The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by nukethemaly
Heres a clean F335 Jan 2013 paper if anyone needs it

Thanks a lot! :biggrin:
Quick question, 2. d) in F335 June 2010 which is here.

I understand the molecules not getting as close in t-butanol and that this would cause weaker intermolecular bonds, but I'm confused as to why they would both show instantaneous dipole-instantaneous dipole bonding and not hydrogen bonding, they both have alcohol groups. I'm obviously getting something muddled, any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply 82
Original post by Salmonidae

I understand the molecules not getting as close in t-butanol and that this would cause weaker intermolecular bonds, but I'm confused as to why they would both show instantaneous dipole-instantaneous dipole bonding and not hydrogen bonding, they both have alcohol groups. I'm obviously getting something muddled, any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

They both have the ability to form two hydrogen bonds (two lones pairs on each oxygen) per molecule so talking about hydrogen bond strength seems redundant in this case. All compounds exhibit ID-ID (some experience additional bonding on top of this) and one compound is more branched so it makes more sense to talk about ID-ID forces here.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 83
How is everyone revising?
Reply 84
Original post by Salmonidae

Thanks!

I think it's mainly due to the fact that the large alkyl groups disrupt the nature of the hydrogen bonding. Because more groups can form idid bonds, hydrogen bonds will not be as effectual.

Whereas if you have a smaller molecule like ethanol, there's only one alkyl group, so it won't disturb the hydrogen bonding in a carboxylic acid.

Hope that makes a bit more sense! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, can someone help me on this question?

Thallium(I) bromide is insoluble in water. The main reason for this is the small size of the
negative hydration enthalpy of the Tl + ion. Give two reasons why this value is small.

Why is the charge density small? I thought larger the charge, smaller the charge density?
Reply 86
Original post by hannahhannah1
Hey guys, can someone help me on this question?

Thallium(I) bromide is insoluble in water. The main reason for this is the small size of the
negative hydration enthalpy of the Tl + ion. Give two reasons why this value is small.

Why is the charge density small? I thought larger the charge, smaller the charge density?

Charge density is a combination of the charge on the ion as well as its size. It has a +1 charge which is quite small anyways but also if you look at its location in the periodic table, it has many electron sub-shells so it's a large ion. This means that in any unit volume, there are lots of these thalium ions so the charge density is small as total charge per unit volume is small. Hope that helped. :smile:
Hi, does anyone happen to have the mark scheme for the F334 January 2013 paper? I can't find it anywhere..

Thanks!
Original post by Pandora's Box
Hi, does anyone happen to have the mark scheme for the F334 January 2013 paper? I can't find it anywhere..

Thanks!

Here!

I've also attached the paper in case anyone needs it!
Original post by nukethemaly
Here!

I've also attached the paper in case anyone needs it!

Brilliant! Thankyou! :biggrin:
Reply 90
How's everyone preparing for F335? I'm finding it much harder than all the other modules. I'm thinking about redoing some of the F334 papers for practice as most of the F335 papers are synoptics.
Original post by suncake
Nope, we're halfway through Oceans, and starting Medicines by Design after Easter. Saying that, I did my first past paper today and it literally seemed like most of it was just synoptic from either AS or earlier in A2, with only 1 or 2 things we hadn't covered yet. Not sure whether that's a good or bad thing..!

Posted from TSR Mobile

As you keep doing the papers, you'll realise that it's all very repetitive and feel even better about it all!
Reply 92
Original post by josephtsui
How's everyone preparing for F335? I'm finding it much harder than all the other modules. I'm thinking about redoing some of the F334 papers for practice as most of the F335 papers are synoptics.

Past papers for sure, you'll get used to how they will ask you, especially in the weird style of "synopticity". I'm kind of lucky (in a sense!) that I'm also doing F332 and F334, so most of prior learning I can slot into F335; but I would recommend reading all your notes from F331 to F334, and doing some past paper questions again.

You need to have all bases covered for this exam :smile:
Reply 93
Does anyone know if NaBH4 reduces carboxylic acids to aldehydes?? It just seems logical as it reduces aldehydes and ketones

Posted from TSR Mobile
has electrode potential ever shown its face in this exam!? that would be just uncalled for
Original post by Tikara
Does anyone know if NaBH4 reduces carboxylic acids to aldehydes?? It just seems logical as it reduces aldehydes and ketones

Posted from TSR Mobile

The acidity would decompose the borohydride before its reducing power can be utilized.
Reply 96
Original post by ActaNonVerba
has electrode potential ever shown its face in this exam!? that would be just uncalled for

Nope it's not come up yet! And I doubt it will because its not in the spec!
I recommend reading the spec because it tells you exactly what you'll need to know and what might come up in the exam!:smile: it also tells you exactly what synoptic stuff you need to know
I've done my notes accordingly :smile:
Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 97
Why the formula for potassium chlorate vii is KCLO4 ? doesn't the vii mean that chlorate has +7 oxidation state?
Reply 98
Original post by tsr1
Why the formula for potassium chlorate vii is KCLO4 ? doesn't the vii mean that chlorate has +7 oxidation state?

It means that chlorine in the chlorate ion has a +7 oxidation state.
Reply 99
Original post by AmirHabeeb
It means that chlorine in the chlorate ion has a +7 oxidation state.

shouldn't the question say perchlorate perchlorate ion then? I thought the chlorate is (ClO3)-1 and google was keep giving ClO3 -1 too?

Latest

Trending

Trending