The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do we need to learn the nitrogen cycle?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Does anyone have the January 2013 F335 paper?
Reply 3
Original post by super121
Do we need to learn the nitrogen cycle?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was told no by my teacher. It's more being able to know the oxidation state changes with nitrogen in the cycle.
Reply 4
Original post by david2457
I was told no by my teacher. It's more being able to know the oxidation state changes with nitrogen in the cycle.

Yeah that's true, but I find it very helpful to know the background processes of the reactions; because it helps me memorise it better :tongue:

I think there's a really good diagram on the CGP book, yeah page 81 :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by manpyy
Does anyone have the January 2013 F335 paper?

It won't be released until next year. So unless somebody uploads it on TSR, most likely closer to the exam date, that's the only chance we going to have a look at it :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by abzy1234
Yeah that's true, but I find it very helpful to know the background processes of the reactions; because it helps me memorise it better :tongue:

I think there's a really good diagram on the CGP book, yeah page 81 :smile:

Do we have to learn all those equations on that page?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Do we have to learn all those equations on that page?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's a good idea to memorise them! Or you can just apply redox rules to a given situation on the nitrogen cycle; imo it's not too difficult, just practice them :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by abzy1234
I think it's a good idea to memorise them! Or you can just apply redox rules to a given situation on the nitrogen cycle; imo it's not too difficult, just practice them :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
What would you do for:

Draw a labelled energy level diagram to explain why:

the atomic spectrum of copper consists of a series of lines
the lines in the arsenic spectrum are at different frequencies to those in the copper spectrum.

Nope! :smile:
Reply 11
Do we have to learn which acids and bases are strong/weak or would they tell us in the exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by millie1995
What would you do for:

Draw a labelled energy level diagram to explain why:

the atomic spectrum of copper consists of a series of lines
the lines in the arsenic spectrum are at different frequencies to those in the copper spectrum.

Hmm, I'm guessing this is the synoptic element in colour by design; do you remember working on atomic emission spectroscopy in unit 1? It's basically that. Have a look back on the chemical ideas book to help you recollect.

The lines are in different frequencies because each elements has unique energy levels. So it absorbs a unique amount of energy (to excite electrons to higher/excited energy levels); and so too emits this certain unique amount of energy. Thus, the frequencies of energy absorbed and emitted by copper and arsenic will be different.

You can also add the relationship E=hv (again unit 1 and also unit 2 stuff), which proves that each energy level is unique for each element (as it absorbs different v-frequencies).

Hope that helped! :smile:
Reply 13
Do we have to learn which acids and bases are strong/weak or would they tell us in the exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure they will tell us if its a pretty weird looking acid/base. But from what I've seen, most of them are pretty blatant; for example sulfuric acid, ethanoic acid and sodium hydroxide :smile:
Reply 14
I'm a little bit touch and go with the Agriculture and Industry section. Could anbody perhaps tell me what chemical ideas to revise and any other useful info on this section? Would be very grateful! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
No we've still got oceans to do but apart from that we've gone through all the sections :smile: what have you got left to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Nope, we're halfway through Oceans, and starting Medicines by Design after Easter. Saying that, I did my first past paper today and it literally seemed like most of it was just synoptic from either AS or earlier in A2, with only 1 or 2 things we hadn't covered yet. Not sure whether that's a good or bad thing..!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
I've really got to start revising for this exam... My school enter us for both exams in June, no one does F334 in January so I'm going to having a depressing two months of revision of ahead of me :/

I think we still have three units to finish too! AH!

Closer to the exam, will anyone feel like doing revision questions on this thread with me? I always like that sort of revision :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Pie1213
No we've still got oceans to do but apart from that we've gone through all the sections :smile: what have you got left to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same for me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
What synoptic stuff comes up the most?

Latest

Trending

Trending