The Student Room Group
The books are probably 'wrong' if they are A-level ones. The sodium potassium pump does not really contribute to the RP of neurones that much.
Resting potential is the potential when there isn't an action potential propagating; this is established by high concentration gradient and high permeabliity of the cell membrane of the axon to K+, K+ moves out.

Depolarisation occurs, by sodium entry, and this causes an electric potential difference across the membrane, to which sodium-channels are sensitive. At a threshold more sodium comes into the cell causing an action potential.
Reply 2
Voila - as simple as I can
Reply 3
Right in simple terms: (I'm typing this up as it helps my revision too :smile:: )

Resting Potential
- 3 NA+ is actively pumped out, and 2 K+ is pumped in by the Sodium Potassium pump.
- Also, the membrane of the axon is more 'leaky' to K+ than Na+, so K+ moves out faster, causing a membrane potential of -65mV. This basically means, that the inside of the membrane is 65 mV more negative, than the outside.

Action Potential
- a nerve impulse arrives, which causes Na+ channels to open. This causes an influx of Na+, depolarising the membrane. This causes the action potential.
- Na+ depolarises till +40mV, and the Na+ channels then close.
- K+ channels will now open, causing an outflux of K+, repolarising the membrane.
-The Membrane repolarises so much, that it actually increases by more than the original value (-65mV)
-The k+ channels will close, and the Sodium Potassium pump will restore the resting potential.

Latest

Trending

Trending