The Student Room Group

Need advice on studying neuroscience

Hi, I'm interested to study neuroscience in university but need to clarify certain things.

Firstly, is neuroscience considered an undergraduate course or graduate course? some schools seem to offer it solely as a graduate course, perhaps because they expect the student to develop a proper foundation.
So, perhaps i should ask: is it better to enter uni to study neuroscience at the undergraduate level or is it better to enter another course, before continuing to graduate school to study neuroscience?
If it is better to study another course, what course should I study?

What are the best universities for neuroscience?

Really need help on this. Thanks peeps:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Can't really help you about the course as I am only in year 11. But I want to study Neuroscience at Uni.

About the best universities for Neuroscience, I would have to say that UCL is on of the best in the world. But Bristol and Manchester also have a strong neuro position.
Sorry to restart this but I would love to know some answers as well
Hi,
I'm applying for Neuroscience undergrad. I did a lot of research into it and it really depends what you want to do after your degree- I'm going to go on and do my masters, then do a pHD in something related and work my way up in research. If you wanted to do a different degree then a grad course, I would suggest either biochemistry or biomedical science, molecular science or something similar. Possibly even pharmaceutical.
In the UK, undoubtebly the best is UCL.
A few other very good universities are: Manchester, Bristol, Nottingham, St. Andrews, Leeds, Sussex, King's College
(It's hard finding rankings for this course!)

I think UCL is the 2nd best worldwide, majority others are American. Abroad it's very hard to find a bachelor neuroscience course (I haven't found one in europe) so there a grad course after would be better.

Hope this helps!
Reply 4
Original post by liyuan
Hi, I'm interested to study neuroscience in university but need to clarify certain things.

Firstly, is neuroscience considered an undergraduate course or graduate course? some schools seem to offer it solely as a graduate course, perhaps because they expect the student to develop a proper foundation.
So, perhaps i should ask: is it better to enter uni to study neuroscience at the undergraduate level or is it better to enter another course, before continuing to graduate school to study neuroscience?
If it is better to study another course, what course should I study?

What are the best universities for neuroscience?

Really need help on this. Thanks peeps:smile:

I would say; that combination of your and abbiemac together is an answer. In other European countries in general the medicine studies is usually the foundation and those who want to do research in the field of neuroscience they upgrade to PhD.

As you already got the answer from abbiemac; the question is what you want to do after an undergraduate degree. If you want to be a doctor MD then I would recommend trying medical school and upgrade. Otherwise, take her path bachelor masters PhD and choose where you want to stop your education. Path one; medical schools in the rest of Europe entry level are direct masters-MD and then PhD in Neuroscience.

At the end, try comparing course curriculums for better overview: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/biomedicalscience/bsc-neuroscience.aspx,https://www.ucl.ac.uk/biosciences/degree-programmes/prospectivestudents/neuroscience,http://www.medical.uns.ac.rs/userfiles/file/Dubravka/Engish%20Studies/Programs/Medicine.pdf from tsr thread
(edited 10 years ago)
Yep, it's found as both under+postgraduate studies, studying neuroscience at Bristol is actually one of my choices, but I think to get a neuroscience place you need to be properly prepared and dedicated.

For instance, 1 out of 8 applicants to study neuroscience undergraduate at UCL gets a place so it's quite VERY competitive xD but it all depends on the uni

Just read some books, one of my suggestions are "The man who mistook his wife for a hat" by Oliver Sacks [http://www.amazon.co.uk/Man-Who-Mistook-His-Wife/dp/0330523627]

Good luck x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending