The Student Room Group

Bring Sharia Law into the UK

All I read about in the Daily Mail is 'muslim' criminals going around raping young girls. Today's criminal decided to blame it on his religion and his upbringing, yet forgetting that some widely thanked and read-about muslim scholars say that the conscience is the first decider of what is right and wrong, rather than the holy book.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2268395/Adil-Rashid-Paedophile-claimed-Muslim-upbringing-meant-didnt-know-illegal-sex-girl-13.html

And so, this is what I propose. For all criminals claiming to be muslim, and having broken UK law in conjunction with Sharia law, a Sharia punishment is to be administered. Therefore any "muslim" who decides to steal can have his hand cut, any "muslim" who decides to rape can be stoned to death by TSR's bloodlusting islam haters. The Sharia punishment can only be administered if 1) they claim to be a muslim and it is beyond reasonable doubt that this claim is true 2) their crime breaks both UK and Sharia law.

What do you guys think of this (not entirely serious) idea?

Scroll to see replies

Stop reading the Mail.
Original post by A Cat
All I read about in the Daily Mail is 'muslim' criminals going around raping young girls. Today's criminal decided to blame it on his religion and his upbringing, yet forgetting that some widely thanked and read-about muslim scholars say that the conscience is the first decider of what is right and wrong, rather than the holy book.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2268395/Adil-Rashid-Paedophile-claimed-Muslim-upbringing-meant-didnt-know-illegal-sex-girl-13.html

And so, this is what I propose. For all criminals claiming to be muslim, and having broken UK law in conjunction with Sharia law, a Sharia punishment is to be administered. Therefore any "muslim" who decides to steal can have his hand cut, any "muslim" who decides to rape can be stoned to death by TSR's bloodlusting islam haters. The Sharia punishment can only be administered if 1) they claim to be a muslim and it is beyond reasonable doubt that this claim is true 2) their crime breaks both UK and Sharia law.

no, since UK laws should be paramount.

Leave the country if you detest UK jurisprudence.
Reply 3
First of all, the article you have linked does not concern a case of rape. Granted, is a statutory rape, but there was no mention that the girl featured in the article (and I will take reading a Daily Mail article with a pinch of salt) was raped in the common sense of the term, but she was under the age of giving legal consent, even if she was happy to perform it.

Second, sharia law as I understand it is very much is an Islamic religious code, and I don't think any religious codes should be implemented in this, or any other, western country that doesn't allow religious morals to come into play in the criminal justice system. I think religious guidelines should not interfere in the day-to-day laws of any country whose citizens consist of those who do not wish to be ruled by religious creed. Even if said country had a certain population of muslim citizens; if the country itself does not have islam as it's state religion, then islamic sharia law should not be implemented in that country nationally. (However, I do know that sharia law can be practiced in the family home, even though it can conflict with UK law).

I understand that England has a state religion, but I do believe that it stands separate, and does not interfere with english common law which is applied to all citizens. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though, I'm not a law student.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Are you seriously that stupid or just massively ignorant. Thats not how sharia law works.

Just because countries like Saudi and Iran punish people in certain ways doesn't mean its Islamic just because its a Muslim country. Quite a load of laws in Iran contradict Sharia Law even though that is also implemented.

Sharia law isn't just for crimes it tells us how to live and pray etc.

I understand you are a troll but for something like having your hands copped off for stealing can only occur if the crime occurred three times and on each occasion there were three direct witnesses, and even then it only applies to Muslims and it is the maximum punishment.

Something like the death penalty only applies to crimes against the land such as corruption, invoking a war, genocide, murder etc which has a negative impact on the whole of society.

Apart from that most crimes just get a death sentence, its not unreasonable its better than the justice system in the uk where only 10% of rapists who reach trial are jailed, where the average sentence for murder is 8 years. 8 years for removing someones right to life and a danger to society.

You cannot have multiple justice systems in any one land as it is in just which is why what you propose will never happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A Cat

No, I think they should be punished exactly the same as everyone else. Punishing them with Sharia law (or even harsher laws to prevent them from giving muslims a bad name) won't solve the problem.

Shariah law is implemented in Islamic countries and yet that's where rape is highest. I don't think the reason is the quran. I think the reaosn is the taboo placed by muslims on sex and on female beauty. If you were a woman living in East London, you would feel scared walking on the street from all the muslim glares around you (mostly from first generation immigrants: I know because you can tell who has an accent and who doesn't).

Rape may be wrong in their religion, but the worst thing that has the most taboo placed on it in their culture is female immodesty. Women who don't cover themselves up properly are whores, sluts, don't respect their bodies, and do deserve to be raped etc.
Reply 6
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
Stop reading the Mail.

Init... and stop believing everything and anything I hear or read.

Original post by Bouffe
First of all, the article you have linked does not concern a case of rape. Granted, is a statutory rape, but there was no mention that the girl featured in the article (and I will take reading a Daily Mail article with a pinch of salt) was raped in the common sense of the term, but she was under the age of giving legal consent, even if she was happy to perform it.

Second, sharia law as I understand it is very much is an Islamic religious code, and I don't think any religious codes should be implemented in this, or any other, western country that doesn't allow religious morals to come into play in the criminal justice system. I think religious guidelines should not interfere in the day-to-day laws of any country whose citizens consist of those who do not wish to be ruled by religious creed. Even if said country had a certain population of muslim citizens; if the country itself does not have islam as it's state religion, then islamic sharia law should not be implemented in that country nationally. (However, I do know that sharia law can be practiced in the family home, even though it can conflict with UK law).

I understand that England has a state religion, but I do believe that it stands separate, and does not interfere with english common law which is applied to all citizens. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though, I'm not a law student.

I think we are very much considered a christian country despite large levels of atheism and lack of religious knowledge. However the church does not create laws, but it can influence them in the same way lobbying groups do. Thanks for your input anyway :smile:

Original post by radiopred
Are you seriously that stupid or just massively ignorant. Thats not how sharia law works.

Just because countries like Saudi and Iran punish people in certain ways doesn't mean its Islamic just because its a Muslim country. Quite a load of laws in Iran contradict Sharia Law even though that is also implemented.

I understand you are a troll but for something like having your hands copped off for stealing can only occur if the crime occurred three times and on each occasion there were three direct witnesses, and even then it only applies to Muslims and it is the maximum punishment.

Something like the death penalty only applies to crimes against the land such as corruption, invoking a war, genocide, murder etc which has a negative impact on the whole of society.

Apart from that most crimes just get a death sentence, its not unreasonable its better than the justice system in the uk where only 10% of rapists who reach trial are jailed, where the average sentence for murder is 8 years. 8 years for removing someones right to life and a danger to society.

You cannot have multiple justice systems in any one land as it is in just which is why what you propose will never happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm massively ignorant. Does that make me stupid too? Also no I am not a troll, although this thread may be considered "trolling". Of course what I proposed will never ever happen. Thankyou for your input anyway. I don't think in Sharia vs UK Justice any one of them is "better", but I seem to be seeing a kind of anti-psychopathy/persistent criminal in your description of Sharia law. UK law seems too favourable to psychopaths who are willing and able to lie in a court, thus the true story is rarely heard.

Original post by Dragonfly07
No, I think they should be punished exactly the same as everyone else. Punishing them with Sharia law (or even harsher laws to prevent them from giving muslims a bad name) won't solve the problem.

Shariah law is implemented in Islamic countries and yet that's where rape is highest. I don't think the reason is the quran. I think the reaosn is the taboo placed by muslims on sex and on female beauty. If you were a woman living in East London, you would feel scared walking on the street from all the muslim glares around you (mostly from first generation immigrants: I know because you can tell who has an accent and who doesn't).

Rape may be wrong in their religion, but the worst thing that has the most taboo placed on it in their culture is female immodesty. Women who don't cover themselves up properly are whores, sluts, don't respect their bodies, and do deserve to be raped etc.

I think the root of the problem is a lack of self-knowledge, so being more easily pervaded by false beliefs e.g. women are worthless. Certainly you have a good point, from which I can derive that culture and society seems to be more of what makes a person, rather than religion.

Thanks everyone for posting. This was a bit of a joke thread tbh, I was just waiting for someone with anti-muslim tendencies to agree with the premise so I could troll them some.
Reply 7
Well from my understanding, your proposal is essentially Shariah Law. True shariah law only affects muslims.
Reply 8
sadly my friend there is no such reality as "should", though I understand your point.
Reply 9
what a random comparison, a girl is equal to a lollipop you've dropped on the floor? I'd expect them to say girls are equal to dogs or something, but a dirty lollipop? How random....

I think the greater focus of this debate should be about what he was taught as this "school". If this is what some Muslim boys are being taught by their scholars/Imams, then no wonder we're having the issue of groups of young Asian men who believe it is okay to groom younger white girls because they consider them trash, sub-human etc. I did watch an undercover investigation, either panorama or dispatches, were they did find a handful of very questionable madrassas who had text books from Saudi Arabia which taught them things which I would say are incompatible with life here. It would seem the problem still exists, I wonder if there is any sort of governing body on what faith schools teach?
Reply 10
Original post by joey11223
what a random comparison, a girl is equal to a lollipop you've dropped on the floor? I'd expect them to say girls are equal to dogs or something, but a dirty lollipop? How random....

I think the greater focus of this debate should be about what he was taught as this "school". If this is what some Muslim boys are being taught by their scholars/Imams, then no wonder we're having the issue of groups of young Asian men who believe it is okay to groom younger white girls because they consider them trash, sub-human etc. I did watch an undercover investigation, either panorama or dispatches, were they did find a handful of very questionable madrassas who had text books from Saudi Arabia which taught them things which I would say are incompatible with life here. It would seem the problem still exists, I wonder if there is any sort of governing body on what faith schools teach?

I agree, such an "epidemic" (which it is not) did not come from no-where, these "values" and beliefs must have been instilled at some point in these criminals' lives, which we can gather was in these faith schools. Perhaps legislate against the teaching of values and beliefs which promote inequality?
Original post by A Cat

Well, there's your problem.
Original post by radiopred

Posted from TSR Mobile

This.
Sharia says there should be a minimum of 3 witnesses or else the person who falsely alleged an innocent would be punished, i don't know the exact punishment tbh though.
I only read the Daily Mail to look at the comments, very entertaining.
It's punishment you are referring to is only for stealing, only if there are three direct witnesses, convicted three times for stealing, the person states that they are a Muslim, and even then it is the maximum punishment.

If there is 1 and they were convicted no it cannot happen probably just a jail sentence.
Reply 16
If one person is saying one thing, but three people are saying another, which "thing" do you choose to believe? The reason it's 3 witnesses is that 3 will give more of and a more truthful account than 1... usually/hopefully.
No this three witnesses and three crimes will only apply to the maximum punishment for stealing and theft, there are other punishments if there is just 1 witness etc such as jail time. It's not a flaw you are only referring to one of many punishments for one specific crime
Reply 18
Yeah it kind of is and it isn't, but from what I've read on this thread it seems maximum punishment is only for maximum undeniability of truth.
Reply 19
I get what you mean but I don't think it works that way. Maximum undeniability of truth = the criminal is more 'deserving' of the punishment. To me Sharia vs UK Law is like giving with one hand and taking with another (no pun intended).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending