The Student Room Group

GCSE Geography AQA 9 marker

Can someone mark and give my 9 mark response feedback, please?

To what extent has urban change provided London with economic and social opportunities. [9 MARKS + 3 SPAG]

To a small extent Urban Change has provided London which both social and economic opportunities.

One social opportunity of urban change is the cultural diversity in London with 36% of Londoners being from black, Asian or minority ethnic group, meaning there are many cultural events that are held within the city to celebrate this multiculturalism such as Notting Hill Carnival. Furthermore, there is an array of food from different cultures available on nearly every high street in London and a wide variety of music such as from BBC’s Asian Radio Channel. Diversity increases productivity in work forces as bringing together people of various backgrounds with different life experiences can generate ideas or perspectives that others may not have ever considered or been aware of.

Despite this, issue arises through the language barriers and many public services such as schools and hospitals have to provide language translation services which are expensive to supply in every public area.

Another opportunity is Londoners earn 23% more than the UK average which means that they have more disposable income and money to support their families. A higher disposable income means that households have more money to either save or spend, which naturally leads to a growth in consumption. This increase in consumption could increase corporate sales and corporate earnings, increasing the value of individual stocks. Also, due to having a higher income than the average, Londoners are able to pay more taxes which the government can use to for further development, such as improvement on transport systems in order to attract more skilled workers and investors into the city.

Despite the huge wealth found in London, unemployment remains a major issue. London’s employment rate was just 68% in the period October to December 2011, below the average of 70% for the UK. This can be a negative multiplier effect, as the government lose tax revenue from unemployment and have to spend more on benefits for the unemployed. This means less money can be spent on improving the development of the country.

It also cannot be ignored urban change in London has created urban decline in some parts of the city as shown through areas such as Newham have the highest unemployment rates in the city of 14%. This means people have less money to spend so some people may turn to crime or burglary to supplement income, which increases the crime rates in the area making it less attractive for new businesses to relocate to.

Overall, i think that urban change has provided London with some economic and social opportunities; however, it cannot be ignored that many challenged resulted from it, such as urban decline and high unemployment rates.
Reply 1
Original post by blobfish90
Can someone mark and give my 9 mark response feedback, please?

To what extent has urban change provided London with economic and social opportunities. [9 MARKS + 3 SPAG]

To a small extent Urban Change has provided London which both social and economic opportunities.

One social opportunity of urban change is the cultural diversity in London with 36% of Londoners being from black, Asian or minority ethnic group, meaning there are many cultural events that are held within the city to celebrate this multiculturalism such as Notting Hill Carnival. Furthermore, there is an array of food from different cultures available on nearly every high street in London and a wide variety of music such as from BBC’s Asian Radio Channel. Diversity increases productivity in work forces as bringing together people of various backgrounds with different life experiences can generate ideas or perspectives that others may not have ever considered or been aware of.

Despite this, issue arises through the language barriers and many public services such as schools and hospitals have to provide language translation services which are expensive to supply in every public area.

Another opportunity is Londoners earn 23% more than the UK average which means that they have more disposable income and money to support their families. A higher disposable income means that households have more money to either save or spend, which naturally leads to a growth in consumption. This increase in consumption could increase corporate sales and corporate earnings, increasing the value of individual stocks. Also, due to having a higher income than the average, Londoners are able to pay more taxes which the government can use to for further development, such as improvement on transport systems in order to attract more skilled workers and investors into the city.

Despite the huge wealth found in London, unemployment remains a major issue. London’s employment rate was just 68% in the period October to December 2011, below the average of 70% for the UK. This can be a negative multiplier effect, as the government lose tax revenue from unemployment and have to spend more on benefits for the unemployed. This means less money can be spent on improving the development of the country.

It also cannot be ignored urban change in London has created urban decline in some parts of the city as shown through areas such as Newham have the highest unemployment rates in the city of 14%. This means people have less money to spend so some people may turn to crime or burglary to supplement income, which increases the crime rates in the area making it less attractive for new businesses to relocate to.

Overall, i think that urban change has provided London with some economic and social opportunities; however, it cannot be ignored that many challenged resulted from it, such as urban decline and high unemployment rates.

Wow, this is really good answer!! It would definitely get into the level 3 band achieving 8-9 marks. Only improvement I can make is to include as much detail with fast and figures etc, and also be reasonable with how much you write. The exams work by a mark a minute so this should take you roughly 9 to 10 minutes to write - make sure you're including the most relevant information to get the highest marks! Otherwise this is an amazing response!!
Reply 2
I would like some more explanation of the factors you mention. What about “Notting Hill Carnival”, does this introduce new cultural dishes and gastronomy to the general public or allows people to show off cultural pride? I assume you mean halal butchers, Turkish barbers etc as ethnic shops but you don’t give many examples to support the evidence you make. I think you could explain the negative socio-economic impacts of unemployment more. Loss of government through taxation and subsequent reduced capital into reinvestment is evident, but you could represent this as underfunded schools, government cuts to services, the “NHS squeeze”, and especially anti-social behaviour, crime, vandalism and delinquency as well. You could also talk about how black and ethnic minorities are unproportionally impacted by this.

You have some good, valid points, but I would focus on adding more examples and evidence to your points by statistics or naming examples.

@blobfish90
(edited 4 years ago)
Hey please check out this link, it will definitely help you in Geography. Tell your teacher to go further!
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6299512
I would appreciate if you let your friends know too.
Thanks.

Great answer btw!
Original post by esme05
Wow, this is really good answer!! It would definitely get into the level 3 band achieving 8-9 marks. Only improvement I can make is to include as much detail with fast and figures etc, and also be reasonable with how much you write. The exams work by a mark a minute so this should take you roughly 9 to 10 minutes to write - make sure you're including the most relevant information to get the highest marks! Otherwise this is an amazing response!!

Settling In Evening

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending