The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 860
riotgrrrl
your dsa equipment?

Yes. I have spoken to my assessor (I needed to talk to him anyway, because of a change in needs) and he said it's all to do with SFE now; and not him/university.
riotgrrrl
Anyway, anyone got any advice on how to help with my concentration? I will try anything as its really difficult to concentrate and although it didn't matter much for undergrad I have a feeling it may in post grad!

riotgrrrl
ace - I think with a bit of guidance I'll do so much better because I get fustrated when I know what I want to say but I just can't put the images into words!

ugh i have the same problems :sigh:

so do all unis do these study skills sessions? are they available for everyone or just disabled people?
All universities should have some kind of student learning support provision. How easy it is to find out about and access varies between insitutions though. If you can't find any info for your uni then talk to your tutor, they should be able to point you the right direction.

Study skills support is generally aimed at students with Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLD), so dylexics and the like, but if you're having problems with your work then special or not there should be someone who can help.
I wonder if anyone around here finds it really difficult to find jobs? I was thinking of getting a a part-time job for the 2nd year to earn some money but I don't know the chances of that.. :frown:
Reply 864
blahbloo
I wonder if anyone around here finds it really difficult to find jobs? I was thinking of getting a a part-time job for the 2nd year to earn some money but I don't know the chances of that.. :frown:

i do ... i really need a job this year, with zero income (no loans etc since i'm postgrad), and only fundig for fees, after i paid my accomodation i'm running low on funds to eat and the like. want to avoid getting a bank loan so was hoping to work this summer, but that hasnt happened. so need one during the year.

i am wondering if i could get some students (gcse/alevel etc) in the local town and work as a maths tutor. i have a degree and teaching certificate, and if i could manage to get some work doing that i think it would be ideal for me. just have to advertise myself i guess in the local area as best i can. even an hr a week would make a big difference!
eden
i do ... i really need a job this year, with zero income (no loans etc since i'm postgrad), and only fundig for fees, after i paid my accomodation i'm running low on funds to eat and the like. want to avoid getting a bank loan so was hoping to work this summer, but that hasnt happened. so need one during the year.

i am wondering if i could get some students (gcse/alevel etc) in the local town and work as a maths tutor. i have a degree and teaching certificate, and if i could manage to get some work doing that i think it would be ideal for me. just have to advertise myself i guess in the local area as best i can. even an hr a week would make a big difference!

I think that would be a fantastic idea- my mother also did it for a while for children who needed to better their English. She earned a bit of money too. Go for it! :smile:
Scary Monster
All universities should have some kind of student learning support provision. How easy it is to find out about and access varies between insitutions though. If you can't find any info for your uni then talk to your tutor, they should be able to point you the right direction.

Study skills support is generally aimed at students with Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLD), so dylexics and the like, but if you're having problems with your work then special or not there should be someone who can help.

okay thanks :smile:

blahbloo

I found it difficult, I don't do well in interviews, but I managed to get one in the end (a pretty lowly one :o:) after applying to about 30 or so. There was this interview I had for Waitrose once, and they do them in groups, and talking in groups is something I find really difficult, and it ended up pretty awful :colondollar:

what's your disability?
lotsofsnails
okay thanks :smile:

I found it difficult, I don't do well in interviews, but I managed to get one in the end (a pretty lowly one :o:) after applying to about 30 or so. There was this interview I had for Waitrose once, and they do them in groups, and talking in groups is something I find really difficult, and it ended up pretty awful :colondollar:

what's your disability?

I'm profoundly deaf but I have a cochlear implant. I have pretty good social skills and interviews goes rather well until I tell them that I've got a hearing impairment. :p: Which makes them tut or just don't really say anything afterwards.
blahbloo
I'm profoundly deaf but I have a cochlear implant. I have pretty good social skills and interviews goes rather well until I tell them that I've got a hearing impairment. :p: Which makes them tut or just don't really say anything afterwards.

ohhh :frown: that's harsh of them.

there's someone on my shift who's completely deaf, and he doesn't know how to talk either, apart from a few words!
Reply 869
blahbloo

That's a bit harsh. Did you not tell them before the interview that you're deaf?

there's someone on my shift who's completely deaf, and he doesn't know how to talk either, apart from a few words!

I know someone whose nephew is deaf and can't talk either. A friend of mine who is deafblind can talk, but only talks quietly.
Titch89
That's a bit harsh. Did you not tell them before the interview that you're deaf?

I ticked the disability box so they should have expected a form of disability. I don't think they even looked closely at the form. :p:
Hi there. I'm not disabled - but what I am is interested in learning sign language. I thought I'd try this society to see if anyone here who might be deaf could talk to me about it - which is the best to learn (ASL? BSL?), the relative differences and so on and so forth.

Cheers. :smile:
kuntimagee
Hi there. I'm not disabled - but what I am is interested in learning sign language. I thought I'd try this society to see if anyone here who might be deaf could talk to me about it - which is the best to learn (ASL? BSL?), the relative differences and so on and so forth.

I think BSL would be good for you to learn and get over quick
kuntimagee

hey I work with disabeled children during the holidays and we use the basics, I don't know much but have found it's so much easier to learn when the fluent staff just sign constantly you pick it up, I have a BSL disctionary and try to keep the basics in my head, also this'll sound stupid but there's a programme on the Ceebies channel called "something Special" which is suprinsgly useful :L But yeah it's much easier when you're in a signing enviroment, why do you want to learn ?
kuntimagee

Your local collage should have night classes in it. When was 16, I went to the mine and studied introduction to BSL and BSL level 1. Was fun and you learnt a lot of stuff. So maybe start there?
kuntimagee

Oh and its best to learn the one your country signs. Both are completely different and non interchangeable (as far as I can remember). Where abouts are you situated?
kuntimagee

I'm looking into learning BSL at the moment! I did have some hopes of finding a cheap option, but unless I can convince someone to give up a ridiculous amount of time teaching me, it looks like an expensive local college course is the only option. I've been warned off going down the online or book-based route as everyone I've talked to has insisted learning sign language takes an immense amount of face-to-face contact and conversation.

As someone's said, learn your local variation (or, if you're planning on working/living in another country, obviously, learn that one...).

(Also, hullo everyone, I had no idea this forum/society existed until today. I'm a part-time Support Worker at the moment, and also help run residential courses for- mostly retired- VIPs. My mother, a long-time Disability Officer, has been training me up to do her job for far too many years, as if one day she will regenerate, Doctor-Who-Style, into me. Sigh.)
Thanks for the replies. Expensive course it is then.. I'm currently in limbo but heading back to the UK in a few months. :smile:
Reply 878
blahbloo
I think that would be a fantastic idea- my mother also did it for a while for children who needed to better their English. She earned a bit of money too. Go for it! :smile:

insanely slow reply, but i did go for it! Thanks for the encouragement! have been rather sucessful in it i think. Charged £15/hr, and have had about 7 or 8 students overall, usually about 3-5 a week on average regularly through the year. Dont know what i would have done without it, and thinking of doing it next year too! Really enjoyed it!
Hi there,
I'm currently in the process of applying for my DSA, I have a mild specific learning difficulty (most areas are fine, but my word recall is in the lowest 1 percentile I think?) but a lot of people I know have trouble accepting it because I did well up until college without any extra support - which makes me feel bad about claiming support at times!
I also have a hearing imparement, which I'm struggling to work out if I should declare or not, it's only mild and generally intermittent (I have good and bad days) and plays up in high noise situations, I can hear the wrong word, or only process what i've heard a little while after it was said or I get the noise all jumbled up. (If i'm not concentrating on listening I will miss people trying to get my attention too) and the last time I saw a consultant they said "it's probably a nerve problem" and left it at that. I'm going back to the consultant with the hope they can look at mild ANSD (auditory neuropathy spectrum disorder.) but the thing is I don't think it has "substantial and long term adverse effect on my ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities" and hense I have no idea whether I should claim support for it... I can see it being a real problem in lectures if I suddenly process something late, as i'll end up behind and confused (this can happen in class, but i'll just ask a friend for clarification)

Basically I struggle just enough that it gets in my way, but not enough that I feel entitled to help :\

??

Latest

Trending

Trending