it's all the same fashion and all way too revealing. The sad thing is its reaching down to younger and younger girls.
Original post by redferry
It is sad.
My brother is 15 and his female friends wear like hotpants shorts with their arses hanging out and loads of makeup, wheras my brother can barely dress himself...

Mind you I don't think anyone should wear shots like that when public nudity is banned >.<

If fashionable clothing gets much more revealing, public nudity WILL be the fashion haha!
Reply 16
If fashionable clothing gets much more revealing, public nudity WILL be the fashion haha!

I guess that would really de-sexualise society though, I mean have you even been to a nudist beach?
If everyone was always naked I guess it wouldn't be sexy any more!
Reply 17
nope
Reply 18

I agree with this. Sexual liberation is a wonderful thing that we should be grateful for. However it comes with corporations being able to use sex to sell their products which I think is a reason for over-sexualisation, especially of young people, and unrealistic sexual aspirations such as DD breasts and size 8 jeans, or a 10" penis :mad:
Reply 19
Part of the problem lies when people aspire to be like these "celebs"....it amazes me why some of them are considered role models.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending