The Student Room Group

Is it better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rakas21
Coming from an extremely deprived background by British standards i really don't want my children growing up the same way i did. That's not to say anything my parents did was bad but i don't want them growing up on a council estate and getting involved in petty crime, i want them to have a strong work ethic and be able to stand on their own feet and government handouts and i want them to have the best education possible which is in the grammar/private sector.

As a result of these factors, failing in life is not an option (fortunately i am driven, ambitious and intelligent so i see little reason why i won't).

Good luck my friend.
I like to set myself high standards so I am more inclined to the first option (aim high but fail) as you can learn from your mistakes. I prefer to challenge myself as well, so I would never be happy with just 'scraping' by, by having low ambitions then feeling happy if I've achieved them.

I try not to expect to much from other people though in case I am left disappointed.
Reply 42
If you aim high and fail, you will probably end up with an A instead of the A* you wanted.

If you aim low and succeed, you will probably end up with that B- you were hoping to get.

A is better than B-

Therefore it is better to aim high and fail.

Basically aiming low is NEVER going to get you anywhere further than aiming high, whereas aiming high has the POTENTIAL to get you somewhere you wouldn't if you aimed low.

It's a no brainer
Reply 43
What can we learn from many trivial successes? You learn through failure; and you might as well fail at something difficult than something easy.
fail at aiming high...you have one life to live, one chance....best way ive heard it described is you are a batter at cricket...you have one chance out on the crease so dont hit a duck :P
Always aim high .. If you fail, you get up and you go again!
Original post by midnightL
Results are the only thing that matter in life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What about things that can't be measured by statistics/ results?
Original post by natureartpeace
What about things that can't be measured by statistics/ results?

Example?
Reply 48
Example?

How much people care about you? It's not something you can really quantitatively measure, though you could see it as a result to strive for.
Reply 49
Anything is possible. Have a passion, put your heart and soul into it. You'll get what you want.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I chosen the first option, if you aimed low and succeed. You will think about what if scenarios and live with regret. Always try and aim high then you could. People make degree sound worthless but for someone like me who always to prove something that I am capable working at that level which is where I aiming at and maybe running a business or getting involved in small business and make it grow and become successful.
It has to be the latter for me, it means I would have succeeded & even surpassed my expectations so I'd be more happy than trying my hardest & failing, now that would hurt a lot :redface:
Example?

Experience
Quality
Passion
Romance
I prefer to aim realistically and not get my hopes crushed, as it has happened before when i've aimed high.
Aiming realistically lets me reach a level above my average work output and be happy :smile:
Example?

Love
Integrity
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Vian
How much people care about you? It's not something you can really quantitatively measure, though you could see it as a result to strive for.

So I aim high for caring about someone and fail, or care little and succeed. Sounds like its personally quantifiable, although subjective.
Original post by natureartpeace
Experience
Quality
Passion
Romance

Your experience is surely quantifiable

Quality is surely quantifiable

Passion and romance is personally quantifiable. That is, you may aim to fulfil romantic ideology in your mind, but fail to get there, rather than see through your nuance of romance.
It is better to try hard without any expectations
I would sooner try and fail spectacularly than revel in mediocrity knowing I never tried or what could have been if only I had.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending