The Student Room Group

Northern European gas leak!

Anyone else smell the gas leak today from NW France it could be sensed from France to places past Northern London:confused:
Reply 1
Original post by joshohill
Anyone else smell the gas leak today from NW France it could be sensed from France to places past Northern London:confused:

Apparently they released the chemical called Mercaptan that they add to natural gas to give it its distinctive smell in order that you can smell a gas leak.

It's the sulphur in the compound that you are smelling. It is pretty strong down here in Devon and the wind is carrying it further up country.

It is completely harmless and non-toxic though, just has an unpleasant odour that should dissipate over time.
Reply 2
yeah im from the isle of wight and was thinking there was a gas leak round school today and then saw it on the news. how did that much manage to get out though ? :O
sorry, that was me
Reply 4
:lies:
Yep it was very strong here, could almost taste it. My Uni sent an email out as there were so many people contacting them about it.
Reply 6
yeahhh apparently was causing nausea for some people! made me feel sick! :/ :jfault: ahha
yeah its a relatively okay chemical, just stinks cos of the sulfur thats all....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending