The Student Room Group

Enquiry about swapping courses

Hi, my name is Amelie Burgess and I have been accepted at Nottingham University to do Hispanic Studies. I am forever grateful that I got a place but now during my gap year I am starting to get second thoughts about the course. I would love to make an enquiry about possibly switching to Neuroscience because this is something I am truly passionate about and I know I would enjoy it much more. However the problem is that my A levels did not quite go as well as I had hoped, and I did not study biology. I know this makes me under qualified to study this subject, but I am willing to do whatever it takes to catch up on missing knowledge. I know this must be a very uncommon request given my circumstances but does anyone have any advice on what I should do ?
Would be super appreciated xx
Original post by millivanilli
Hi, my name is Amelie Burgess and I have been accepted at Nottingham University to do Hispanic Studies. I am forever grateful that I got a place but now during my gap year I am starting to get second thoughts about the course. I would love to make an enquiry about possibly switching to Neuroscience because this is something I am truly passionate about and I know I would enjoy it much more. However the problem is that my A levels did not quite go as well as I had hoped, and I did not study biology. I know this makes me under qualified to study this subject, but I am willing to do whatever it takes to catch up on missing knowledge. I know this must be a very uncommon request given my circumstances but does anyone have any advice on what I should do ?
Would be super appreciated xx

For Neuroscience at University of Nottingham, the required A level subjects are "Two science subjects, one of which must be biology/human biology and/or chemistry. Second science subject can be from biology, chemistry, electronics, geography, geology, human biology, maths, computer science, statistics, physics or psychology."

You've said that "did not study biology". Does that mean your A levels don't actually meet the subject requirements? What A level subjects do you have?

Nottingham's grade requirements for Neuroscience are AAB. You say "my A levels did not quite go as well as I had hoped". How far away from AAB are you?
Original post by DataVenia

For Neuroscience at University of Nottingham, the required A level subjects are "Two science subjects, one of which must be biology/human biology and/or chemistry. Second science subject can be from biology, chemistry, electronics, geography, geology, human biology, maths, computer science, statistics, physics or psychology."

You've said that "did not study biology". Does that mean your A levels don't actually meet the subject requirements? What A level subjects do you have?

Nottingham's grade requirements for Neuroscience are AAB. You say "my A levels did not quite go as well as I had hoped". How far away from AAB are you?

I got BBB and my a levels are psychology philosophy and Spanish

I think it may be more illuminating to consider why you did not want to study any of biology/chemistry/physics/maths to A-level, but now wish to study neuroscience at degree level.

Also it would be illuminating to know why you are having "second thoughts" about your original course choice.
Original post by artful_lounger

I think it may be more illuminating to consider why you did not want to study any of biology/chemistry/physics/maths to A-level, but now wish to study neuroscience at degree level.

Also it would be illuminating to know why you are having "second thoughts" about your original course choice.

Well we had a paper on neuroscience in our psychology criteria and I really enjoyed it.

Im having second thoughts because i don’t think I would enjoy the course upon further reflection.

Well we had a paper on neuroscience in our psychology criteria and I really enjoyed it.

Im having second thoughts because i don’t think I would enjoy the course upon further reflection.

Sorry that came across to sound rude and blunt- wasn’t meant to haha :wink: thx for replying

So you'll be asking to switch to a course where you don't meet the subject requirements ("Two science subjects, one of which must be biology/human biology and/or chemistry") and where you're two grades below the grade requirements. If you'd applied direct to Neuroscience it would have been an immediate rejection for not meeting the A level subject requirements - so they're not going to allow you to switch to that course. Sorry. :frown:

You're best bet, I'd have thought, is to ask to switch to Science with Foundation Year BSc (here), which has a grade requirement of BBB. The description of that course says, "Want to study a science degree, but you took the wrong A-Levels? This course is designed to give you all the knowledge you need to progress on to one of our science undergraduate courses. ... Unlike other universities, successful completion of your foundation year guarantees you progression on to your chosen undergraduate degree.*"

If you hit the "..." button to the right of the basic course details and then scroll down that panel it says, "We expect students to have an idea of the course they would like to progress on to before starting. You can progress onto a range of degrees, including:

Biology, Biochemistry, and Neuroscience Courses (Including Genetics and Zoology)
Sport and Exercise Science
Biosciences Degrees
Chemistry Degrees (excluding Chemistry and Molecular Physics)
Medical Physiology and Therapeutics
Pharmacy
Pharmaceutical Sciences
Pharmacology
Psychology
Cancer Sciences
Natural Sciences"

You said above that you're "willing to do whatever it takes to catch up on missing knowledge". Does that include a foundation year?

I think this didn't really answer what I was getting at - my point is that neuroscience isn't another "flavour" of psychology at degree level but is fully a science degree. Any psychology degree will include a certain amount of neuroscience material (some quite a lot in fact), but a neuroscience degree will focus a lot more on the fundamental science aspects - biochemistry, physiology, cell and developmental biology etc, with the chemistry and physics that supports those areas, and maths to describe the various phenomena, with associated labs and such. You really need to like and have an aptitude for the basic sciences for a neuroscience degree.

For the second question I really meant something a bit more specific. Why don't you think you will enjoy the course? Did you not like Spanish or language learning at A-level? Do you dislike essay writing? You seem to do well in those areas based on your results. Or are you just not interested specifically in the hispanophone world? As bear in mind if that's the case, there would be plenty of other courses where you can play to your strengths with a slightly different focus (e.g. other language/regional studies courses, other social science courses such as anthropology or politics, or humanities courses like philosophy or archaeology).

My points are that you didn't seem to do anything in your A-levels which indicated you actually like the kind of work done in a neuroscience, which seems like a bit of a red flag to dive into a degree which I think you may not have such a good idea of what it involves in the "day to day", and that you don't seem to have a very clear reason for why you're moving away from your original planned subject area which by all accounts, you were committed to through your A-level choices to some extent and did well in the related kinds of learning and assessment for that area (unlike neuroscience).
Original post by DataVenia

So you'll be asking to switch to a course where you don't meet the subject requirements ("Two science subjects, one of which must be biology/human biology and/or chemistry") and where you're two grades below the grade requirements. If you'd applied direct to Neuroscience it would have been an immediate rejection for not meeting the A level subject requirements - so they're not going to allow you to switch to that course. Sorry. :frown:

You're best bet, I'd have thought, is to ask to switch to Science with Foundation Year BSc (here), which has a grade requirement of BBB. The description of that course says, "Want to study a science degree, but you took the wrong A-Levels? This course is designed to give you all the knowledge you need to progress on to one of our science undergraduate courses. ... Unlike other universities, successful completion of your foundation year guarantees you progression on to your chosen undergraduate degree.*"

If you hit the "..." button to the right of the basic course details and then scroll down that panel it says, "We expect students to have an idea of the course they would like to progress on to before starting. You can progress onto a range of degrees, including:

Biology, Biochemistry, and Neuroscience Courses (Including Genetics and Zoology)
Sport and Exercise Science
Biosciences Degrees
Chemistry Degrees (excluding Chemistry and Molecular Physics)
Medical Physiology and Therapeutics
Pharmacy
Pharmaceutical Sciences
Pharmacology
Psychology
Cancer Sciences
Natural Sciences"

You said above that you're "willing to do whatever it takes to catch up on missing knowledge". Does that include a foundation year?

You are an absolute angel!! I had no idea about the foundation year option and it seems absolutely perfect for me! God bless you and thanks for helping me out x
Original post by millibanilli
You are an absolute angel!! I had no idea about the foundation year option and it seems absolutely perfect for me! God bless you and thanks for helping me out x

You're most welcome. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending