The Student Room Group

Unemployment by Race.

Hey.

Before anybody jumps to conclusions, I'm not about to start some racist/xenophobic thread about people of other races being lazy/useless. Nor am I personally going to start raving about immigration (that's up to you if you want to).

What I want to know is any sociological reasons behind a high unemployment rate amongst certain ethnicities, and a lower one among others.

I seem to remember the below chart showing similar results to educational achievement at GCSE, that is to say White kids do the best at GCSE, and Black Caribbean do the worst. Perhaps they're related.

Either way, should be interesting.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Mainly a lack of skills which makes them unemployable. Discrimination is not as rampant as the left would have you believe.
Reply 2
I think there is a bit of discrimination but it is down to people's determination to get a job. There are jobs out there if you are willing to work and if you are also desperate to work. But it is hard and whenever I'm unemployed I always have to apply to at least 10-15 jobs a day to get at least 1 response within 2 weeks.

And I should add that gender discrimination also exists. It's so much harder for my brother to get a job then it is for me.
You have to bear in mind the circumstances in which these ethnic groups came to the UK. Eg the majority of Indians and Chinese who came to the UK were educated people, and so they've integrated well into the labour market whereas the majority of Pakistanis and Bangladeshis who came to the UK were uneducated villagers brought here for factory work. Also, 'Black African' is quite a large group, you have Nigerians who on average are quite successful in the UK because most of them that came here were educated with degrees, and you have refugee groups like Somalis and Conogolese people who do less well on average given the circumstances.
Certain ethnic groups also disproportionately in areas where the local industry collapsed leaving them at greater chance of unemployment.
I'm aware this post has a lot of generalisations, hence the reason I used words like 'average' and 'majority'.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Authority_Song

I seem to remember the below chart showing similar results to educational achievement at GCSE, that is to say White kids do the best at GCSE, and Black Caribbean do the worst. Perhaps they're related.

White kids don't do the best, and poor White kids do the worst out of all poor kids.
Reply 5
It doesn't help that certain religions refuse to let women work.
Original post by Elipsis

Lol I guess thats why my mum has set up her own business.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by TheFrozenLake.
Lol I guess thats why my mum has set up her own business.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only a total idiot would use a single positive example to prove someone wrong.

Here you go:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8054403/Britains-coping-classes-at-breaking-point.html

3/4 of Muslim women are unemployed, and over half of Muslim men.
Original post by Elipsis
Only a total idiot would use a single positive example to prove someone wrong.

Here you go:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8054403/Britains-coping-classes-at-breaking-point.html

3/4 of Muslim women are unemployed, and over half of Muslim men.

That doesn't prove that Islam doesn't let women work. Also I'm interested where they got those stats from, they certainly don't correlate with other stats I've seen (such as those in the op)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by AkaJetson
You have to bear in mind the circumstances in which these ethnic groups came to the UK. Eg the majority of Indians and Chinese who came to the UK were educated people, and so they've integrated well into the labour market whereas the majority of Pakistanis and Bangladeshis who came to the UK were uneducated villagers brought here for factory work. Also, 'Black African' is quite a large group, you have Nigerians who on average are quite successful in the UK because most of them that came here were educated with degrees, and you have refugee groups like Somalis and Conogolese people who do less well on average given the circumstances.
Certain ethnic groups also disproportionately in areas where the local industry collapsed leaving them at greater chance of unemployment.
I'm aware this post has a lot of generalisations, hence the reason I used words like 'average' and 'majority'.

Summed up nicely.
All Indians and Chinese have a good education or are students in UK universities. Fact.
Reply 10
Original post by Dhaal_Chawal
That doesn't prove that Islam doesn't let women work.

No, but it is a key indicator that Muslim men often don't allow their wives to work. Three Quarters is a ridiculous figure. Spongers.
Reply 11
Original post by Elipsis

You don't count as unemployed unless you are on JSA and so this is actually a non-factor.
Reply 12
Original post by Wattsy
You don't count as unemployed unless you are on JSA and so this is actually a non-factor.

lol so they find other ways to bilk the system. Like going on ESA, continuously having children, getting free housing at our expense etc. Either way as citizens they are costing us way way more than they bring in.
Does being a student count as in employment?
Original post by Elipsis
No, but it is a key indicator that Muslim men often don't allow their wives to work.
That may contribute to the stats, and it may be other things such as facing an 'ethnic penalty' when trying to get a job, discrimination, not having enough qualifications or looking after parents or children at home.
Anyway, I suggest you read this.
Original post by Elipsis
No, but it is a key indicator that Muslim men often don't allow their wives to work. Three Quarters is a ridiculous figure. Spongers.

There is no evidence Islam refuses woman to work, The prophet was himself employed by a woman (Khadija) who he later married.

What certain cultures do or do not do does not represent Islam.
Reply 16
Original post by TheFrozenLake.
There is no evidence Islam refuses woman to work, The prophet was himself employed by a woman (Khadija) who he later married.

What certain cultures do or do not do does not represent Islam.

lol typical response after you've been shown up. You can't deny the link between Islam as a religion and the culture of people who follow it.
Do these statistics take people who are unemployed through choice into account?
Original post by Elipsis
lol typical response after you've been shown up. You can't deny the link between Islam as a religion and the culture of people who follow it.

There is no single culture of people who follow it, There are around 60 countries around the world which are predominantly Muslim, Not just the Arab states and the Indian subcontinent, Look into Islamic countries in east Asia and how they're functioning, None of these honour killings, terrorism and so on...There even women Imams (Something seen nowhere else, Even though there is nothing that is in the quran or hadith that says so) in the Muslim majority Xinjang province of China.
Reply 19
Original post by Dhaal_Chawal
White kids don't do the best, and poor White kids do the worst out of all poor kids.

LOOOOL I love your username! Haha

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending