The Student Room Group

Flatmates not putting bins out

Where i am we have a cleaner but it’s our job to do the bins. Initially someone made a bin rota but it was quickly thrown out the window and people just did it whenever needed. It was originally three of us who did it since the rest just didn’t bother but i noticed now that i’m the only one who is doing it.
I decided to be petty and just simply not bother because i’m not about to be the one who deals with everyone’s **** so i let the bins get full.
Instead of my flatmates walking a minute outside our house to throw them away, they bagged them up and set them aside for a whole day till i got ****ed and just threw them out.
I know that’s likely not helped but the issue is if we don’t do it we get a ten pound fine everytime and i would rather not. It’s also worth mentioning we don’t really all talk to eachother that well there isn’t a group chat or nothing. I considered leaving a nasty message and calling them lazy but i don’t think that would make them do anything. They already leave wrappers and food everywhere, i feel bad for the cleaner sometimes to the point i’ll clean up the night before she does her job out of embarrassment.
So i don’t know if i should just be the bigger person and put up with being the one to throw away the bins constantly till i move out next year or just go on a little strike and not do the bins to prove a point and potentially get fined.
Original post by mirai_e
Where i am we have a cleaner but it’s our job to do the bins. Initially someone made a bin rota but it was quickly thrown out the window and people just did it whenever needed. It was originally three of us who did it since the rest just didn’t bother but i noticed now that i’m the only one who is doing it.
I decided to be petty and just simply not bother because i’m not about to be the one who deals with everyone’s **** so i let the bins get full.
Instead of my flatmates walking a minute outside our house to throw them away, they bagged them up and set them aside for a whole day till i got ****ed and just threw them out.
I know that’s likely not helped but the issue is if we don’t do it we get a ten pound fine everytime and i would rather not. It’s also worth mentioning we don’t really all talk to eachother that well there isn’t a group chat or nothing. I considered leaving a nasty message and calling them lazy but i don’t think that would make them do anything. They already leave wrappers and food everywhere, i feel bad for the cleaner sometimes to the point i’ll clean up the night before she does her job out of embarrassment.
So i don’t know if i should just be the bigger person and put up with being the one to throw away the bins constantly till i move out next year or just go on a little strike and not do the bins to prove a point and potentially get fined.

Her @mirai_e This sounds really frustrating! I'd feel the same. I think you're right in saying that leaving a note probably wouldn't bring much action from your flatmates. They might not even read it or notice if they're deliberately ignoring the state of the bin as it is 🤦

You say you don't have a whatsapp group yet - why don't you try creating one to try and get everyone on the same page? You could just send a nice but firm message saying that you've noticed some of the chores are being forgotten and that it would be great to all share them all equally. A group chat would also let you/anyone else send reminders if the bins get left too long. Rotas and chore charts are good but I find eventually people just forget to check them - group chats are a bit more 'in real time' and better for holding people accountable. Maybe you can all come to an agreement that if the bins aren't emptied then whoever's turn it was to do it that week is responsible for the fine?

I'd say try tackling it in a friendly tone first. You might unfortunately need to stay on top of things in the group chat (reminding people when it's their turn) but it's better to be on good terms with your flatmates. And there's definitely no sense in paying the fine when it's a very simple task that needs done by all adults!

Caitlin 🎓️
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending