The Student Room Group

AQA BUSS4 June 2013

Considering there was no existing post for this exam, I decided to create one in order to offer help to one another if needed as this exam, in my personal opinion, will be the hardest exam I will ever have to do (this because you need to know ALL the AS topics as well as A2).

The research theme for this year is "Organisational Culture", and the hardest thing is that at this moment you have no idea what questions may come up or what research you need to do.

If you have previously taken a BUSS4 exam then please, do not hesitate to share any tips you deem appropriate and helpful to the success of the BUSS4 examination paper.

Wish you all the best of luck and get revising, revise all the AS topics.

Scroll to see replies

If people find any relevant articles to the research theme post them here if we're allowed to discuss it?

Should be allowed to as its pre-release material
I did BUSS4 this Jan and it was a really good paper.
Organisational culture is perhaps not my strongest topic on the spec but I recommend everyone to use tutor2u.
The amount of resources on that website is ridiculous.
Original post by dan94adibi
I did BUSS4 this Jan and it was a really good paper.
Organisational culture is perhaps not my strongest topic on the spec but I recommend everyone to use tutor2u.
The amount of resources on that website is ridiculous.

As long as get lots of research can I just learn the Organisational Culture topic from the textbook? Surely I don't need to learn them all
Original post by closeenemies
As long as get lots of research can I just learn the Organisational Culture topic from the textbook? Surely I don't need to learn them all

Don't make a mistake.
Of course you will need to learn all the topics in the book, because section B you will get 3 questions that are set on the topics from the book and you'll have to chosoe to do one.
Reply 5
I have no idea what research to even do?
Look on the spec
There are about 4 or 5 bullet points.

Choose 5 or 6 firms ( I have done 7) and relate the bullet points to each firm.

E.g. For innocent smoothies, a great firm to research for this topic, influences on their culture may be the CEO Richard reed.

This will help you gain a better understanding of the research theme as well as the businesses you should research.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dannyboyrises
Look on the spec
There are about 4 or 5 bullet points.

Choose 5 or 6 firms ( I have done 7) and relate the bullet points to each firm.

E.g. For innocent smoothies, a great firm to research for this topic, influences on their culture may be the CEO Richard reed.

This will help you gain a better understanding of the research theme as well as the businesses you should research.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So in all how many pages of research do you think youll have down per company? I'm struggling because for each bullet point I could probably right 1 page per business. That comes to 5 pages of research per business. Do you think thats enough?
Reply 8
i have no idea about the research topic and how to link our research to the exam :frown:
its a 40 marker and i got big pressure on this exam as im not a good essay writer
can someone please help me?
Reply 9
I literally cannot get my head around this unit! It is so confusing and i really do not know what the research theme is telling us to do?
Not confident at all about this research theme. I don't even know how to identify the culture of an organisation!
I neeeed this A* :frown:

What essay structure are people using for this unit?
We've started this unit and I don't know if it's just me who finds it straightforward but basically our teachers always tell us what to do to do really good.
First of all, research is crucial. I read business section every day on my way to school in Metro and it gives me some ideas about companies I can use.
When you do leadership and social corporate responsibility it will give you a chance to look at global businesses and people who are involved in them. Since we started this unit I must have already looked thoroughly at about 15 businesses. Part B essay will simply ask you to talk about companies you know and argue for and against just like in buss3. Part A - I have no idea what other schools are doing for this but in mine we spend lessons doing research and we'll have an essay every week on each topic. Last year's did it exactly like this and even though it's hard work and boring they got very good grades.
I agree wit
h dan94adibi, tutor2u is a great website they give you interviews and videos as well :smile: Good luck!
What businesses should we research then? There's so many businesses to choose, yet it's so hard to find a lot of information for any of them in reference to culture. Not to mention we need research on businesses for the topics that come up in section B.
Anyone got any ideas? I'd like to start revision/research asap, but I'm unsure where to even begin.
Reply 14
Original post by dan94adibi
Don't make a mistake.
Of course you will need to learn all the topics in the book, because section B you will get 3 questions that are set on the topics from the book and you'll have to chosoe to do one.

I need some help on buss4 and I literally have no clue on how to do this exam, need 69ums to get my A overall but seriously worried about this one. Is it alright if I pm you for advice on what you have to do in terms of structure, research and pre release info?
Reply 15
Hey. Just wondering how many business's people are planning on researching? I have a list of 11 businesses I think will be ideal so far, but I just want to know how many I should narrow this down to haha. Don't want to do extra unnecessary research. :/

How many businesses should ideally be researched in detail?

How many businesses are people researching themselves?

Thank you
Original post by Liamp487
Hey. Just wondering how many business's people are planning on researching? I have a list of 11 businesses I think will be ideal so far, but I just want to know how many I should narrow this down to haha. Don't want to do extra unnecessary research. :/

How many businesses should ideally be researched in detail?

How many businesses are people researching themselves?

Thank you

5 well researched companies will get you the top marks.
Remember that you only need to use examples of the companies in your answer so quality of your research will beat the quantity!
Original post by MissPatricia

Hi May I know please which company you have researched so far?

I found this link
http://zigzageducation.co.uk/samplepdf/Business%20and%20Economics/s5000.pdf

I think it is useful, but cant see it full. Has anyone purchased this document? Please help me.

I am stuck.
[QUOTE="Khushirhythm;42020151"]
Original post by MissPatricia

Hi May I know please which company you have researched so far?

I found this link
http://zigzageducation.co.uk/samplepdf/Business%20and%20Economics/s5000.pdf

I think it is useful, but cant see it full. Has anyone purchased this document? Please help me.

I am stuck.

Just had a quick look at that. I wish I had that document it is really useful. :/
Original post by Richyp22
So in all how many pages of research do you think youll have down per company? I'm struggling because for each bullet point I could probably right 1 page per business. That comes to 5 pages of research per business. Do you think thats enough?

What I have done is to write around 3-4 bullet points for each bullet point on the spec.

I have then done this for each company, printed off the doc in a3 and look at it everyday.

It's what my tutor asked me to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending