The Student Room Group

How do I get an A in the 25mark question in a politics exam paper ??

I'm struggling a bit and could do with some help or advice. My exam is in may and I find my weakness when it comes to the 25 mark question. Has anyone got a good structure that could be useful ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
For which paper?
Reply 2
[QUOTE="megantrace;41625778"]For which paper?[/QUOTE

AS Unit 2 - Any question under the 'Consitution' and 'Parliament'. If you just have a general structure that you follow, that may be useful aswell. Thanks.
Reply 3
[QUOTE="Jacqueline10;41626165"]
Original post by megantrace
For which paper?[/QUOTE

AS Unit 2 - Any question under the 'Consitution' and 'Parliament'. If you just have a general structure that you follow, that may be useful aswell. Thanks.

I am bad at 25 markers, so my teacher told me to do this:

Intro (Short)
3 points (match each point with a counter point)
Conclusion and judgement (yes, codified constitutions are better than uncodified because...)

Also: define all key terms in the question as you go along, and use examples to back your points up.

I am taking both Unit 1 and 2 in May :tongue: Would you PM me about unit 1? :smile:

Is this aqa?
Reply 4
Original post by Jacqueline10
I'm struggling a bit and could do with some help or advice. My exam is in may and I find my weakness when it comes to the 25 mark question. Has anyone got a good structure that could be useful ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

See post above, quote went weird :s
Intro by defining the meaning of a key term eg) constitution
List of points for
List of points against
Conclusion (very imp)
And look at mark schemes to see what examiners are looking for :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by ILoveTehran
List of points for
List of points against
Conclusion (very imp)

Posted from TSR Mobile

How many points do you need? :smile: I thought it was 3 and then add counterpoints on. Do you have to do separate paragraphs?
Reply 7
Original post by ILoveTehran
List of points for
List of points against
Conclusion (very imp)

Posted from TSR Mobile

What I tend to do is an Intro, Paragraph for then paragraph against x3 then i finish with a conclusion which sums up whether or not i agree with the statement. Is it more beneficial to just list all the 3 points for and then all the 3 point against rather than balancing it out equally.
Reply 8
As long as you have a balanced argument e.g. 2 paragraphs for and 2 against with some examples, that's the least you could get away with but always do 3 for and against to be sure or go into good detail if you do 2 for each side of the argumment, I'm also doing GOVP 1 And GOVP 2 in May with AQA
Reply 9
Original post by Cottam96
As long as you have a balanced argument e.g. 2 paragraphs for and 2 against with some examples, that's the least you could get away with but always do 3 for and against to be sure or go into good detail if you do 2 for each side of the argumment, I'm also doing GOVP 1 And GOVP 2 in May with AQA

Me too! Got an A on my mock :tongue: 2 marks over; no revision...

What topics are you going to revise for Unit 1? And when are you going to start revising? :smile:
Reply 10
hahahaha, sounds like you quite clever then, my MTG(Mininum Target Grade) set by College is an A and I've got that or above in all my tests, I'll probably revise Participation and Voting behaviour , electoral systems (My preferred two) and parties then for Govp 2 I'll do constitution and Judiciary, with my preferred on Parliament and the Core executive, I'm really bad at starting early revision but when i do it, it's for long periods so as this is two exams probably around mid april! :P
Original post by Cottam96
hahahaha, sounds like you quite clever then, my MTG(Mininum Target Grade) set by College is an A and I've got that or above in all my tests, I'll probably revise Participation and Voting behaviour , electoral systems (My preferred two) and parties then for Govp 2 I'll do constitution and Judiciary, with my preferred on Parliament and the Core executive, I'm really bad at starting early revision but when i do it, it's for long periods so as this is two exams probably around mid april! :P

Same topics for me in Unit 1! I am not that clever, I'm predicted a C (like in everything) because my GCSEs were poor (mitigating circumstances) and I didn't tell the college because I didn't want them knowing as it's only predicted grades :smile:

I am rubbish at long term revision too, short term memory; however, I can remember some things from a while back. We were taught electoral systems back in October and I remembered them and how they worked in my January mock without looking at them since - so if that counts as long term memory then maybe I should start now :colondollar:
Original post by Jacqueline10
What I tend to do is an Intro, Paragraph for then paragraph against x3 then i finish with a conclusion which sums up whether or not i agree with the statement. Is it more beneficial to just list all the 3 points for and then all the 3 point against rather than balancing it out equally.

It depends on how it works best for you. As long as your essay is well and nicely structured, and that you have as many recent examples as possible to back up your points and a good conclusion then you'll be fine. Just make sure your answering the Q and have a debate :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Phil Dunphy
How many points do you need? :smile: I thought it was 3 and then add counterpoints on. Do you have to do separate paragraphs?

It depends what works best for you. As long as you have a clear debate with precise examples (very imp) to back up your points then you shall be fine :smile: and don't forget your conclusion!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys I did politics last year and got a A. My advise is to Make sure you know your topics really well and make sure you understand it! More importantly practise as many past papers as you can and definitely make sure you have as many examples as possible for your exams. Example is key! Hope this helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Same topics for me in Unit 1! I am not that clever, I'm predicted a C (like in everything) because my GCSEs were poor (mitigating circumstances) and I didn't tell the college because I didn't want them knowing as it's only predicted grades :smile:

I am rubbish at long term revision too, short term memory; however, I can remember some things from a while back. We were taught electoral systems back in October and I remembered them and how they worked in my January mock without looking at them since - so if that counts as long term memory then maybe I should start now :colondollar:

They say it's a formula and that it's because I did well at GCSE so all my MTGs are A's in all my subjects but I didn't really feel like I did extrordinarily well especially compared to some people in my school, and ahhahaha, I have that sort of memory where I can't remember minute details and then I'll look at it and it'll all come back, we haven't done a mock yet though we are going to do one for each test, but just like a 45 minute one for every topic so far except pressure groups and also we won't have one on devolution and Europe, (Not enough time to teach them) , problem is next Thursday my teacher has given me a 45 mark exam on Constituion and Judiciary and obviously it's Results day :/
how do people know that they will be retaking the jan politics exam in may i thought the results were coming out next week.
Original post by cherry_heart2047
how do people know that they will be retaking the jan politics exam in may i thought the results were coming out next week.

I am taking it for the first time in May. We don't do Jan exams at my college :tongue:
Reply 18
I am taking it for the first time in May. We don't do Jan exams at my college :tongue:

I've done January Exams in all the subjects but Politics as for some reason they making us do GOVP1&2 In May as oppose to doing GOVP1 in January and GOVP2 in June which my others subjects do e.g. Philosophy and History

oh i get it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending