Currently I have:

C1 : 97
C2 : 93
S1 : 98

I'm doing :

C3
C4
M1

I'm aware you only need 80% overall and 90% in C3 and C4 average.

I'm currently finding C3 hard as I've left it very late for revision. Should I not revise for M1 (probably get 50-60%) and revise very hard for 100^ in C3?

Or should I focus a bit of both and risk not gettin above 90% in C3?

Thanks!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Whatever you got in AS, take away from 300

This is the mark you need for the other module, M1 in your case, assuming you get 90s on C3 and C4 to get the A*

You can't guarantee this but you can get an A* with 12/100 in M1. In theory.

To get an A, assuming you get 80s in C3 and C4, you probably need 30 or 40/100 ums.

So yea, so long as you do well in C3 and C4, you may be able to afford cut back on M1.

This only works if you do well in C3 and C4 which can't be guaranteed, so try your best in this as well, but focus on C3 more if that needs more attention. And try to understand M1, it becomes more simple when you know what is going on :smile:

I personally preferred M1 over S1 :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Ronnieee
I need an A* in maths.

Currently I have:

I'm doing :

C3
C4
M1

I'm currently finding C3 hard as I've left it very late for revision. Should I not revise for M1 (probably get 50-60%) and revise very hard for 100^ in C3?

Not really that difficult to call is it

Focus on C3

If you feel really unprepared for M1 then you could withdraw and sit it in the Summer
Reply 3
Original post by TheGrinningSkull

This is the mark you need for the other module, M1 in your case, assuming you get 90s on C3 and C4 to get the A*

To get an A, assuming you get 80s in C3 and C4, you probably need 30 or 40/100 ums.

So yea, so long as you do well in C3 and C4, you may be able to afford cut back on M1.

This only works if you do well in C3 and C4 which can't be guaranteed, so try your best in this as well, but focus on C3 more if that needs more attention. And try to understand M1, it becomes more simple when you know what is going on :smile:

Awesome advice! Thanks :smile:

Awesome advice! Thanks :smile:

No worries, good luck in your exams!

Which do you have first and how far apart are they?

If it comes down to last minute or tight M1 revision, do past papers and learn from the mark scheme the method of answers.
Reply 5
No worries, good luck in your exams!

Which do you have first and how far apart are they?

If it comes down to last minute or tight M1 revision, do past papers and learn from the mark scheme the method of answers.

M1 is on Wednesday. C3 is Friday. Just done a C3 past paper and got 45/75 :'(. That's why I need to spend a lot of time working on it!

Reply 6
I need an A* in maths.

Currently I have:

I'm doing :

C3
C4
M1

Thanks!

Certainly focus on C3, time seems very tight for you. Try and do maybe 3/4 C3 and 1/2 M1 papers tomorrow.
Focus on C3 because, you can't get an A* without an overall of 180 UMS for C3 and C4. M1 is not as important, you know.
Reply 8
How about you try to do well in all of your exams. I mean, if you were really considering the A*, surely you wouldn't have left it last minute...
@Pride Dude, sometimes people just get trapped in problems of their own, alright? If a person needs to get an A* and there isn't much time left, He/She should be smart while giving it their last shot. Nobody should give up, cool?
Reply 10
Original post by futuresomethin
@Pride Dude, sometimes people just get trapped in problems of their own, alright? If a person needs to get an A* and there isn't much time left, He/She should be smart while giving it their last shot. Nobody should give up, cool?

yeah, but what sort of idiot seriously needs to get an A* but only revises in the final few days coming up to the exam...? I'm sure he's exaggerating, otherwise he's a fool.
Reply 11
Original post by Pride
yeah, but what sort of idiot seriously needs to get an A* but only revises in the final few days coming up to the exam...? I'm sure he's exaggerating, otherwise he's a fool.

Also someone who was going to get an A* would do better than 45/75 a few days before the exam.
Original post by PrinceyJ
Also someone who was going to get an A* would do better than 45/75 a few days before the exam.

I don't know, in a different subject, I've had as low as 40/100 in a past paper nearing the week before the exam and came out with an A with the revision and learning from my mistakes.

It's possible. Revise smart.
I need an A* in maths.
Currently I have:
I'm doing :
C3
C4
M1
Thanks!

Come on, you're clearly a good mathematician, can't you work this one out? :smile:

480/600 = 80% overall
480 - 97 - 93 - 98 - (90 + 90 = 180 across C3 and C4) = 12

If you get 90% across C3/C4, you need 12/100 from M1
Reply 14

Hi, had a look at your calculation and I'm quite sure it's wrong. You need 480+/600 overall and 180+/200 in C3 and C4. Therefore as a minimum, he needs to get -8/100 (so he already has enough), in oppose to 12.

Unless you meant that assuming he gets exactly 180/200 in C3 and C4, he'll need 12, which is correct.

However some advice for C3 (for OP); try the Solomon Papers :http://www.freeexampapers.com/#A%20Level/Maths/Edexcel/C3/Solomon
They're based on the Edexcel Specification and are harder than Edexcel papers. So if you practice with these, you'll find the actual exam relatively easy. Good Luck for friday, I'll be sitting M2 then, anyone else sitting M2?
Reply 15
Original post by \/ibhav
Hi, had a look at your calculation and I'm quite sure it's wrong. You need 480+/600 overall and 180+/200 in C3 and C4. Therefore as a minimum, he needs to get -8/100 (so he already has enough), in oppose to 12.

Unless you meant that assuming he gets exactly 180/200 in C3 and C4, he'll need 12, which is correct.

However some advice for C3 (for OP); try the Solomon Papers :http://www.freeexampapers.com/#A%20Level/Maths/Edexcel/C3/Solomon
They're based on the Edexcel Specification and are harder than Edexcel papers. So if you practice with these, you'll find the actual exam relatively easy. Good Luck for friday, I'll be sitting M2 then, anyone else sitting M2?

Thank you :smile:

Reply 16
I don't know, in a different subject, I've had as low as 40/100 in a past paper nearing the week before the exam and came out with an A with the revision and learning from my mistakes.

It's possible. Revise smart.

Just got 69/75 in a past paper! You're absolutely correct! :smile:

Original post by \/ibhav
for friday, I'll be sitting M2 then, anyone else sitting M2?

I have the pleasure of sitting both. :tongue:
The marking for an A* kind of annoyed me when I sat maths A level. I got 540 plus 97/100 in C4 but I still ended up with an A. Oh well.
Reply 19
Original post by northernsky
The marking for an A* kind of annoyed me when I sat maths A level. I got 540 plus 97/100 in C4 but I still ended up with an A. Oh well.

Oh wow! That's unfair! What did you get in C3?

Quick Reply

Latest