The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

OFFER: UCL or IC

Hello, I recently received another offer from Imperial College (IC) and I would greatly appreciate your help in sharing the options with everyone for their feedback.

The options are as follows:
1. IC: MRes in Biomedical Research
2. UCL: MSc in Neuroscience

Initially, I had applied to IC for the Experimental Neuroscience program. However, due to the intense competition, I was unfortunately rejected. Throughout my final year, I have been working closely with my supervisor on projects related to Neuroscience. I believe I am more familiar with this field and also find it more intriguing. Considering that Biomedical Research may be a more general field, I am torn between the two choices. Additionally, when considering the reputation of the universities and the research-based curriculum, IC seems to have the upper hand. I also have a small fantasy of pursuing a Ph.D., and I feel that an MRes program might give me a slight advantage over a taught program.

However, UCL's Neuroscience program is highly regarded, making it difficult for me to let go of the opportunity.

I kindly request your advice and suggestions on this matter. If any of you have relevant experiences or insights, please feel free to share them with me. Thank you in advance!

Scroll to see replies

I’m only just starting undergraduate studies in October, so I’m not exactly the most well-versed in choosing between postgrad courses.

Honestly, it sounds like you’ve answered your own question with “Throughout my final year, I have been working closely with my supervisor on projects related to Neuroscience. I believe I am more familiar with this field and also find it more intriguing.”

Regardless of which option you pick, both are highly regarded universities for research.

As such, I doubt IC having only a slight edge in any regard should sway your decision.

TLDR: Both unis are well regarded, but your offer from UCL sounds like it may be a better fit.

Original post by Mrlevineee
Hello, I recently received another offer from Imperial College (IC) and I would greatly appreciate your help in sharing the options with everyone for their feedback.

Initially, I had applied to IC for the Experimental Neuroscience program. However, due to the intense competition, I was unfortunately rejected. Throughout my final year, I have been working closely with my supervisor on projects related to Neuroscience. I believe I am more familiar with this field and also find it more intriguing. Considering that Biomedical Research may be a more general field, I am torn between the two choices. Additionally, when considering the reputation of the universities and the research-based curriculum, IC seems to have the upper hand. I also have a small fantasy of pursuing a Ph.D., and I feel that an MRes program might give me a slight advantage over a taught program.

However, UCL's Neuroscience program is highly regarded, making it difficult for me to let go of the opportunity.

I kindly request your advice and suggestions on this matter. If any of you have relevant experiences or insights, please feel free to share them with me. Thank you in advance!
(edited 10 months ago)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Mrlevineee

UCL - much better known in the field. Imperial is known to be toxic and a university that some students avoid.

UCL medical research links with GSOH - a world leader.
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
UCL - much better known in the field. Imperial is known to be toxic and a university that some students avoid.

LOL Thanks a looooooooooooot!!! Really help me out !!
Reply 4
Original post by TypicalNerd
I’m only just starting undergraduate studies in October, so I’m not exactly the most well-versed in choosing between postgrad courses.

Honestly, it sounds like you’ve answered your own question with “Throughout my final year, I have been working closely with my supervisor on projects related to Neuroscience. I believe I am more familiar with this field and also find it more intriguing.”

Regardless of which option you pick, both are highly regarded universities for research.

As such, I doubt IC having only a slight edge in any regard should sway your decision.

TLDR: Both unis are well regarded, but your offer from UCL sounds like it may be a better fit.

Thank you sooooooooooo much ! ! !
My advice, don't base this decision on what random people tell you on the internet. I have been on this forum for a long time and the no. 1 thing I have learned is that the people who answer these type of threads usually have no idea what they're talking about, and are just repeating what they've read on reddit or quora.
Reply 6
Original post by Snufkin
My advice,

Evidence? I'm a teacher and base my advice on the experience of thousands of former students. I've never been orn either of those ?websites? you mention.
Evidence? I'm a teacher and base my advice on the experience of thousands of former students. I've never been orn either of those ?websites? you mention.

Exactly - you're a teacher, I don't think you have any expertise in 'the field' as you put it. I'm sure you meant to be helpful but your opinion is almost certainly the product of what you have read online.
Reply 8
Original post by Snufkin
Exactly -

Complete rot - I am involved with UCAS and applications - I visit unis regualrly as part of my job. I am far more up-to-date than many of the 'experts' on thsi wesbite. Students do return and speak with us and current students ...
Simple, you are interested in neuroscience.
Complete rot - I am involved with UCAS and applications - I visit unis regualrly as part of my job. I am far more up-to-date than many of the 'experts' on thsi wesbite. Students do return and speak with us and current students ...

With respect, you are only confirming what I said. Your experience relates to general university admissions/applications, certainly not the (presumably, quite complicated) inner workings of a bioscience research lab. I'm not sure what else to say - unless you are a researcher within a bioscience/neuroscience academic dept then there's nothing you could say that would convince me you know enough about this topic to give advice. And that applies to pretty much the whole of TSR, far too many people are giving (well meaning but useless) advice.
Original post by Snufkin
With respect, you are only confirming what I said. Your experience relates to general university admissions/applications, certainly not the (presumably, quite complicated) inner workings of a bioscience research lab. I'm not sure what else to say - unless you are a researcher within a bioscience/neuroscience academic dept then there's nothing you could say that would convince me you know enough about this topic to give advice. And that applies to pretty much the whole of TSR, far too many people are giving (well meaning but useless) advice.

So if I told you that my niece is a post doc researcher in a London uni would you say that I know what I am talking about?

How come imperial is toxic?
Original post by thesun123
How come imperial is toxic?

Student support is poor - pressure is unrelenting and they still are online in some subjects!
UCL is wayyyy better than Imperial and it isn't toxic either. Go to UCL 100%.
So if I told you that my niece is a post doc researcher in a London uni would you say that I know what I am talking about?

Nope.

Student support is poor - pressure is unrelenting and they still are online in some subjects!

All of that applies to UCL too.
Original post by Snufkin
Nope.
t

Certtainly more knowledge than anyone else on this website ... she has worked in more than one uni. One in her degree, another two in jobs, then another for her DPhil then now - all in medical research
Certtainly more knowledge than anyone else on this website ... she has worked in more than one uni. One in her degree, another two in jobs, then another for her DPhil then now - all in medical research

But she's not posting here or answering the OP's question, you are. lol
Original post by Snufkin
But she's not posting here or answering the OP's question,

No but I have spoken to her - she doesn't have an account
Reply 19
Hey guys, I am currently a med student in the Netherlands and I want to do a MSc or PhD in neuroscience, how can I increase my chances in getting in these universities?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending