The Student Room Group

A level classical civilisation world of hero 2023

Hi,

So the first exam for a level classical civilisation OCR is in 27 days. I want to know what you guys predict the 30 marker and 20 marker will be on. I think the 30 marker will be on a theme that is not women because they asked that last year. Also is there an exam thread for this classics a level 2023

Scroll to see replies

Hey, my teacher seems to think a question will be on Telemachus, not sure though.
Good shout but maybe for the 10 markers on Telemachus, but there is not much you can say abt him. Also is there an exam thread for this paper
I'm not sure about the thread, I have only just joined this website lmao. I have just been revising all of the major themes, if you need any help with revision resources then I can send you some:smile:
Thank you!!! Is it possible if you can send me the major themes? Please can u do this by private message. Thank you
Original post by danielle.b04
I'm not sure about the thread, I have only just joined this website lmao. I have just been revising all of the major themes, if you need any help with revision resources then I can send you some:smile:

Hiii please can you send me these notesss
they are for the aeneid as my oddysey ones are handwritten, im yet to transfer them. is that okay?
they are for the aeneid as my oddysey ones are handwritten, im yet to transfer them. is that okay?

That's completely fine! Please do send the Aeneid notes and it would be extremely helpful if you could send the Odyssey notes once transferred. I'm running late on time and need to start exam practice. Thank you ever so much, you're a life saver! :smile:

That's okay, please send this to me!
Okay I’ll send you both then either later or tomorrow, whenever it will let me send pms because I have to wait three days as I’ve only recently made my account! As soon as I can I’ll send you both them!
Could you send them to me too? Thanks!

Okay I’ll send you both then either later or tomorrow, whenever it will let me send pms because I have to wait three days as I’ve only recently made my account! As soon as I can I’ll send you both them!

Thank you so much !!!
Reply 12
Original post by justhereiguess
Thank you so much !!!

Any more predictions for the 20 markers or 30 markers?
Odyssey and Aeneid
Does anyone have notes on similes, speeches and literary techniques in the Aeneid and the Odyssey? I'm worried a question might come up and don't know what to use
Original post by Athenianowl
Does anyone have notes on similes, speeches and literary techniques in the Aeneid and the Odyssey? I'm worried a question might come up and don't know what to use

Hi. If we are looking at the main characters (considering how broad of a question you asked)

For the Odyssey, towards the end of the epic (Eurycleia notes) that Odysseus has the likeness of a lion. There's also a mountain lion simile in Book 6 (when approaching Nausicaa and her maids). It shows his power and predatory nature, he is always the one with dominant power - he knows this too, which is why he supplicates to Nausicaa in the most respectable way possible. As well, noting the dream that Penelope has contributes to this, as Odysseus is meant to be the eagle (apex predator) it's merely zoomorphism of his character and its used as a metaphor for his takedown of the suitors (the geese - weak, low on the hierarchy).

As well, in the Aeneid you can see rage and fury being a motif, recurring when Aeneas and Turnus get angry. Turnus is repeatedly described in a simile as a 'wolf' stalking sheep/prey. Aeneas is repetitively given his epithet 'pious Aeneas' and 'Father Aeneas' (These are good to note as well if you want to look into character analysis, gives an adjective summarising the character in that moment - epithets are brief and easy to remember).

Again in the Odyssey, there are many similes presenting Odysseus' grief and relief when facing trials and altercations. In Book 5 when he spots land for the first time in 3 days of sailing: He feels like a man on the verge of death with a long-lasting illness that suddenly passes and he knows he will live. The sheer relief is vivid as he avoided death and potential unrest if he did die at sea (he would remain unburied). He quite literally got away with his life.

But if i'm being completely honest, you may not remember the exact quote but if you remember what happened you can describe it and insert a literary device (e.g. hyperbole, repetition - something to get easy marks). I'd recommend quickly skimming over the books again and if you highlighted any literary devices then try to remember those.

(IMPORTANT: For the Aeneid you can remember dramatic irony and foreshadowing considering how it is a propaganda piece written for Augustus to commemorate the glory and origins of Rome.)
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by WisdomOfAthena
Hi. If we are looking at the main characters (considering how broad of a question you asked)

For the Odyssey, towards the end of the epic (Eurycleia notes) that Odysseus has the likeness of a lion. There's also a mountain lion simile in Book 6 (when approaching Nausicaa and her maids). It shows his power and predatory nature, he is always the one with dominant power - he knows this too, which is why he supplicates to Nausicaa in the most respectable way possible. As well, noting the dream that Penelope has contributes to this, as Odysseus is meant to be the eagle (apex predator) it's merely zoomorphism of his character and its used as a metaphor for his takedown of the suitors (the geese - weak, low on the hierarchy).

As well, in the Aeneid you can see rage and fury being a motif, recurring when Aeneas and Turnus get angry. Turnus is repeatedly described in a simile as a 'wolf' stalking sheep/prey. Aeneas is repetitively given his epithet 'pious Aeneas' and 'Father Aeneas' (These are good to note as well if you want to look into character analysis, gives an adjective summarising the character in that moment - epithets are brief and easy to remember).

Again in the Odyssey, there are many similes presenting Odysseus' grief and relief when facing trials and altercations. In Book 5 when he spots land for the first time in 3 days of sailing: He feels like a man on the verge of death with a long-lasting illness that suddenly passes and he knows he will live. The sheer relief is vivid as he avoided death and potential unrest if he did die at sea (he would remain unburied). He quite literally got away with his life.

But if i'm being completely honest, you may not remember the exact quote but if you remember what happened you can describe it and insert a literary device (e.g. hyperbole, repetition - something to get easy marks). I'd recommend quickly skimming over the books again and if you highlighted any literary devices then try to remember those.

(IMPORTANT: For the Aeneid you can remember dramatic irony and foreshadowing considering how it is a propaganda piece written for Augustus to commemorate the glory and origins of Rome.)

Thank you!!
np! <3
Original post by Athenianowl
Thank you!!
hey how did we all think the exam went? I personally think it went a lot better than I anticipated and I did the Aeneid 30 marker, I thought it was a lot easier than the Odyssey one!
Reply 18
Omg I hated the 20 mark Odyssey one ):
Also the Aeneid 30 marker was kinda difficult
I hated the Aeneid 20, loved the Odyssey 20. I did the Aeneid 30

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending