The Student Room Group

No running water

I came back to my uni house yesterday and when I turned the boiler on it immediately started leaking loads. I turned the water off under the sink to clean up all the water and when I turned the water back on (didn’t even turn the boiler back on) it started leaking loads again. So i had to leave the water turned off and this is coming up to my second day with no running water.

I have phoned the landlord/maintenance man for my property and British Gas. They have promised to send an engineer round three times so far and he hasn’t showed up any of those times. When I phone them I get the sense that it’s just really not a priority for them. But me and my housemates are paying £30,000 a year and a utilities bill on top of that to live here and they’re just planning to leave me with no running water for an indeterminate period of time.

Is there anything I can do? How long are they allowed to leave me with no running water/heating?
Reply 1
call them again and explain how cold it is and that you need the boiler operational so you can have the heating on. generally heating is prioritised by BG in winter rather than water leaks. it is also regarded as "unreasonable' for you to be left without running water for more than 48 hours by a landlord as it is a basic necessity for human survival. check your documents from letting the property and file a formal complaint and gather as much evidence as possible. Sending this may help the landlord to get their backsides into gear
See the Shelter website for information on your rights. It's a housing advice charity.

AFAIK Landlords are allowed 'reasonable' time to fix issues and this duration is not defined by law.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending