The Student Room Group

Want to do cognitive science, uncertain about my A levels.

Hello, I am in year 10. I have been planning on doing something related to cognitive sciences (neuroscience, psychology, that of the sort.) The problem is, I am horrid at math (67%.) I was planning on doing A level Chemistry, Biology, Psychology, and Literature, and I can't imagine switching any of them for math. I don't really know if I want to study somewhere besides the UK, and trying to find what universities would want exactly is really hard for me. I just need this advice: How do I properly search for what uni's want? Will I need A level math? Are my A level choices even worth it?
Original post by amaahda
Hello, I am in year 10. I have been planning on doing something related to cognitive sciences (neuroscience, psychology, that of the sort.) The problem is, I am horrid at math (67%.) I was planning on doing A level Chemistry, Biology, Psychology, and Literature, and I can't imagine switching any of them for math. I don't really know if I want to study somewhere besides the UK, and trying to find what universities would want exactly is really hard for me. I just need this advice: How do I properly search for what uni's want? Will I need A level math? Are my A level choices even worth it?

You could do some research specific to the subject you want to do: in your case, surrounding cognitive science/psych/etc, and usually there are tables that show you which universities are more advanced for certain subjects. You could look into the classic ones to get a basic idea, such as oxbridge, imperial college london, edinburgh university etc. and see what the general entry requirements are.

For a psych degree, usually you would need at least AS level/A level maths along with another science; and english + psych a levels do help. I think if you were to go for a psych degree, you could swap out one of chem or bio for maths or if you were to go to neuroscience, then perhaps swap out literature for maths.

I think the 4 you are considering are good choices and will definitely give you the skills you need if you were to go for a cognitive science related career - however definitely do some research into entry requirements of different universities to see what kind of subjects/grades they expect.

Maths at 67% isn't too bad either at GCSE level, you have lots of time to work on your grade! You can make a list of all the topics you're confident in and all the topics you're weak in and watch channels such as cognito or gcse maths tutor to study the weak topics then do lots of practice on maths genie or past papers. It might also help if you get a cgp revision guide or workbook (depending on whether you want to improve more on understanding the topics or if you want to practice more).
Reply 2
I have a BSc Psychology and MSc Cognitive Neuroscience. Never did maths beyond GCSE, had a B at GCSE. Did Biology/Psychology/English Literature at A-level (got AAB) and studied at 2 Russel Group universities, at least one of which was a top 100 (not sure about the other as it was a number of years ago so things may have changed). I can assure you, maths is not necessary.
Reply 3
Original post by amaahda

hi! I did a neuro degree at the uni of Nottingham and my a levels were maths, bio, and psychology. honestly you don't need maths to apply to this degree. if you're wanting a neuro or psychology degree, my advice would be just have at least two sciences. neuro doesn't need psychology, but obviously if that's what you enjoy then I'd do psychology, a science, and then something you enjoy (wether its another science or not). neuro and psychology will have elements of mostly biology, but surprisingly a bit of physics and chemistry in too.

Quick Reply

Latest